You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Covid 19

monkeychow wrote:

The whole idea of the HermanCainaward thing is abhorrent to me.

I think it's dangerous to dehumanise people we don't agree with.

If people are refusing precautions in a pandemic because they have lost faith in society, drug corporations,  or the media, or they've been brainwashed or whatever....to me that's tragic rather than funny. It's a condemnation on us all that we were not able to reach these people in time and we allowed society to get this bad.

I get there's a certain irony to seeing the hubris meet fate - but it's real humans in real pain with real families. I think there's something really pathological about the whole idea of it.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I mean, more children died of the flu in the US in 2019 alone than children dying from Covid for its entirety. Yet getting a flu shot was something less than half of this forum does. More children of color have been murdered than children dying from Covid this year. After a year of riots and protests for change, you’d think they’re be a bigger focus on protecting both children and minorities from the real dangers of the real world.

Cloth masks don’t work and every academic peer reviewed study has shown not only that, but wearing the same cloth mask repeatedly increases your risk of an illness (the masks are filthy if you don’t wash them daily and none of you are). But so called experts who parrot what media “experts”who flip flop on the science every few weeks consider themselves the most informed.

The entire medical community was exposed as grossly uninformed on what aerosol versus airborne transmission means based on a TB study done in the 1940s out of Harvard because they just kept parroting the same study until someone in HHS and some academics tried to validate the original 1947 study and realize the micron threshold was completely inaccurate.

Most people have no interest in reading the published studies and are all too eager to regurgitate whatever someone on TV showed them. I linked the CDC site for months where they stated cloth masks do nothing for COVID, but that page was mysteriously and conveniently updated 2 months ago with no explanation or link to a study showing their efficacy. Unless you think a phone survey from a hair salon in St Louis makes a sound qualified study.

It’s just terrifying to me how many people are willing to accept what people in front of a camera tell them without 20 minutes of effort to validate those comments with any kind of research. It’s even more terrifying how many confuse that research with finding a headline from a fear based media outlet (Fox, CNN or anything else owned by a corporation) and think the headline alone makes them educated.

Natural Covid antibodies appear to be just as protective as the mRNA ones, but this scientific reality is dismissed as partisan propaganda.

We just have a bunch of people who’ve avoided any vaccine as an adult now feel they’re morally superior because they finally joined the 50% of us who get annual vaccines. But in the same breath make it known they’ve never got a flu vaccine nor do they plan to now, but claim to act on the benefit of the unvaccinated.

It’s a complete failure to not only not have any intelligence to their risk assessment, but take actions in direct conflict of the media declared risk narrative.

Covid is the new flu. It’s here to stay, and like the flu, it’ll only be a real threat to the unhealthy and elderly. If you care, you’ll get your booster along with the flu shot each fall. I guess we’ll see how many people follow the science and how many follow the corporate media or the politicians asking for more power to save you.

Randall Flagg

Truth and facts for the win

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I'm getting my flu shot Friday. I'm actually behind. I've usually taken it by now.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

At least one good outcome from this whole farce is that everybody are now scared to death of innocent diseases or socially shamed to wash their hands in Stoli ten times a day. Life will become less infectious going forward.

Now that tyrannical measures are in vogue I suggest we punish people who are too careless to stay healthy. Get the doctor in and form an opinion. Out running in freezing weather because you're an idiot? You live at McDonald's? Here take this fine. That just seems a lot more appropriate than demanding people take shots made for profit from heartless corporations, approved by trustworthy politicians.

Randall Flagg

polluxlm wrote:

At least one good outcome from this whole farce is that everybody are now scared to death of innocent diseases or socially shamed to wash their hands in Stoli ten times a day. Life will become less infectious going forward.

Now that tyrannical measures are in vogue I suggest we punish people who are too careless to stay healthy. Get the doctor in and form an opinion. Out running in freezing weather because you're an idiot? You live at McDonald's? Here take this fine. That just seems a lot more appropriate than demanding people take shots made for profit from heartless corporations, approved by trustworthy politicians.

This has been my argument for 20 years. My position on socialized medicine has changed in favor for it over the past decade, but that means no more fat fucks or chronically unhealthy people through personal actions. If we’re declaring the government is responsible for our health, that extends beyond the hospital. Cardio, diet and drug screens should all be mandatory for government care. And yes, death panels too. Your 90 year old dementia grandmother doesn’t need a third hip. She needs to be compassionately euthanized. But the moment you call for any personal accountability or sacrifice, you’re labeled a Nazi.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Solid chance I will get fired. For not taking the vaccine in the next few months.

I am debating whether it's the hill I want to die on. TBH I don't have a problem taking it, but I do have a problem watching others being forced into it. Los Angeles passed vax passports to get into restaurants and indoor areas. Seems crazy. I guess many aren't bothered.

It's a KO on countercultural opinion. Basically saying, "you have to live in our narrative." It may be a true narrative. Still I enjoyed the ability to ignore popular consensus. I think we will be less and less able to do that on more and more topics. Hope I am wrong.

Randall Flagg

I don’t know what nation you’re in, but the order Biden us trying to mandate in the US has virtually no chance of surviving the courts. Justices are going to ask why more deadly and dangerous diseases don’t warrant attention, and unlike of Twitter, pundits and comment sections, advocates won’t be able to slink away when cornered with that fact.

What upsets me are the amount of health care workers who are refusing it. That should be mandatory just as the flu vaccine is mandatory. I know a provider who deals exclusively with severely immunocompromised children, and she refuses it because of her catholic faith and the use of stem cells in the vaccine development. I know an ER nurse who feels the same way and has refused it despite interacting with people on deaths door who might not survive an infection.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I don’t know what nation you’re in, but the order Biden us trying to mandate in the US has virtually no chance of surviving the courts. Justices are going to ask why more deadly and dangerous diseases don’t warrant attention, and unlike of Twitter, pundits and comment sections, advocates won’t be able to slink away when cornered with that fact.

Thanks for the reply Randall. I agree these mandates/firings may not survive legal scrutiny at a later date. "Future justice" or not, many are being fired now. Not sure I will take that leap. Courts will take a long time to settle these things, if they ever choose to. Others in government can choose to ignore the courts anyway. Or so it seems in many cases. I'm not an expert. Anyway, I have time to think about it. Cheers.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Heartless corporations making profit is the economy. Better get used to it.

Board footer