You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: DJ Ashba says he submitted “8 to 10” new Guns N' Roses songs to Axl

Axl S wrote:

DJ Ashba says he submitted “8 to 10” new Guns N' Roses songs to Axl Rose during his tenure, but they never materialized

“A lot of them were too Appetite-sounding,” the guitarist says, adding, “as a fan, that's what I'd want to hear”

DJ Ashba says he attempted to submit “eight to 10” new Guns N' Roses songs to Axl Rose during his tenure with the band.

In a new conversation on SiriusXM's Trunk Nation with Eddie Trunk, the guitarist – who served six years with GNR from 2009 until 2015 – says that his nature is that of a “songwriter/producer, so, of course, I'm going to keep writing”.

He explains that he wrote “eight to 10 [songs] with Guns in mind, but a lot of them were too Appetite [For Destruction]-sounding.”

“To me, as a fan, I'm like, that's what I'd want to hear,” he continues. “And so I was like, ‘I want to write something that sounds like it came right off of Appetite. I think they hit a little too close to home, but there [were] a couple where [Rose] absolutely... He was like, ‘This song is dope.’

“For whatever reason – we were touring a lot – we never got a chance to get him in the studio. But they didn't go anywhere further than just me sending him some tracks and him going, ‘Ah, this one's dope,’ and ‘This one's cool.’”

Ashba departed the legendary rock outfit in 2015 upon Slash's return. He says that around “85 or 90 percent” of the guitar parts he was responsible for live were originally Slash's, so while he could have remained a full-time member, he says that relearning a three-hour show would have been too difficult. “It's muscle memory”, he says.

Elsewhere in the interview, the guitarist – who is also a prolific session musician – recalls recording “all the rhythm” guitar parts on Mötley Crüe's 2008 album, Saints of Los Angeles.

When questioned on albums he's performed on as a “ghost” musician over the years, Ashba mentions Saints of Los Angeles, saying: “I played all the rhythms on it. But Mick [Mars, guitarist] was awesome. [He] was actually in the hospital at the time.”

Ashba is credited as a songwriter on 11 of the albums 13 songs, with the exception of The Animal in Me and This Ain't a Love Song.

Back in November, the former GNR man gave Italian folk classic Bella Ciao an EDM-inspired, guitar-heavy makeover.

Source: https://www.guitarworld.com/news/dj-ash … oses-songs

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

It would be interesting to hear the songs without any tampering or updating, to understand what Axl was responding to.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

I'm glad these 8-10 songs will forever remain in the "vault". Or at least until Walker releases his redacted versions as "numbers".

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I actually think these would be cool.

DJ's take on Motley Crue on Saints of LA when working with the band did well at capturing the feel of classic motley.

These songs as basic ideas but with Axl adding his flavour, and especially if slash came in and did his thing later over them....I could see that being a really fun retro sounding AFD style record.

Of course it won't happen cos it's GNR. But it could have lol.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He didn't submit 8-10 Guns N Roses songs.

He submitted 8-10 solo Ashba songs Axl threw in the trash.

Actually he didn't even do that...he attempted to do it.

Yeah DJ...I'm sure those songs sounded just like they could've been on Appetite.

Board footer