You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Sean Beavan Interview on the album (includes tibits on Bryan May)

AtariLegend wrote:

He wasn't around for Silkworms or Hardschool, he also basically implies that May wanted to join the band originally.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I love Brian May, but I couldn’t imagine him being an actual replacement for Slash. That said, it may have worked in Axl’s favour to have a high profile curly haired guitarist like Brian in his band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

As much as I liked the early Chinese lineups, I'd love to see the alternate timeline with May as the lead guitarist.

It almost guarantees an album release of some sort fairly quickly.

Not around for Silkworms and Hard School?!? These two songs are from earlier in the timeline?

Interesting.

AtariLegend wrote:
James wrote:

Not around for Silkworms and Hard School?!? These two songs are from earlier in the timeline?

I think the implication actually was that they happened later. There's a Freese interview on the same channel, where he says he didn't remember any of Hard Skool when he heard it either. However he also said, they done so many tracks that he might just not remember it.

Also Chinese Democracy's working title was "Smells Like Josh's Spirit" at first.

James wrote:

As much as I liked the early Chinese lineups, I'd love to see the alternate timeline with May as the lead guitarist.

It almost guarantees an album release of some sort fairly quickly.

I think that was the idea from the label. They thought May being involved would inspire Axl to write faster. However it would have re-created the Axl/Slash dynamic.... which Axl clearly didn't want.

Personally I think it says alot about Axl even in 99, if Bryan May of Queen was the more interested party. Clearly Axl still had that star appeal and expectations.

Beavan also didn't remember much about Oklahoma or wasn't sure. He did say though they worked on lots of songs, but his favourites were on the album.

So we need a proper Roy Thomas Baker interview at some point.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I remember Axl saying Brian wasn't happy with how they used his solos on Catcher. Didn't he also work on Atlas?

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:

I can't imagine Brian May wanting to join Guns N' Roses and be Slash's replacement (who he was/is friends with, too). He probably wanted to be more involved to help Axl with the project and maybe turn it into a Rose/May supergroup instead of GN'R, which wasn't what Axl wanted.

Sky Dog wrote:

I believe May was on 3 songs-Catcher, Atlas, and Perhaps.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

Really great interview with a lot of insights! Thank you for sharing!

Makes me wonder if Hard School was there before, then put aside, before being brought back

Sky Dog wrote:

I believe May was on 3 songs-Catcher, Atlas, and Perhaps.

According to Tommy 'Riad' must have been the third...

LlamaRenegade
 Rep: 2 

I find it hard to believe that Beavan wasn't around for HS and Absurd, he probably just doesn't remember them. The track labeled "Old Beavan Mix" on the TWAT New Brain Drums disc is identical to the one on RM1 dated 10/12/00. Silkworms on RM1 is dated only one month later on 11/07/00, while HS on RM3 is dated 11/08/00. Even if Beavan left between the mixing date of RM1 TWAT and RM1 Silkworms, one month is hardly enough time for both Silkworms and HS to be written and have rough mixes prepared.

Adding to that, Beavan says he was still working with the band when Brain joined on. While nothing is confirmed, the drums on the locker versions of both tracks sound very much like Josh, which would mean the songs pre-date Beavan leaving. We can't forget that Josh has a writing credit on Hard Skool too.

Madagascar Old Josh Drums from the New Brain Drums disc is also identical to the version on RM1, dated 11/05/00. This makes it even more plausible for Josh to be the drummer on Silkworms and HS, dated only a few days later.

In my opinion, every song from RM1-4 was mixed by Beavan with Josh on drums, but we don't have enough info to confirm or deny that...

Board footer