You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

metallex78 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

whhhhyyyyyy can't they just be a normal band and get together in a room and jam some FUCKING SONGS?

Because #axlrose

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Any time I go on a trip for a few days, something happens.

Maybe I should leave more often. tongue

It's just like I thought... reheated Peking duck will be the swan song/bookend to the GNR story.

It doesn't bother me...I've always wanted the second album one way or another.

We'll probably get it within a year.

On the other hand....

Amazing that these guys have been together six years and not a single note of new music recorded.

It's the biggest disappointment of Axl's career....he ran out of things to say very quickly. By the time the late 90s and 00s came around, it was Steph/Erin, one of those dealt with in 87-91....and the breakup of the old band....CITR being the anomaly.

It always amazed me that over the course of the past 20 years, when so much of the world changed, he has nothing to say about it.

Fans had the fantasy of him being a Roger Waters in the face of the reality that he's another David Gilmour. Not exactly but you know what I mean.

They will not be doing new music afterwards. If the plan was to finish CD II and then release new music, they would've started the process of creating new material already.

I'm with Bri on this topic....

The pandemic would tell us so much about the direction this would go and stay on.

We now know they recorded nothing new during the pandemic.

I'll get over it.... it's just a bummer that the second act Axl apparently wanted will just be touring and finally wrapping up the second half of Chinese.

Bring on the reheated Peking duck!!

DtM51 wrote:

Imagine how bored Richard Fortus most be...

Yep...in a band for 20 years and nothing new recorded during his tenure.

That's unprecedented.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

So, how does it feel to realize that this version of the band is really no different than the band in 2010….no new music…just a touring band that has a real deal lead guitarist. Sorry, the bass player is a wash. Tommy and Duff are cut out of the same cloth. Slash is the only difference outside of the obvious…money.

It was the worst of both worlds....

A Chinese lineup without recording anything new and a reunion without two crucial members.

Having said that...

It was the best we were ever going to get.

Simply way too much time was wasted on the road to the reunion to the point all best case scenarios were out of reach.

To achieve a legit comeback and creative spark, it needed to happen in 2005-06.

Kinda reminds me of Floyd fans always wanting a reunion and all they got was the Live 8 performance.

It should've happened in both 1990 and 94...

When feelers were put out right before Waters did that huge show in Berlin that went ignored...and four years later when Gilmour put out feelers for Waters to join them on the tour to perform a few Dark Side tracks... which went ignored.

These bands/artists don't seem to realize that these sorts of opportunities are rare and time eventually runs out.

if they're taking old CD tracks and rebuilding everything but the drums and vocals -

Yikes.....it's not just a rumor that they don't really dig Frank's drumming.

the first is that in some of the songs (Atlas) the whole song could use some extra parts so you might be forced to add drums - like that song needs and estranged style riff imo) - and the second is that I worry they rushed the recording sessions.

They don't need Frank for that....they simply dig through the mountain of Freeze/Brain drum takes and use that.

They already set a precedent for this...using Axl's vocals from Eye On You for Hard School.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

“We’ve been doing a lot of material that’s been sort of sitting around for a while. So that will be a whole focused endeavour unto itself.”

I wasn't expecting them to have wrote any new stuff and wasn't really excited for them to do so. i want to hear what's left of CD II (and III?) and them reshopping it and releasing it was how it was going to happen. The fact that he says "a lot of material" and that this is will be a "focused endeavour unto itself" makes me excited and happy. It's confirmation that more has been done and more will be released.

You wondered about "The General" and "Soulmonster" for well over a decade? Well if any of that is still considered A-List by Duff, Slash and the main man himself then it might all finally be seeing the light of day.

Slash added: “They both have a lot of history. What happened was Axl has all these songs that he recorded at some point along the way.

“And so [McKagan] and I went in and re-did them, basically… Like, I wrote my own kind of parts to what else is going on, and [we] just sort of took the drums and re-did everything else.”

Again, confirmation that there is more than these two tracks and they've worked on more.

I'd prefer to hear these songs as they were in an earlier form, but them being released is the first step towards that happening. One day, maybe we get a boxset or their official release devalues them so much that they're traded more freely and eventually leak.

I say stop whining and just take the good news from this interview. More is finally coming.

Sky Dog wrote:

Good points. There is a lot of potential in the work done on those 4 CD’s. axl

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

So am I reading it right that they have stripped everything bar drums and vocals?
Where does that leave Dizzy, Melissa and most of all Fortus? Are they featured ?

The more Brain and the less Frank the better for me...

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
James

James wrote:

I just noticed something about Slash's comments on reworking CD II....

He leaves out any mention of CD era band members or any mention of new GNR. He only mentions Axl and it's up to the reader to figure it out...most won't bother.

It's by design. The retconning moves on to its next phase.

It's a good sign. They wouldn't even bother if nothing was going to happen with it.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Do you think that Slash is that calculated in his words?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

jimmythegent wrote:

So am I reading it right that they have stripped everything bar drums and vocals?
Where does that leave Dizzy, Melissa and most of all Fortus? Are they featured ?

The more Brain and the less Frank the better for me...

Literally the most interesting thing about the NITL "reunion" was the prospect of Fortus and Slash jamming some new tracks. Beggars belief that they haven't got around to doing that.

Board footer