You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

You Were Never Really Here

Pretty damn good stuff. It wasn't as violent as I thought it would be. The director is really great, really trippy storytelling. I kind of wish Eastwood was starring, it would have been a lot more interesting to see an old man in this role. The story is very 70s, dark, violent, gritty and a bit hallucinogenic.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wrong Turn remake - It's great. It's what the original Wrong Turn should've been.  They dumped the cheesy villains for something more realistic.

Quiz Show - Amazing. Hadn't watched this in eons. Perfect casting. Turturro should've won an Oscar.

One Hour Photo - One of my favorite Robin Williams movies. He probably deserved an award for this performance but the film itself does have some flaws...the biggest being the lack of genuine motivation to be obsessed with this specific family. It also feels like it may have had a rewrite during filming. They don't know who to have Williams' character focus on. It had the potential to take a very dark turn by having him focus on the boy. Just when it appears this may happen, he aims his attention towards the mom/wife. When everything starts unraveling, his rage/envy is aimed towards the father/husband.

I found his actions towards him and his mistress at the hotel to be unrealistic. It's not what one of these types would do in that situation.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Jeepers Creepers— not half bad.  Watchable and at times pretty exciting/ scary but the plot needed work and really holds this film back.  It’s fine as a B level horror film, though it could have been more.

James

James wrote:

Shadow in the Cloud - Ugh. I knew this would be a tad cheesy based on that trailer but I still wanted to see it.

It's awful. About 20 minutes or so is just pure cringe dialogue directed at Moretz for being the only female on the plane.  A waste of time. The film is only 83 minutes. They could've gotten the point across with 30-60 seconds of dialogue... instead they keep going back to it.  I know why they're doing it....it's a shit script and they gotta run the clock out somehow.

It's one of those movies that clearly had some rewrites on set. Sub plots that don't belong.

I had high hopes for Moretz a few years ago. Those hopes are being dashed.

She better be careful....while she is popular obviously, she's on the verge of entering B movie star status. It will only take a few missteps for it to happen.

Rocky 4 - I was reading about Stallone's upcoming director's cut so I decided to watch it again. Stallone is right....the Paulie subplot with the robot was a mistake and falls flat. He's getting rid of it.

Supposedly it's going to have the feel of a real movie and not a series of montages/videos.

You're right....the first 20-30 minutes of Jeepers Creepers is pretty good and then it just nosedived.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Shampoo. I'm not a big Beatty fan but this was pretty good.  It was quite hiliarious at times and did a nice job of being a political/economics satire as well as chronicling the shifting from the 60s to the 70s.  It also worked on a dramatic level for me.

Suspiria (1977) original.  I saw this years ago and found it rather overrated.  So I watched a restored version of it.  Anyway, wow!  This is a really beautiful film to look at.  The plot isn't the best in the Argento canon (Inferno, Tenebrae, and the 1980s Jennifer Connelly one are better) but it's got atmosphere and style in spades.

Retroactive (1997)  B movie thriller starring James Belushi and some hot 90s actress named Kylie Travis.  Very watchable.  One of those "multiple" retry storylines (like Source Code).  There are enough twists and thrills to keep one occupied for the 90 mins runtime.  Oh and Belushi is clearly overacting all over the place.  But he's having fun.

One last note: Why is it I have ZERO interest in anything new Hollywood puts out?  I'd rather watch any and all old movies than anything new (foreign films, exempt here).  The last "new" movie I tried to watch was that Carey Mulligan film and I turned that off after 15 mins.

Oh wait, I'm looking forward to a Nicholas Cage film coming out.  But that's because it's directed by a Japanese director whose films I've seen a lot of.

James

James wrote:

Why is it I have ZERO interest in anything new Hollywood puts out?

I'm the same way. There's a small handful of actors I keep tabs on once in awhile and will sometimes check out a new space or horror movie but other than that....

I don't give a shit.

It's not just age. Our culture is garbage. They are scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent....and the current generation is not getting anyone on the level to replace outgoing icons like Eastwood, Pacino, DeNiro, etc or directors like Spielberg, Coppola, etc.

Think it's bad now?

Wait 10 years.

Instead of watching any movies last night, I watched the first half of season 3 of Gomer Pyle.

Nothing on TV now remotely comes close to how good that show is....and it's not even the best show from that period.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Why is it I have ZERO interest in anything new Hollywood puts out?

I'm the same way. There's a small handful of actors I keep tabs on once in awhile and will sometimes check out a new space or horror movie but other than that....

I don't give a shit.

It's not just age. Our culture is garbage. They are scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent....and the current generation is not getting anyone on the level to replace outgoing icons like Eastwood, Pacino, DeNiro, etc or directors like Spielberg, Coppola, etc.

Interesting that you mention horror, I've actually watched some horror films (mostly 80s)  during the pandemic and they are really fun films.  I mean they don't take themselves seriously but they are usually fun and well made.  Chopping Mall, April Fool's Day, and Spookies are a few that I remember.

Yeah, once those icons pass on, there will be shit. 

Anyway re-watched Clueless the other day.  It still holds up.  Witty and funny and Alicia Silverstone is at her best here.  I laughed at some of the outdated references but so what.  Totally forgot that Jeremy Sisto was in this film.

Silverstone was always at her best as eye candy and a supporting actress type.  She definitely struck when the iron was hot.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

One last note: Why is it I have ZERO interest in anything new Hollywood puts out?  I'd rather watch any and all old movies than anything new (foreign films, exempt here).  The last "new" movie I tried to watch was that Carey Mulligan film and I turned that off after 15 mins.

Oh wait, I'm looking forward to a Nicholas Cage film coming out.  But that's because it's directed by a Japanese director whose films I've seen a lot of.

I think it  has to do with superhero films.  There are no Brad Pitts or Fight Clubs because all the money goes into Marvel/DC. There was no Reality Bites or Swingers because of Avengers/Justice League. No Tarantino's because scripts like that don't get made anymore. Joker was a great standalone movie, didn't even need to be 'Joker', could've just been a Taxi Driver type movie about a crazy dude.

Also, 2020 alot of movies got held back. Personally I'm looking forward to Top Gun (cheesy, I know) The Matrix, Dune & Batman. Should be a great summer movie season!! 9

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

I just rewatched the Godfather trilogy, kind of a different experience watching them through mature eyes and have a new appreciation for them. I watched these for the first time when I was still a teenager during the revival of Scarface in the mid '00s but couldn't understand it, more dialogue and less action.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I recently caught 127 Hours on tv, and I’m quite squeamish with stuff like that. But I started watching it, with the aim of turning it off during “that” scene, but I ended up watching it all.

Very powerful film, and very well executed, in that it’s pretty much him trapped for an hour and a half and it’s still captivating viewing. Highly recommended!

Board footer