You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Wrestling thread

James wrote:

This is awesome....

Kruschev and Nikita on a Japanese tour in 85.

This stuff should've been shown on the American shows at the time. Not all the time obviously...but when major wrestlers went overseas. The best example is when the Road Warriors would head over there. Devote one or two episodes a year to what's going on in the NWA around the world.

It really helps sell it as a worldwide promotion.

WWF made the same mistake... especially when Hogan went on that infamous Japan tour in 85 going up against a bunch of iconic Japanese wrestlers. We only got to read about it in magazines. In Hogan's case it would've upped his level of respect here because as we found out years later, he wrestled more elaborate matches overseas. Didn't he even use the superplex over there?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Reading up on some of the rumor mill.

Apparently Vince was getting investigated by the Feds for his hush money payments and that's why he resigned on Friday.

Triple H got promoted/named to head of creative and supposedly Paul Heyman could have a big role as well.  I've always liked how Heyman booked, especially if free from Vince's meddling.  I don't really know whether or not he wants the workload though.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Seriously, what is Vince going to do? I don’t see him sitting at home.

misterID

misterID wrote:

“Shares of WWE rose more than 8% to reach a new 52-week high Monday, as investors became more bullish about a potential sale of the wrestling and media company. The stock is up 45% so far this year, outpacing the S&P 500, which is off more than 16% in 2022.”

This is what I think happens

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Seriously, what is Vince going to do? I don’t see him sitting at home.

I hate to sound really bleak here but he'll probably die off.  His life (by all accounts) revolved around the WWF/E.  Oh he's probably going to get nuked again.  Supposedly, the HBO Real Sports has a piece airing in the future that's  damning. 

misterID wrote:

“Shares of WWE rose more than 8% to reach a new 52-week high Monday, as investors became more bullish about a potential sale of the wrestling and media company. The stock is up 45% so far this year, outpacing the S&P 500, which is off more than 16% in 2022.”

This is what I think happens

Probably, but it's a tad complicated since Vince has most of the stock shares.  But I have no idea how it works if they find he misled the SEC in those finacial filings.

I'll be a little sad when they get sold.  They were basically a family run business for decades and he turned them into a  billion dollar corporation.  Sort of an American dream success story.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I can't imagine some corporation like Disney owning them. Professional wrestling is probably on borrowed time in that scenario...its future being as a massive archive of 20th-early 21st century wrestling. It would probably die off within a generation.

Isn't it already half way there at this point?

I should probably subscribe to their channel on Peacock. On the other hand, I hate how classic shows have been edited and include new generic music and even new commentators.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Disney owns FOX and they already paid a shitload of money for their catalog. It’s the next logical step.

Vince could always buy Impact. There were rumors HHH and Steph were seriously considering starting their own promotion at one time after being pushed out. And it’s pretty clear putting them back was a Vince stipulation for resigning. Whether it’s a sale or some damning expose, they aren’t there for the long haul.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Rumor is NBC/Universal making a play for WWE in 2023

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:

Thoughts on Logan Paul? Honestly the dude is impressive. He is oozing with charisma and athleticism and seems to get it. He knows how to play/work the crowd. I'm in no way saying he is on HBK's level but he has that look and attitude where if you want him to be a face he can be but always one smirk or gesture or word away from being the ultimate heel. I think he is overflowing with legitimate potential.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Watching some old WWF Primetime on YouTube and it’s fantastic. Monsoon and Heenan were so great together. Usually when you watch something you did as a kid it’s never as good as you remember, but I seriously can’t stop laughing. Some of the shows have commercials I haven’t seen since 1987 and my mind is blown

Board footer