You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Guns N' Roses & related STUDIO SESSIONS - a definitive collection (?)

misterID wrote:

I think Mike Clink was the wrong producer. There was a lot of experimentation with production, both good and bad, and there was a war with the mixes. November Rain, Estranged and Coma are no doubt Axl production direction, but a lot of those songs have no real identity and are too similar. I hate to throw out Bob Ezrin because he was a villain in the CD story, but he was still relevant then and would have had to deal with both Slash and Axl. Peter Collins would've been a good choice. The albums just weren't cohesive.

The production on TSI? was phenomenal, though.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Throw Mike Clink out? He was as much responsible for GN’Rs sound as the rest of the band. No one has captured the mix of that band, especially Slash’s guitar tones, as great as Clink has.

misterID

misterID wrote:

On UYI, yeah. AFD was completely different and Mike fit that album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Isn’t November Rain the highest view count video of the 90s on YouTube, well over a 1.6 billion views?  Sure, Shotgun Blues and My World may be great obscure trivia questions in 2021, but to say UYI has no staying power is to ignore the huge success and rotation of many of those songs on every rock station across the world.

So one of the biggest album releases in history has practically been reduced to one song?

I've always wondered how Estranged would have done if it had been released at that moment instead of November Rain.

Only GNR songs I've heard on the radio in the past few years are Jungle, SCOM, and PC.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Isn’t November Rain the highest view count video of the 90s on YouTube, well over a 1.6 billion views?  Sure, Shotgun Blues and My World may be great obscure trivia questions in 2021, but to say UYI has no staying power is to ignore the huge success and rotation of many of those songs on every rock station across the world.

So one of the biggest album releases in history has practically been reduced to one song?

I've always wondered how Estranged would have done if it had been released at that moment instead of November Rain.

Only GNR songs I've heard on the radio in the past few years are Jungle, SCOM, and PC.

Isn’t that the case with most albums? I hear the solid UYI tracks like CW, DC, LALD, KOHD and a few others constantly on Sirius or my local FM stations. No, the illusions aren’t appetite. Appetite is one of the greatest albums of all time, probably top 10. I can only think of 1-2 songs of each zeppelin album including 4 that are in constant rotation, but no one questions that those albums are great. Same with Queen or Metallica. Master of Puppets is certainly one of the greatest metal albums and its title song arguably one of the best songs in the genre. But unless you’re a Metallica fan, Damage Inc. and Orion are probably songs you’ll have to google. Night at the opera? Can you name a song besides Bohemiam?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Isn’t that the case with most albums? I hear the solid UYI tracks like CW, DC, LALD, KOHD and a few others constantly on Sirius or my local FM stations. No, the illusions aren’t appetite. Appetite is one of the greatest albums of all time, probably top 10. I can only think of 1-2 songs of each zeppelin album including 4 that are in constant rotation, but no one questions that those albums are great. Same with Queen or Metallica. Master of Puppets is certainly one of the greatest metal albums and its title song arguably one of the best songs in the genre. But unless you’re a Metallica fan, Damage Inc. and Orion are probably songs you’ll have to google. Night at the opera? Can you name a song besides Bohemiam?

These conversations remind me and teach me how skewed my musical perspective is...

Did anyone else go through the dumb Metallica vs Guns n Roses arguments in light of the tour together? I’ll bet those arguments go in in some places. I was forever jaded against Metallica due to that abuse. Also, have always thought their lyrics were shit.

Moving on...Queen...why do i know so many of the songs just on the album you mentioned?

Back to the original question...does one song eventually define an album? It’s funny to me bc ‘hardcore’ GnR fans hated November Rain, correct me if I’m wrong. Now the song might out live every other song in the discography...

So in 2021...a time where attention spans are short and choices are infinite...i think I’d have to agree...and November Rain is the one that makes people look further?

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching the new generation watch GnR...it actually drives many of them to cry (for whatever reaction videos are worth). November Rain makes 20 somethings cry...wtf?

Sky Dog wrote:

The Illusions separate Guns from bands like Aerosmith, AC/DC and Van Halen. Artistically, in my opinion, it put them up there with Zeppelin. The epics on UYI are phenomenal. axl9221

misterID

misterID wrote:

Axl's Queen obsession took them to another level, which probably broke up that early line up as they (Slash and Izzy) were happy at that Aerosmith level, but UYI, even with its flaws, definitely put them over the top of those bands. Slash coming up with Coma and Locomotive were just as important as the ballad epics, too.

Sky Dog wrote:

No doubt

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

hey guys. sorry for being AWOL for such a long time.
I have updated the sheet at mygnr with whatever I could, including Live Era.
as always - any suggestions for improvements are warmly welcome! smile

Board footer