You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Once Upon a Time in America vs The Godfather.

I think I'm going with Sergio.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Those guys kept making good movies for a while...

Woody Allen(suspected molesting bastard)

I love some of his films...

Broadway Danny Rose
Manhattan
Annie Hall
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Hannah and Her Sisters
Play It Again Sam
Mighty Aphrodite
Sleeper

It's starting to get more difficult to look past his issues. He literally rubs your nose in it in many of his films.

He's either dating a teen girl, wants to date a teen girl, or makes a joke about child molestation.

Last time I watched Danny Rose, the dinner scene with him and Lou's family rubbed me the wrong way.

It's a minor scene. He's sitting next to the young daughter and asks her how old she is....twelve...and he asks her if she's married.

Yes it's a joke...but not really.

I guarantee if he could've gotten away with it, the teen girls would've been even younger in his movies.

I need to dive into his later period of work. I think the last movie of his I watched was Small Time Crooks.

Terrence Malick

I want that alternate cut of The Thin Red Line that would practically be another movie.

M Night Shyamalan

I gotta get around to watching Old. I have it on my computer but always skip it when looking for something to watch.

The Visit was great.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Just watched "Rolling Thunder" (1979) for the first time. Holy shit, what a great movie. I can totally see why Tarantino loves it. Definitely has a Taxi Driver feel to it, but with a former POW Vietnam vet. Tommy Lee Jones is fantastic. I can only imagine what a Deliverance era Burt Reynolds could have done in the lead.

James

James wrote:

Money Ball - I usually avoid baseball movies. Other than Trouble With the Curve, this is the best baseball movie I've watched.

Wargames - Pure nostalgia fuel.

21 Grams - I like the story...hated how it plays out. The editing is too abrasive. It jumps back and forth too quickly.

Papillon (remake) - This was pretty good. I almost rewatched the original but decided to give this one a chance.

The Green Mile - Holy shit was this a slog to get through. They could've told this story in half the time.

James

James wrote:

John Q - This got shitty reviews...I liked it. Yeah it's paint by numbers and predictable as a sunset but a good story.  This might go over better today.

Misery - Another 90s movie I hadn't watched in eons. Flawless. I don't remember Kathy Bates looking so young.  Hard to believe this came out 30 years ago. I wish Hollywood could still make movies like this.

The Big Short - This goes into the category of movies I regret waiting too long to watch. It was amazing. Great cast and Pitt really shined in his small role.

I started to watch Tootsie but fell asleep about 20-30 minutes in. I'll watch it tonight.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'm going to try and watch the Vietnam films that came out in the 80s all at the same time:

Platoon
Casualties of War
Born on the Fourth of July
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill

I can't remember a lot of Hamburger Hill, I saw it once in 1988, but I remember liking it. Casualties really disturbed me. Even more than Full Metal Jacket.

Been reading up on First Blood and Stallone really tucked up what could have been the next Rolling Thunder. Rambo killed everyone in the book. It was going to be directed by John Frankenheimer with Brad Davis playing Rambo and George C Scott as Trautman. That would have been interesting.

misterID

misterID wrote:

My only issue with Misery is the director. It always gave me a very high quality TV movie vibe instead of a full out horror film.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

I'm going to try and watch the Vietnam films that came out in the 80s all at the same time:

Platoon
Casualties of War
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill

I can't remember a lot of Hamburger Hill, I was it once in 1988, but I remember liking it. Casualties really disturbed me. Even more than Full Metal Jacket.

Been reading up on First Blood and Stallone really tucked up what could have been the next Rolling Thunder. Rambo killed everyone in the book. It was going to be directed by John Frankenheimer with Brad Davis playing Rambo and George C Scott as Trautman. That would have been interesting.

I recently rewatched Full Metal Jacket as a 39 year old and was amazed at how much different I see it compared to when i was 17. This movie along with apocalypse now is one of the reasons I was so eager to join the military at 17. The first half is a brilliant deconstruction of how you convince normal men to become indiscriminate killing machines. It is the most faithful representation on basic training any film has attempted to portray.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Platoon
Casualties of War
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill

I can't remember a lot of Hamburger Hill, I was it once in 1988, but I remember liking it. Casualties really disturbed me. Even more than Full Metal Jacket.

The major fuckup with Rambo is the fact they changed it from him dying at the end because they saw sequel potential.

I agree...it could've been an all time classic.

He almost ruined Rocky with the cheesy sequels but that film is just on another level.

Yeah that's a killer list of Vietnam films. Hamburger Hill the weak link there.

Casualties of War gives you a brief glimpse of a different direction Fox's career could've went.

First half of Full Metal Jacket is untouchable.

Cruise robbed of the Oscar for July.

Platoon has an incredible cast. Last time I watched it I was surprised to see Corey Glover in it. I had forgot about him acting.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I started to watch Tootsie but fell asleep about 20-30 minutes in. I'll watch it tonight.

I watched this a while back and I had one big issue.  I found the main character totally unlikable.  In fact, I think the Bill Murray character almost steals the film from Tootsie.

Re-watched Trespass.  It's basically The Treasure of Sierra Madre transported into the 90s and in an abandoned church.  But it's fun as hell on multiple levels.  You have the good guys and bad guys fighting amongst themselves.  And there's the other plot elements that I enjoyed.  I'd say it's probably an underrated Walter Hill film.  It doesn't beat The Driver for my fave Hill film but this one is pretty good.

Board footer