You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Taliban control of Afghanistan on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

4 US Marines dead, 3 wounded.

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/live- … n-on-kabul

I understand military lives are expendable, and the public is numb to their deaths.  But 4 Americans are never coming home because this administration failed to plan for an orderly withdrawal.

This is sick.

I don't know what we can do though. Does it warrant an escalation? I would say yes, but...

Are we currently in a position to escalate?  Is it worth risking more lives?

It's already a cluster fuck. Do we risk making it worse?

Do we unite with the Taliban and throttle ISIS? Do we use special forces like Russia in Chechnya and just start killing anything that moves? Do we do limited air strikes to send a message? Do we just forget it happened and keep evacuating?

This is both tragic and embarrassing. I feel sorry for our troops stuck in this hell hole.

No, fuck no.  No more American servicemen need to die to make Joe Biden look competent.  I'm also fucking tired of Biden parading his son's service as something.  Beau was in my Brigade in Iraq.  I met him several times.  He was a lawyer who hung out in Baghdad at Victory and never saw a moment of combat, and spent his 9 months (not 12 months Joe, quit lying) being ferried around Iraq as a VIP.  Not denigrating his service, but his father was the fucking VP his entire 9 months there.  If you don't think he got special treatment, I don't know what to tell you.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Two explosions reported. Reports of US service members caught in the blasts and British citizens who still haven't managed to get into the airport.

What is the take in the UK?  Do British citizens or media place any blame on Johnson for not getting UK citizens out in the past 4 months?  The fact the US, Germany, the UK and France are all scrambling to evacuate people tells me something is completely amiss here.  I know Biden just refused the G7's request to extend the withdrawal, did NATO not think Biden would pull out when he said he would?

People very upset at our Foreign Sec (Dominic Rabb) being AWOL on holiday during the fall of Kabul. He came out yesterday with the excuse that he could not leave his holiday in Crete because “The sea was closed”.

Also generally unimpressed with US readiness but there is a general feeling that at the end of the day the USA has been calling the shots on this the whole time and that the current admin fucked this up. Folk are finally reassessing the U.K./US relationship. The US Defense Secretary even spoke about that yesterday

Can’t be stated enough how this shambles has damaged the perception of America and the trust NATO allies can put in it as a partner. Seems to be sense that NATO allies have been sidelined throughout all this, recent evidence of that includes taking a day and a half to return a phone call from U.K. Prime Minister. Obviously from US side there is the perception that most NATO allies don’t pay their way.

Agreed with you that at the end of the day there are soldiers, citizens of western nations and Afghan citizens who are now dead due to the poor planning of the withdrawal and evacuation. It’s the tragic consequences of the poor planning.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

An escalation by Western forces whilst the evacuation operation is ongoing could make the situation a lot worse.

Afterwards? Maybe, but you’re talking about a guerilla religious terror group that has branches is many countries. This particular branch are in Afghanistan which is now run by the Taliban. How and why do the West cooperate with them on an offensive operation against these groups? I can’t see it, and not sure it would be wise.

I’m not certain the west should have gone in and stayed in Afghanistan as long as they did. And once we were there I’m not certain we should have left as we are doing now. But now this is in motion just get out and think seriously about any more interventions in the future.

Only need boots on the ground if looking to control and occupy. If just wanting to bomb some shit, there’s drones and planes for that.

Randall Flagg

Axl S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Two explosions reported. Reports of US service members caught in the blasts and British citizens who still haven't managed to get into the airport.

What is the take in the UK?  Do British citizens or media place any blame on Johnson for not getting UK citizens out in the past 4 months?  The fact the US, Germany, the UK and France are all scrambling to evacuate people tells me something is completely amiss here.  I know Biden just refused the G7's request to extend the withdrawal, did NATO not think Biden would pull out when he said he would?

People very upset at our Foreign Sec (Dominic Rabb) being AWOL on holiday during the fall of Kabul. He came out yesterday with the excuse that he could not leave his holiday in Crete because “The sea was closed”.

Also generally unimpressed with US readiness but there is a general feeling that at the end of the day the USA has been calling the shots on this the whole time and that the current admin fucked this up. Folk are finally reassessing the U.K./US relationship. The US Defense Secretary even spoke about that yesterday

Can’t be stated enough how this shambles has damaged the perception of America and the trust NATO allies can put in it as a partner. Seems to be sense that NATO allies have been sidelined throughout all this, recent evidence of that includes taking a day and a half to return a phone call from U.K. Prime Minister. Obviously from US side there is the perception that most NATO allies don’t pay their way.

Agreed with you that at the end of the day there are soldiers, citizens of western nations and Afghan citizens who are now dead due to the poor planning of the withdrawal and evacuation. It’s the tragic consequences of the poor planning.

Thanks for your reply.  Certainly puts in context the alleged damage to US International Standing echo'd by people the past 4 years.

Randall Flagg

Death count of American servicemen is now up to 10.  The loss of American Marines and Soldiers for a stupid fucking man angers me greatly, so I'm taking a break from posting here until I can calm down.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

NATO may fracture in the aftermath of this fiasco. If the UK start distancing themselves from the US.... just call it a day.

Biden ignoring phone calls from allies is such a disgrace. Just one more sign he's incapable of handling the presidency.

Walking away from close relations with the US in a post-Brexit world? That should be interesting....

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Death count of American servicemen is now up to 10.  The loss of American Marines and Soldiers for a stupid fucking man angers me greatly, so I'm taking a break from posting here until I can calm down.

Take care dude and if you’re in a place which isn’t great make sure to talk to friends and family. If not any of them, make sure to reach out on here or something.

I disagree with you fundamentally on a lot but still care about how this news affects you.

Agreed with you about this being avoidable. The botch of the evac and the basis of it being about being out by the 20th anniversary of 9/11 is all down to one man and he sits in the White House right now.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

12 American service members dead, 10 more injured. Terrible

James

James wrote:

There's horrific footage of the aftermath of the attack.

We gotta get our people the hell out of there.

James

James wrote:

On CNN their reporter in Qatar said the Taliban hired a terrorist group called the Haqqani for security at the airport...and they are affiliated with Al Qaeda.

This just gets worse and worse....

Board footer