You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 648 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

He's tired all other legit management the band has had, so I don't think TB is the problem.

I think the problem with Azoff is he saw the inconvenient truth....

New GNR was a waste of time for all parties at that point and it was time to get the beer coaster out the door...at a profit where everyone comes out ahead....

And then get the reunion train on the tracks.


He was right of course...any legitimate management would've saw it for what it was...but Axl wasn't ready yet....

So Azoff gets all the blame for the fiasco even though he was the smartest guy involved. Wasn't one of the reasons for Axls chat and interviews at the time to shit on him?

The problem wasn't what Azoff tried to do...the problem was that Azoff wasn't brought in 6-7 years earlier.

I don't think TB is the problem

They're definitely a problem.

A management team with no actual management experience managing what used to be the biggest band in the world is definitely a problem.

Remember when Jagger shacked up with that model in the 90s and got her pregnant?

Now imagine Jagger and her breaking up and Jagger hires his kid's nanny and her son to manage the Stones.

I think GNR fans are so used to how the cookie always crumbles that they don't realize how crazy the situation really is.

In their defense....Merck wasn't any better. More experienced? Absolutely.

Merck's problem was that he was so bored, he allowed himself to jump into the rabbit hole of GNR forum politics and at the time (2005-6) was bat shit crazy.

And of course this ties into TB....they were intertwined with forums for years before being handed the reins...and not in a good way....

Looking down on the hardcore base with contempt

Happily stating that we didn't deserve an album

Getting involved with various hoarders

The YouTube fiasco

List goes on.


Contempt was a common theme at the time with anyone even loosely affiliated with the GNR camp.....such as Mysteron's claim that fans were "pond scum".

Many major artists would immediately cut the cord when such nonsense not only pops up but is allowed to thrive. In the GNR world, it means that you're loyal and deserve to move to the top of the totem pole.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 134 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

This just begged to be the Hell Freezes Over of the 21st century. Instead of a huge release...they just ran it into the ground with diminishing returns until dropping it.

Yup, sooner or later they'll need to give this thing a jolt to keep going. Only so many times people will pay top dollar to see the same show. Either that or they will need start actually taking long gaps between touring to make people hungry to see them again.


Isn’t that what they’re doing?  Assuming we limit proximity to a 4-5 hour drive, that is certainly the case in North America and if my memory is correct, Europe too. Prior to the 2021 American shows, I hadn’t seen GN’R nor had an opportunity to since they toured in 2016. A 4-5 year gap before returning to the same venue in all but the largest markets seems to be what they’re doing.

Tortilla_Man
 Rep: 0 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

Tortilla_Man wrote:
James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

How many legs of this tour planned this year?

This tour doesn't even have a name. NITL is over and now they're just.... existing

This reinforces my point.

They initially floated promoting new legs with all new shows, set lists, whatever...but this was quickly dropped because they don't have a clue what they're doing.

So now it's just "Go to the show!"


I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in the room with Slash and Duff at various times throughout the reunion.

They completely mishandled the 'Not In This Lifetime" slogan/concept.

This just begged to be the Hell Freezes Over of the 21st century. Instead of a huge release...they just ran it into the ground with diminishing returns until dropping it.


That reminded of the 2016 cover story in Classic Rock magazine about the GnR Reunion.
The 2nd biggest story in the issue was a tribute to The Eagles Glenn Frey who had recently died.

And just like that He'll Freezes Over became Not In This Lifetime.

Made me think, If they devil is keeping score, he needed a new horse in the race.

James
 Rep: 648 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

James wrote:
Tortilla_Man wrote:
James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

This tour doesn't even have a name. NITL is over and now they're just.... existing

This reinforces my point.

They initially floated promoting new legs with all new shows, set lists, whatever...but this was quickly dropped because they don't have a clue what they're doing.

So now it's just "Go to the show!"


I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in the room with Slash and Duff at various times throughout the reunion.

They completely mishandled the 'Not In This Lifetime" slogan/concept.

This just begged to be the Hell Freezes Over of the 21st century. Instead of a huge release...they just ran it into the ground with diminishing returns until dropping it.


That reminded of the 2016 cover story in Classic Rock magazine about the GnR Reunion.
The 2nd biggest story in the issue was a tribute to The Eagles Glenn Frey who had recently died.

And just like that He'll Freezes Over became Not In This Lifetime.

Made me think, If they devil is keeping score, he needed a new horse in the race.

Even though Axl said the infamous quote a few years before it happened, I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he said it.

Like the ex tour manager admitted that back in 2011 Axl told him a reunion would happen but he wasn't ready yet...

It was on his mind... probably on a daily basis as the CD years dragged on.

Like everything else though...this too was squandered.

Incredible that not a single album or compilation will have that as its title. Imagine the Eagles not using Hell Freezes Over...

Scabbie
 Rep: 32 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

Scabbie wrote:

Talking of names, what was that other phrase that someone found was listed and was rumoured to be an album title then withdrawn at some point? (Memory very bad these days sorry)

James
 Rep: 648 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Talking of names, what was that other phrase that someone found was listed and was rumoured to be an album title then withdrawn at some point? (Memory very bad these days sorry)


Stay of Execution


It was actually a killer title.

misterID
 Rep: 473 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

misterID wrote:

I honestly think TB is running things exactly how he wants it run.

slashsfro
 Rep: 52 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I honestly think TB is running things exactly how he wants it run.

If that's true, that's the biggest problem.  It's that he doesn't really care that it looks like a clown show.  On the music (or lack of): that's on him and has been consistent over multiple managers.  I'll give TB a break on that one.

At some point the well is going to dry up though.  And they are going to have to be run professionally.

Scabbie
 Rep: 32 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

Scabbie wrote:
James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Talking of names, what was that other phrase that someone found was listed and was rumoured to be an album title then withdrawn at some point? (Memory very bad these days sorry)


Stay of Execution


It was actually a killer title.

That’s the one, thank you. Does anyone have any idea what it was meant for?

James
 Rep: 648 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I honestly think TB is running things exactly how he wants it run.

Unfortunately...so do I.

If you're not interested in doing anything creatively and only care about the nostalgia cash register, you can easily ride the wave of such decisions as placing them at the steering wheel.

Previous talks of new albums, film scores, and books...null and void.

Such a stance allows anniversaries to be a year or two late...but he probably thinks it's funny as he was always notorious for late entrances. Used to joke about being late to his own funeral.

Shoddy releases of a single here and there? No big deal...as it doesn't move the needle in either direction.

It's only the hardcore fans who lose in this dynamic.

Casual fans don't lose at all....they put on lengthy shows. If your only interest is to hear the old hits live, you couldn't find a better band to like.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB