You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Do you have to be antagonistic and/or victimized about everything? I told you to look into things like social security. Christ, dude, act like a grown up. Fwiw, I took SG’s post as a reply to mine about abortion legislation.

While you criticize me for being antagonistic you shrug at another’s antagonistic comment. This is why i get so frustrated here.

Mitch, if you think I was brushing off an insult aimed at you, I apologize. Like I said, I took it as him responding to my post.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

To show how worthless Chuck Schumer is, Susan Collins and Murkowski have said they will support codifying a federal abortion protection bill as long as it’s not for 9 months… like the bill that just failed because it couldn’t get enough Democrats to support it. He said no, he’s not compromising, and will bring up the same bill that just failed.

How can anyone think he’s a good leader?

Why bother…we couldn’t get 60 votes in the Senate to cure cancer.

This is an excuse.

They like not doing anything substantial. Due to it being split down the middle, they get to blame Munchin and the dipshit from Arizona for an election cycle of inaction.

It won't happen...but in an alternate universe where a blue wave happens in November, it wouldn't change anything. You're still not getting better health care, student loan forgiveness, etc.

They had a chance to end the filibuster on Obama's watch. They could have pushed through everything on their supposed agenda with no resistance. They refused. They only talked about doing it after the chance to do it was gone.

They're going to twiddle their thumbs into a red wave this November...followed by a likely Republican presidency in 2024...which will be followed by them constantly talking about all the great shit they would do if they had any power.

Notice the pattern?

Fuck...they deserve to lose Congress for the stimulus fuck up alone.

Said "vote for us and we guarantee a 2k stimulus!!"...which of course didn't happen. They had to include the previous Trump stimulus to make it add up to 2k. That's some of that good old "fuzzy math" Bush used to talk about.

Notice they didn't have to include old Trump stimulus money when giving corporations a new round  of billions of dollars.

I know what you'll say....

But the red team wouldn't give 2k!!

Yeah....but they weren't crazy enough to promise it for a vote while funneling trillions to the top.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Like I said, the Democrats just don't know how to govern when they have power.  As much as I dislike Trump, I'm pretty sure he would have somehow gotten them to actually give out 2K.  I mean, he'd do it for all the WRONG reasons but he'd actually do it.

On the disability stuff, I think it's easier to get it if you're a child if you have legit medical documentation.  If you're an adult you have a lot of hoops to hop through and well pray that a doctor can write you something that says the disability is preventing you from working.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

On the disability stuff, I think it's easier to get it if you're a child if you have legit medical documentation.

This couldn’t be any more false. It’s no wonder the average person walks around thinking the system is fucking them.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Mitch, what he’s saying is true. We’ve told you before it depends on the state you live, the amount varies. But people can make a lot of money taking care of disabled children. There are also private organizations that will help.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This abortion debate is completely unhinged. Pure lunacy. It makes the abortion debate of the 1990s look like Sesame Street.

That woman on MSNBC who said she'd joyfully get an abortion is insane. They should've pulled her mic right after saying it.

This type of nonsense will move the needle in the other direction.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Schumer is going to push another bill to “ratify Roe” which allows abortion all the way up to birth. When he tried this a few weeks ago he couldn’t even get 50 Democrats on board. Even people who support Row are against that. Like, all of Europe has stricter abortion laws than Alabama and Mississippi.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

Schumer is going to push another bill to “ratify Roe” which allows abortion all the way up to birth. When he tried this a few weeks ago he couldn’t even get 50 Democrats on board. Even people who support Row are against that. Like, all of Europe has stricter abortion laws than Alabama and Mississippi.

This is what is so frustrating. We have no idea what the final opinion in Jackson will be or what restrictions it will allow. But let’s assume Alito’s 1st draft opinion is the final product - Roe’s conclusion that abortion is an inherent right granted through privacy requirements from the 4th, 5th and 14th amendments is no longer true. State’s can regulate and ban abortion in the majority of situations. It’s important to note that we have no idea and won’t know from Jackson where federal bodily autonomy ends. Someone will sue in a restrictive state for the right to abort in clear instances of danger to the mother. And SCOTUS will have to define when abortion due to physical danger to the mother ends.

Congress and Biden have a real opportunity to score a win here that will help real people and accomplish the ends they profess to desire. I bet they could pass a federal law ensuring the right to abortion up to 15 weeks. A standard set in most of the western world. You have moderate republicans in the senate who want to create some kind of protection. But no. Rather than legislate or govern, they go full wacko and want to legislate infanticide. And morons who don’t know how to have an independent thought suddenly support drilling holes into the brains of crowning babies because they’re told that’s the new definition of support for abortion rights. Ignore the incredibly rare medical instances where such an act would ever be considered, who is in favor of healthy babies and their healthy mothers consenting to murder as the child is birthed?  The people who answer in the affirmative are the nut jobs hanging outside Kavanaugh’s house ready to perform a lynching. And the media portrays these people and this opinion as if it’s rationale or remotely popular. Imagine if they represented people who want to machine gun illegals crossing the border with the same empathy and credibility as they do supporters of the democrat’s current legislation.

They know it has no chance of passing, and probably don’t want to support abortion at 40 weeks. But why accomplish something that can unify people when you can continue to fund raise and try to salvage your midterm slaughter by making Jackson out to be the greatest threat to our democracy since the maintaining of the filibuster and requiring voter ID before that. The lemmings who follow them off the cliff are even more baffling.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The story about the downs teen sitting in the chair is very sad.

I'm not sure if society wise the solution to that is aborting him from the start though.

I worry that's the road to a eugenics themed society.

Like to take it to extremes...my life is pathetic from the perspective of a wealthy person living in Monaco...but I'd rather fix my life than be put out of my misery.  Easier said than done I guess though.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The story about the downs teen sitting in the chair is very sad.

I'm not sure if society wise the solution to that is aborting him from the start though.

I worry that's the road to a eugenics themed society.

Like to take it to extremes...my life is pathetic from the perspective of a wealthy person living in Monaco...but I'd rather fix my life than be put out of my misery.  Easier said than done I guess though.

The real question is can you put your money where your mouth is? Can you tolerate the increase in health insurance premiums to take care of someone else's child? Are you going to complain about taxes going up to build and maintain more group homes?

Because if you can't, then your pontificating seems to be missing something.

Board footer