You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

FlashFlood wrote:

I’d also question his motivation to write new lyrics, let alone record the vocals.

Sky Dog wrote:

Who knows? He could have a book full of lyrics or nothing…he’s quite an enigma. Chances are better on lyrics than vocals

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Who knows? He could have a book full of lyrics or nothing…he’s quite an enigma. Chances are better on lyrics than vocals

See I’m not positive about that claim though. We know from previous posts he has recorded vocals. We do not know there are lyrics from which to complete those vocals. Full circle, see Quick Song.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Duff has done a LOT of great solo stuff since he originally left GNR. I'd love a new Guns album with him singing lead on even one or two tracks. When it came to The Beatles, yes, John and Paul were the primary songwriters but George and Ringo were wonderful in their own right, bringing their own tone and style to the records. Variety made all their albums stronger than they'd be with just Lennon and McCartney on vocals.

If Duff does lead on 3 or 4 we could get a full album's worth of tracks pretty quickly.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

See I’m not positive about that claim though. We know from previous posts he has recorded vocals. We do not know there are lyrics from which to complete those vocals. Full circle, see Quick Song.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about really.

It's speculation on my part entirely, but like I'm thinking of how he might have lots of songs with melody ideas and very rough vocals - but was waiting for proper inspiration to finish them and write something better to be the finished vocal.

Then here we are now where he might have the finished song ideas, but it's no longer so easy to re perform some of these songs.

So like think of songs recorded in 1999 or that era like State of Grace, then imagine he wants to change up some of the lines near the end cos they are hard to hear - what voice does he do it in? The 1999, the 2006, the 2009, the 2012, the 2016, or the 2019?

I guess it won't matter if the odd line is different as Axl has always had a few voices going...and studio mixing is much easier...but I can just see how it might be a harder prospect now than it used to be performance wise.

I was just saying i think the way the hardschool changes were made from other songs supports that concept in a way, or maybe it just wasn't practical to go fresh logistically with the tours or something. Who knows.

I hope we get some of these songs though. I thought State of Grace was great, and Eye on You despite the jokes we make about Mac Daddy has a really pretty vocal and melody in the other parts. Atlas could be pretty interesting with redone slash stuff.

Exciting to think it's only a couple of months now.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

Yeah but also think about this…people want new songs written with Slash and Duff. Is Axl really motivated to write new lyrics? What inspires him? He’s decades older now. Do we just all go on the premise that Axl is constantly coming up with lyrics in a notebook or something? I’m not so sure.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If the seismic shifts in the world during the early - mid 2000s didn't inspire him, nothing will.

It's why his career trajectory is such a travesty...such an amazing talent had so little to say.  What makes it even worse is he appeared to be so ambitious in his youth.

If he was writing like a normal artist, we wouldn't be entering year six of the reunion with nothing but two 20 year old songs.....which is about to have lasted as long as the 87-93 run.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

At this point I just want to hear the studio demo of The General then I’m good. I’ll enjoy the shows for what they are: nostalgia tours. I think the 2019 leaks were great and I still listen to them a lot. Some of the instrumentals were sublime imo. Of course, it would have been amazing to hear full songs but I think that ship has sailed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Yeah but also think about this…people want new songs written with Slash and Duff. Is Axl really motivated to write new lyrics? What inspires him? He’s decades older now. Do we just all go on the premise that Axl is constantly coming up with lyrics in a notebook or something? I’m not so sure.

Yeah, i mean again it's pure speculation on my part, but there's an argument to say it seems to be angst that caused a lot of his lyrics, like AFD is about the turbulent life on the streets - his youthful trouble with the cops, drugs and the whole LA 1980s scene. UYI is mostly leftovers from that mixed with songs about the pain of getting famous and the drama with the media/labels. Then CD was about the legal troubles and the relationship hells he went though.

These days he seems much happier (no drama during shows etc) so who knows what would inspire a song. He seemed pretty anti-trump. And I'd believe the odd humanitarian issue (civil war etc) can inspire him of course. But fundamentally I think as with a lot of artists he's grown into his own skin. Whatever goes on in his mind he seems to have tempered. He's won at life in terms of money and power and all that worldly stuff. I'm sure he still enjoys music. But creation may not be the desperate emotional outlook these days that it once was. Good for Axl....but yeah probably means these 1999 songs are going to have more juice in them than something he makes in 2022.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

Just an update.

i asked if June is still the month, twas said a new song is 'forthcoming', word used, so I presume something is still planned. Slash camp.

I think when the European tour starts, if someone can get hold of the setlist, that'll give a clue, because there's nothing on the internet.

In essence, I haven't found anything useful

Board footer