You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Lol ok ID

What glorified city?

The one codified into federal law - Washington DC.  The one you need an amendment to change, and has zero chance being approved by SCOTUS.

Ohhh that one...the one that has a population larger than like 10 states that have senators

Yep. Just like Puerto Rico and Guam. I’ve noticed the push for those two isn’t as strong, because PR is 50% Republican and Guam would be considered conservative by mainstream standards.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If you are incapable of getting an ID you probably should not be voting. Every US citizen has a right to vote, but I don’t want every uninformed idiot to vote. If you don’t have an ID that is on you.

Every citizen have a right to vote and cost shouldn't be a barrier to that. What if someone's homeless - should they have a right to vote?

You're arguing to restrict voting access based on socioeconomic circumstance (which already is the case in some places).

Anyway, this problem is fixed with free federal issued ID.

Actually I am saying if you are not aware of issues or someone’s platform you morally should not participate in a vote for the most powerful person on the planet. Can they? Sure. Should they? Probably no.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The one codified into federal law - Washington DC.  The one you need an amendment to change, and has zero chance being approved by SCOTUS.

Ohhh that one...the one that has a population larger than like 10 states that have senators

Yep. Just like Puerto Rico and Guam. I’ve noticed the push for those two isn’t as strong, because PR is 50% Republican and Guam would be considered conservative by mainstream standards.

They are self controlled entities are they not? If they choose to join then do what the other states did...

I’m going to guess that the abundance of brown people will be an issue for the Ron Johnson crowd.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If you are incapable of getting an ID you probably should not be voting. Every US citizen has a right to vote, but I don’t want every uninformed idiot to vote. If you don’t have an ID that is on you.

Every citizen have a right to vote and cost shouldn't be a barrier to that. What if someone's homeless - should they have a right to vote?

You're arguing to restrict voting access based on socioeconomic circumstance (which already is the case in some places).

Actually I am saying if you are not aware of issues or someone’s platform you morally should not participate in a vote for the most powerful person on the planet. Can they? Sure. Should they? Probably no.

Are you saying that for anyone where affording ID might be an issue that  they are a) clearly uninformed and  b) even though they have a right to vote it's actually good to create barriers to stop those people voting? That's fucked up dude.

On the status of DC, PR and Guam - as an outsider it's always seemed weird that you have American citizens that do not have the same representation as other Americans. Since congress is a key legislative body within the US it's baffling to me that people who live in these places aren't properly represented there. Seems like a serious democratic deficit.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Are you saying that for anyone where affording ID might be an issue that  they are a) clearly uninformed and  b) even though they have a right to vote it's actually good to create barriers to stop those people voting? That's fucked up dude.

That’s exactly what he’s saying and there are millions that think this way. You see...in America there is no right to vote...it’s more of a privilege. Whenever an election comes around there are a new set of obstacles overcome for a very certain, select people. The awesome thing is that the government employees that are supposed to guide you through the process often don’t care enough or were never trained properly and after sitting in line for an hour they’ll simply reject you for filling out the wrong form or missing something.

It kind of becomes a game.

On the status of DC, PR and Guam - as an outsider it's always seemed weird that you have American citizens that do not have the same representation as other Americans. Since congress is a key legislative body within the US it's baffling to me that people who live in these places aren't properly represented there. Seems like a serious democratic deficit.

This is exactly America. The whole point here is to over represent some people and under represent others.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:

No I am not saying that. I am saying if you are a stupid mother fucker, please don’t vote. Just because you have a right to vote doesn’t mean you should. If you don’t do your homework on the candidates, don’t vote. Stupid people voting can have consequences. This is common sense. I want people aware of the issues that have made a sound decision to vote. It is their moral responsibility to not participate if they are uniformed.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

That’s exactly what he’s saying and there are millions that think this way. You see...in America there is no right to vote...it’s more of a privilege. Whenever an election comes around there are a new set of obstacles overcome for a very certain, select people. The awesome thing is that the government employees that are supposed to guide you through the process often don’t care enough or were never trained properly and after sitting in line for an hour they’ll simply reject you for filling out the wrong form or missing something.

This is exactly America. The whole point here is to over represent some people and under represent others.

Lol, you live such a miserable life. You bitch about everything

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Lol, you live such a miserable life. You bitch about everything

I probably would be happier if i didn’t give a shit about anything like you.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

giphy.gif

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Let's take things down a notch.

I did get a good laugh out of SG mentioning not wanting morons to vote. Years ago I suggested  IQ tests.

ivckk9mdh3471.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=cd7c603ea9f424d6f7fef4bc5be9c285a5934d92

Board footer