You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: GN'R 2021 Tour Thread

Sky Dog wrote:

Part of me, the positive part, thinks these two songs and EP could be LLAS part deux. A couple of tracks from a prior band…knock knock Hollywood Rose…knock knock Axl’s Orchestra…then a new album from the current band…which includes remaining big guns from Chinese plus fully original songs. I am not buying that  these two new tracks are the end and it will be a 100% second half Chinese.

I also think it may come by year end.

Interesting thought. It does seem logical, doesn't it? Reworking some Chinese leftovers is a quick way to get some tracks out there while you crack on with a new album, keeps the fans sated etc etc.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

The shipment date of the physical Hard Skool single isn't anything major, by that point promo on it is over and they're just finally fulfilling the orders.

It's like writing off the single while offering pre-orders.

By the time fans get the single, it's old news. Any casuals who order it will have forgotten about it by then.

Imagine any other band doing this. That's when you realize what a mess this rollout is.

The singles already in fans hands. There's a digital release and they're playing it live. This is the actual release, the physical release of a single these days is a nice bonus for hardcores who still want to buy CDs, 7" and tapes.

It is normal for any other band or artist to be putting physical releases in their fans hands months after release - especially when it comes to things like physical copies of singles that won't be sold at retailers. That's how things work nowadays.

At least with releases sold at retailers (like albums) they probably would have had their order in by now as they'd be predicting demand based on what retail thinks they can sell - with this release they're taking orders then going to print.

Casuals aren't buying this, it's a niche bit of merch for hardcore fans.

People are freaking out about this shipment and production delay way too much. It's not unheard of today for physical releases to be months later. If it were an album I'd be more concerned.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think the comment about the song being about “lower education” is obviously a joke.

Axl seems to be playful and chatty during this run of shows.

He’s not retconning anything about the song’s meaning, he’s just having fun introducing it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I thought he sounded really good on Hard Skool and Sorry. Lower education was definitely a joke.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

The shipment date of the physical Hard Skool single isn't anything major, by that point promo on it is over and they're just finally fulfilling the orders.

By the time fans get the single, it's old news. Any casuals who order it will have forgotten about it by then.

Imagine any other band doing this. That's when you realize what a mess this rollout is.

The singles already in fans hands. There's a digital release and they're playing it live. This is the actual release, the physical release of a single these days is a nice bonus for hardcores who still want to buy CDs, 7" and tapes.

It is normal for any other band or artist to be putting physical releases in their fans hands months after release - especially when it comes to things like physical copies of singles that won't be sold at retailers. That's how things work nowadays.

At least with releases sold at retailers (like albums) they probably would have had their order in by now as they'd be predicting demand based on what retail thinks they can sell - with this release they're taking orders then going to print.

People are freaking out about this shipment and production delay way too much. It's not unheard of today for physical releases to be months later. If it were an album I'd be more concerned.

Show me one band not managed by Fernando that has nine month delays on physical product. Just one.

I follow very few bands now...all of them legacy acts like GNR...and none of their delays are on this scale.

Foo Fighters recently had a novelty disco album ready to go instantly.

Casuals aren't buying this, it's a niche bit of merch for hardcore fans

Casuals buy singles.... that's the main selling point of singles. The only thing in this release not aimed at casuals is the cassette.

On top of casuals, the next part of the singles/LP market are people who buy and then sell the product on discogs, ebay, etc. These types gobble up a lot of the product.

least with releases sold at retailers (like albums) they probably would have had their order in by now as they'd be predicting demand based on what retail thinks they can sell - with this release they're taking orders then going to print.

This makes it worse!

As if they're a garage band who goes out on club tours, wants to release a single but doesn't know how to gauge their fan base or how much interest, so they make em as the order comes in.

I also like how this reason gets shoehorned into the vinyl factory bottleneck story.

Now I realize how dumb I was to speculate on GNR ever doing something for Record Store Day.

Their management doesn't have the slightest clue what they are doing. Have you seen how many new releases popped up on the release list for the next RSD?

Luckily for fans of those artists, 9 month delays aren't in the cards.

After this release happens, they should do one of two things....

Stick to online releases

Hire new management

The singles already in fans hands. There's a digital release and they're playing it live.

I'm aware we're already listening to it. tongue

That's why I have an issue with scheduling a physical release nine months after I've heard it.

They don't know how to follow through or put together a release. On top of Fernando's admission of not knowing what he's doing (whatever that quote was), this release shines new light on Slash's comments about GNR not knowing how or when to release something. Before I took the comment as looking at various strategies....now I realize it was more literal.

On the other hand...I don't really want to complain. They've released something... which is what I've wanted for years. I'm just tired of the half ass nature of how they operate.

The band and its legacy deserve more.

James

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I think the comment about the song being about “lower education” is obviously a joke.

Axl seems to be playful and chatty during this run of shows.

He’s not retconning anything about the song’s meaning, he’s just having fun introducing it.

I don't watch full shows and haven't in years.

I watched Hard School.

I may have took it out of context but I wasn't aware he had become Rodney Dangerfield between songs.

Now I realize it's probably some sort of joke aimed at Trumpers or the anti-vax crowd.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

I actually think you could be onto something here - if it were the album then perhaps there would be a concern - but this is aimed at hardcore fans who can wait while they listen to the online release (where the vast majority of music listeners consume music).

Still could be on for an album release this year I'm hoping

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Too big to quote all of it but if it were an album I'd agree with you James. I just think because it's a single they don't need to care about how long it takes to fulfil these orders and it doesn't really matter - they're just something small and niche for hardcores. In a way as fans who follow them everyday it's sort of like we get to single release days.

I agree they should be able to gauge demand but the AFD boxset showed that is something they really can't do.

Like I've said elsewhere I wouldn't read too much into the late physical launch meaning other things can't happen in the meantime.

Sky Dog wrote:

5 Chinese songs last night plus Absurd and Hard Skool axl9

29 songs!

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

5 Chinese songs last night plus Absurd and Hard Skool axl9

29 songs!

Yikes.

That's too much.  lol

It's awesome they go all out but I've been saying it since I went to the show four years ago.... it's too long. The crowd doesn't really need that much... especially when you start diving into Chinese deep cuts.

It's why the cash grab stuff a tad harsh even with there being some truth to it....they could cut an hour out of the set and no one would complain.

I agree they should be able to gauge demand but the AFD boxset showed that is something they really can't do.

That was another clusterfuck. Fan interest or lack thereof wasn't a factor....it was that bat shit insane price tag.

No one but extreme hardcores would buy that...and only a handful of them.

They ruined their first box set....which sets the tone for the rest.

If Pink Floyd can't charge 1k for the Immersion sets, why in the fuck did they think they could get away with it? Those are incredible.

Look at Metallica's sets.... amazing and the amount of content above and beyond the call of duty.

Not 1k.

While I'm looking forward to more releases, a pattern has emerged with GNR releases...

Board footer