You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

Blackstar wrote:

When Axl did the interview with Rolling Stone in late November 1999 (published early Feb. 2000), the title track was already called "Chinese Democracy". It's not clear from the description if any of the songs had vocals yet, but it seems at least some of them had lyrics:

Song after song combines the edgy hard rock force and pop smarts of vintage Guns N Roses with surprisingly modern and ambitious music textures. In addition to the album's almost grungy title track, tentative song titles include ''Catcher in the Rye,'' ''I.R.S,'' ''The Blues'' and ''TWAT,'' which he says stands for ''there was a time.'' Another song, called ''Oklahoma'' - heard tonight only as an instrumental - was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Not to start any shit, but I wish they could have brought Josh back for the reunion. Slash is a big fan. I listened to Josh's tracks on Slash's solo album and they meshed really great.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am quite sure Josh is completely in the dark about anything that happened after he left. All the Nine Inch Nails stuff, the Replacements stuff, and probably 100 other things he has been involved in. I doubt even Tommy had much of an idea after he did his parts. All this shit gets passed on to Axl and whoever. After that, you really have no idea what they will use or not. Complete fiasco. axl

Sky Dog wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

When Axl did the interview with Rolling Stone in late November 1999 (published early Feb. 2000), the title track was already called "Chinese Democracy". It's not clear from the description if any of the songs had vocals yet, but it seems at least some of them had lyrics:

Song after song combines the edgy hard rock force and pop smarts of vintage Guns N Roses with surprisingly modern and ambitious music textures. In addition to the album's almost grungy title track, tentative song titles include ''Catcher in the Rye,'' ''I.R.S,'' ''The Blues'' and ''TWAT,'' which he says stands for ''there was a time.'' Another song, called ''Oklahoma'' - heard tonight only as an instrumental - was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly.

There were clearly lyrics on those songs in November 1999. Oklahoma clearly didn’t have lyrics in March 2000. That article corroborates the tapes we have.

Cerulean wind
 Rep: -6 

SEP / OCT 1999: Freese leaves. Robin too?
OCT 1999: Axl vocals
NOV 1999: Brian May added to the tracks
DEC 1999: Beaven leaves

FEB / MAR 2000: Beaven and Freese contracts ended.

Is this accurate?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Isn’t it funny that Slash used Josh as his drummer on the Slash 2010 album, probably knowing very well that Axl had used him for the Chinese Democracy sessions.

And as for the suggestion of him being brought out to play for the 2016 reunion tour? I’d welcome that for sure, the guy is an absolute monster drummer!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

metallex78 wrote:

Isn’t it funny that Slash used Josh as his drummer on the Slash 2010 album, probably knowing very well that Axl had used him for the Chinese Democracy sessions.

And as for the suggestion of him being brought out to play for the 2016 reunion tour? I’d welcome that for sure, the guy is an absolute monster drummer!

Would've been great, but isn't Freese more of a session drummer than a live performer?

Sky Dog wrote:

No. He was the live drummer for NIN and was the drummer on The Replacements reunion tour. He does it all.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

No. He was the live drummer for NIN and was the drummer on The Replacements reunion tour. He does it all.

I still watch these rehearsals a few times a year or so.....

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I still watch these rehearsals a few times a year or so.....

[/embed]

Oh man, I absolutely love that NIN rehearsal performance!
The way Josh plays those almost simplistic beats, with so much drive, passion and conviction, is just awesome.

I really wish GN’R had a drummer like that. Frank isn’t necessarily bad, but he is just kinda there isn’t he…?

Board footer