You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: GN’R 2022 Tour Thread

metallex78 wrote:

They debuted Street of Dreams at their most recent show. Robins solo part was oddly split between Slash and Fortus.

Oddly split between Slash doing wibbly shred exercises and Fortus playing the actual solo, you mean.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:

First TIL and now this.. why Slash, why? sad

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I’ve liked Slash’s take on Chinese solos. This one was lame and uninspired.

Axl wasn’t his best on it either. Probably should keep it in the back pocket.

elevendayempire

Izzyjim wrote:

I like what he did with TIL, for the most part. The Orlando 2016 rendition of it, in particular. SoD, though… it's just needless fast runs up and down the fretboard.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Izzyjim wrote:

I like what he did with TIL, for the most part. The Orlando 2016 rendition of it, in particular. SoD, though… it's just needless fast runs up and down the fretboard.

I'll have to check that, but I have to say it was disappointing when I saw them live.

Back then I don't think there were any solo on Madagascar, just rhythm - and it was disappointing as well

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

From the clips I saw I thought Axl sounded a little better and more inspired

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

In the reviews people always say that the band is great but the vocals are not what they used to be.

Certainly there is no arguing with the last part, but I feel the same is equally true of "the band" (ie. Slash). Dude has lost it imo. When you listen to Angus Young play you are impressed with the clarity in his playing and the way it still sounds completely old school.

Slash on the other hand has degenerated into complacent noodling. Maybe it got to his head and he thinks he can get away with doing whatever? Or maybe he just doesn't care? The guy used to be a master soloist and now he can't even get the tone right for his own hits. Unforgivable imo. At least Axl is trying.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Slash on TIL - i get the impression he just wings it every night around a vague structure. Like he's covering robins structure but with a touch of his modern shred and with some of his own taste when he's in the mood.

Because he is Slash this means occasionally he hits a magical place where it elevates the song and is an incredibly cool moment.

Other nights it degenerates into improv and random noodles and is forgettable and probably annoying to people who know the original well.

it's one of those things. But when you watch like heaps of versions of it from 2016 and 2017 and so on you occasionally find a great one.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

I agree. Sometimes I wonder if he’s even playing to the right song

elevendayempire

This is really nit-picky, but when they used to play SoD back in 2001-02, there was this really cool bit right at the end of the solo where Robin handed off the last two notes to the other guitarist and they played (I think) chords, lower down the fretboard. On the studio version, and every live version since 2006, they sub in a bog standard pair of notes at the end of the solo and it always sounds... less imaginative, to me.

Compare and contrast:

Board footer