You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: When do we hear Hardskool?

tejastech08 wrote:

Hopefully by end of this year.

When do we hear Hard School?

August 13 4%
August 20 0%
September 3 13%
October 1 9%
This year 70%
Next year 4%
Total votes: 23
AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

There is no reason to assume that Oklahoma/Berlin was ever given complete vocals beyond the setlist photo from 2001, and that could have been a mistake. The evidence leans toward it but we don't know for sure. Same thing with Elvis, we don't know 100% that it is Soul Monster just because it it also has Elvis in the title. It's like an 80% probability but not a certainty.

There's plenty of reason to believe it....the fact they had a second album and a handful of extras ready to go.

You telling me Oklahoma is in the category of shit not worth bothering with?

Bullshit....

For songs like Oklahoma and Soul Monster not to make the final cut of 22 would mean there were secret sessions later on that bore fresh fruit....and we all know that didn't happen.

A mistake? A band accidentally put an instrumental on its list of alternates?

Come on....

Do some people just hate these songs and pray that they're nowhere near an upcoming album?

I said in my previous post Oklahoma/Berlin is one of the tracks I want most on the album. So no, I don't hate it. I was skeptical mainly because it was still an instrumental when shown to RS in late 1999, even when he was describing what inspired it. It also had no vocals on the Village discs, and I personally don't believe Bird's claims to have it with vocals.

I did not express skepticism that Soul Monster did not make it to the final cut, I simply stated that we don't know for certain that Elvis is Soul Monster. I certainly want it to be, as it was my favorite of the instrumentals. I am 99% sure though. I don't even really have that much skepticism on either I was more or less responding to Sky Dog's demand I "stop it already" after I simply stated it would be a travesty if Oklahoma and Elvis didn't receive vocals. Not really a big deal.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree it would be a travesty for Oklahoma to not be released. Out of what we've heard, they don't have a better rocker.

Same with Soul Monster although if I had to pick between the two....I'll take Oklahoma.

Skydog was just making the point that we know that after CD, there were 22 finished songs ready to go.

Go look at the Village Sessions track list.

It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out which songs are going to be in the 22.

As far as instrumentals back then, Oklahoma was not the only song heard like that. There were several others....some which were released thirteen years ago.

He had barely started tackling vocals at that point. We're lucky to have heard as many as we have.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I voted for “this year”. I’d guess sometime in September or October. Somewhere my mother in law heard GNR was releasing a new song in October. She most likely heard it on the Today show since that’s basically all she watches. That and the Food Network, but I doubt there’s much GNR talk going on there. They said it would be their first official release in 13 years. I don’t know where they’re getting that information from. If they meant the NEXT song, album, etc.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

I agree it would be a travesty for Oklahoma to not be released. Out of what we've heard, they don't have a better rocker.

Same with Soul Monster although if I had to pick between the two....I'll take Oklahoma.

Skydog was just making the point that we know that after CD, there were 22 finished songs ready to go.

Go look at the Village Sessions track list.

It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out which songs are going to be in the 22.

As far as instrumentals back then, Oklahoma was not the only song heard like that. There were several others....some which were released thirteen years ago.

He had barely started tackling vocals at that point. We're lucky to have heard as many as we have.

Also songs that have been mentioned as written after 01. By all accounts more emerged in the 02-04 period. There's probably more than is on those Village leaks. After that it appears to have truly become just tinkering and legal wrangling.

Sky Dog wrote:

Does anybody else think D Tune has a ton of potential? It may be my favorite of the instrumentals.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Does anybody else think D Tune has a ton of potential? It may be my favorite of the instrumentals.

the Village disks have a shitload of catchy instrumentals indeed, only waiting for lyrics/vocals and ready to go.
the first 4 tracks at RM4 are a brutally good combo for example.

Sky Dog wrote:

I can’t imagine those four not having lyrics axlbucket

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Quicksong, Tonto, Zodiac, Mustache, Oklahoma, Me and My Elvis, Curly Shuffle all sound ready for lyrics and vocals to be written for them. Some of those songs probably could still use a bit of work instrumentally but they sound structurally almost finished.

Other instrumentals need work, a lot just loop the same shit over and over. Ironically, he did some basic vocals for some of these before the more complete sounding tracks.

I'm willing to bet he's got a lot of shit in the tank, based on what we've observed, heard and read.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Absolutely, it’s one of my favourites. The last 2 minutes are sublime

Board footer