You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

Are we really back to defending Floyd or some other criminal?

James, come on. Everyone deserves due process.

You're absolutely right.  But the police officers accused of murdering George Floyd also deserve that.  I think that the image of a black man dying as a police officer kneeling over his neck is very representative of the awful moments of America's history with systemic racism.  It's horrible that Floyd died like that, and I haven't been presented with information that would excuse it. But when it happened, those responsible for it were immediately detained.  There was no cover-up. Floyd had COVID-19 and a lethal dose of fentanyl in his system when he died.  How much does that factor into his death?  I'm just saying those ideas are worth discussing and knowing, and are all part of due process.  But that image also showed how incredibly rare such activity is in today's America versus 70 years ago. I don't agree that those protesting and rioting today have any intellectual connection to the heroes of the 1960s they emulate. 

Floyd's life in its totality should be looked at if he's going to be a martyr.  A bad man shouldn't become a symbol because he suffered a personal injustice.  Hitler doesn't get to become a victim poster for child molestation if historians uncover evidence he was diddled as a kid.  He's still a piece of shit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Holy fuck.

That's a terrifying video.

Fucked Up.

Smoking Guns wrote:

I would like to know what caused this. I was reading the comments and looks like the police were trying to leave to chase a suspect and people surrounded the car to protect the suspect?

The sudden speed comes off as aggressive in nature though.

Logically, if they had police business and were being blocked they could have just kept inching forward at a slow speed and protesters would have been given the choice that they could either be run down or back off. You wouldn't expect the car to suddenly plow forward at very high speed like that. Looks like he really put the foot down.

I'm not anti police but I can't really see a justification for doing it so aggressively if it's just crowd control - only thing I can think of that might explain it would be if someone pulled weapons on them and it was about exiting the situation ASAP...but even then...reverse? It looks calculated to do the host harm.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Holy fuck.

That's a terrifying video.

Fucked Up.

Smoking Guns wrote:

I would like to know what caused this. I was reading the comments and looks like the police were trying to leave to chase a suspect and people surrounded the car to protect the suspect?

The sudden speed comes off as aggressive in nature though.

Logically, if they had police business and were being blocked they could have just kept inching forward at a slow speed and protesters would have been given the choice that they could either be run down or back off. You wouldn't expect the car to suddenly plow forward at very high speed like that. Looks like he really put the foot down.

I'm not anti police but I can't really see a justification for doing it so aggressively if it's just crowd control - only thing I can think of that might explain it would be if someone pulled weapons on them and it was about exiting the situation ASAP...but even then...reverse? It looks calculated to do the host harm.

This.
See that.? That is the reaction of a normal person.
What is wrong with you all that you can't call out something that's wrong? Instead it's left v right, dems vs reps. Everything is an argument and you run in circles to do anything, but admit the truth. It's crazy.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Keep going brah, I find it hilarious how I play with you like a cat with a ball of wool.
I'll let ya steam for a while. See ya later. 14

Lol. The Irishman who links single view YouTube videos with narration as evidence for anything, the guy who stays up until 6 am arguing the politics of a foreign nation on a week night doesn’t play with me. You’re a couple steps up above the guy who said “nigger”, “Spick” and told us we deserve COVID and who has the audacity to comment on anyone else’s language.

You’re playing with me so well!

I told you already it's extremely easy mate, I mean you contradict yourself in near on every post you make. Here let me show you;

But link more YouTube videos with 5k views and some idiot narrating what happened instead of actual evidence. It’s clear it’s very titillating debate

Did you catch it Rocky? Twice in fact.
Here's a clue, another name for that "idiot narrator" is "eye witness".
Guess what an eye witness and video is? Yup, evidence. "actual evidence" even.

Happy to help brah,.... again.

Ball of wool. 14

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

It was after 3:00 am when our Irish friend made that post. I’ll check in to see what Twitter comments and wacky videos he’ll post about tomorrow morning when I get up for my job and take my morning shit. I’m sure they’ll be good and informational.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

So no comment on your ridiculous statement then?
Thought so.

It was after 3am when Irish continued to make rocky look the fool he is. You're welcome.

Edit: ftr he hung around for 10 mins and logged out. Steaming I'd guess.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Isn't it fun to be told how uninformed you are repeatedly by a person who as uninformed as anyone Irish?

Never forget that his main source of 'news' is Tucker Carlson. It shouldn't come as a surprise that all his posts take on that smug, condescending tone that Tucker does.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

The obsession with my country of origin sure is weird. I guess he is threatened that a foreigner is knowledgeable on things outside of his place of birth.
Truth is I probably have more family in America than he does, but let his ignorant old self continue to assume things.

It's actually a step up from calling me a mick, and a paddy, but I'm sure I'm going to have someone here tell me, 'the Irishman' that that's not offensive to Irish people. hmm

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

As far as faggot goes, it's been used for decades by everyone and no one had much of a problem with it. It obviously wasn't meant literally. Gay people have even referred to themselves as faggots...just like how trannies always referred to themselves as trannies until SJWs decided for everyone it was too offensive to ever be said again.

Could he have picked a different insult? Sure... would've been even better for nobody to throw insults.

For the same reasons white people don't use the n-word and understand why they don't, the same applies to both those words. Not using them isn't driven by "SJWs". The roots of people using those words is effectively discriminatory hatred. Those peoples can repurpose those words for themselves, but other folk shouldn't use them.

And Flagg, if it's used in any context to insult a group of people then it is inherently homophobic.

(Sidebar: always felt it was weird how SJW came to be used as a negative label for people, folk fighting for social justice is generally a good thing. Another word/phrase that has been reused until it lost all it's original meaning)

Agreed with you on the part in bold though. This thread would improve greatly if the temperature was taken down a few notches. Doesn't matter who started it but it would be great if folk could stop talking down to each other and acting high and mighty. Can disagree with other folk without having to do that.

On topic: so far US politics feels a lot more boring. Good. It's not supposed to be infotainment, politics being a boring procedural drag is for the best. When it's a frenzied news cycle, with gas being poured on the fire every day less work gets done and compromise becomes harder.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

My take is that the virus was always going to go badly in USA...because...

1. Some really high percentage of your workers have NO savings and live pay to pay. This doesn't go well with the government telling you to stay home.

2. Culturally your whole society and social history puts a strong importance on freedom, individuality and personal rights (see guns etc). This doesn't go well with being told new rules for what you can and can't do to minimise a virus.

3. Heathcare is mixed in the USA - got some of the best shit in the world, unless you are broke in which case you'll have a shockingly bad experience compared to a lot of other western nations. This was never going to go well with something that stresses out the heath system futher like a pandemic.

But those 3 things together and the virus was always going to play out pretty badly over there.

Personally I think you could pick any president and you would have had a shit show regardless because of those factors.

That said - the way mask wearing and other precautions got turned into another political football to play games with is lamentable and disgusting from both sides of politics who seemed to be flip flopping on it the whole time just to point score against each other.

Good news is Americans are kinda a badass optimistic people and I think you guys will cover come this and come back stronger eventually. That's what the USA does.

But it was always going to be ugly first.

I think you nail it with your 3 points. I'd also add it's harder to have a joined up national government approach when really it's a nation of 50 individual governments. Coordinating that is inevitably messy and hard. Also the healthcare point is a big one. Forgetting the disparity between who has access to what, it's also just a fragmented entirely private system. Makes the logistics of any of this really difficult.

Was always probably going to go bad in the USA, I think the only issue is how bad.

Board footer