You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: Why no photo shoots after 1991?

ClaudeF wrote:

Tool has basically done the same thing. Led Zeppelin participated in fewer photo shoots as time went by, the last (I think) being the “outstanding in their field” one which they quite possibly only agreed to because it appealed to their sense of humor.

I think about the lyrics of “Limelight” and while as a fan I would enjoy some GNR photoshoots — they capture a moment in time — I also understand why it seems like a hassle.

The skull/pistols/roses iconography seems to be enough for Axl. Although God knows it has been done to death.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Tool has basically done the same thing. Led Zeppelin participated in fewer photo shoots as time went by, the last (I think) being the “outstanding in their field” one which they quite possibly only agreed to because it appealed to their sense of humor.

I think about the lyrics of “Limelight” and while as a fan I would enjoy some GNR photoshoots — they capture a moment in time — I also understand why it seems like a hassle.

The skull/pistols/roses iconography seems to be enough for Axl. Although God knows it has been done to death.

The only issue I have with the skull/pistols/roses stuff is that its only representative of 87-88. Yeah there was a bit of new stuff for Illusions but it always takes you back to the 80s.

It's also lazy. Just throw up something to remind everyone of the classic era and you're good to go!  No artistic creativity needed whatsoever.

This is the peak of that era IMO....

Guns-N-Roses-Skull-Logo_large.jpg?v=1548756368

The logo used to kickstart the Illusions era.

They wouldn't use this during the CD years... probably because it's clearly Slash. IMO they should've went with it anyways because the rest of it is reminiscent of Slash as well.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

The only issue I have with the skull/pistols/roses stuff is that its only representative of 87-88. Yeah there was a bit of new stuff for Illusions but it always takes you back to the 80s.

It's also lazy. Just throw up something to remind everyone of the classic era and you're good to go!  No artistic creativity needed whatsoever.

This is the peak of that era IMO....

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0067/ … 1548756368

The logo used to kickstart the Illusions era.

They wouldn't use this during the CD years... probably because it's clearly Slash. IMO they should've went with it anyways because the rest of it is reminiscent of Slash as well.

I love the AFD era as much as anyone else, but the UYI stuff to me is less dated. The skulls etc just make them look like an older hair band…Which Axl wanted them not to be.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Have u actually listened to the illusions recently? They haven't aged well imo

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Have u actually listened to the illusions recently? They haven't aged well imo

I agree with this. I still love them but they definitely have a dated sound to them whereas AFD in my opinion is as fresh today as it was then. It's just straight up classic hard rock that stands the test of time.  Timeless really.  The same way AC/DC's back in Black album is. The Illusions are great for what they are but they definitely  have a more specific feel to them in terms of the era they are from.

Sky Dog wrote:

axl92 Oh please….1991 can easily be considered the last great year in rock and roll history! There will never be another year like that….never. Think about it!

Sky Dog wrote:

Did you really want GNR to be the Sex Pistols? If that were the case, then you don’t get Coma, Locomotive, Civil War, Estranged, November Rain, Breakdown, etc….those epics and that “dated” sound made them the Led Zeppelin of our generation and not one and done SexPistols.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Illusion albums have dated production issues in spots and track selections, but the songs are so much more sophisticated than AFD

TSI? is my favorite GNR produced album.

Sky Dog wrote:

The problem is what is “dated”? Is I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry dated? The song carries the day for me and if we are going to talk about tracklisting, how does Think About You and Anything Goes fit on an album with 10 other perfect hard rock tracks. AFD only needed one power ballad and definitely didn’t need a Hollywood Rose cover.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I dunno maybe it's just me...even songs I used to love just seem long, drawn out and unnecessary

Civil War, Estranged, Breakdown, Coma, 14 Years

We just live in a world where anything over 4:00 loses people's attention span ... sometimes even that is too much

Additionally we live in a world where sometimes 2 or even 3 piece bands are making good songs...multilayered Tracks with backing vocals and synthetic orchestra, hamonica, keys, etc etc. seems over the top and a thing of the past ...

Some songs are still great on those albums to be sure, but alot of it has lost its Lustre for me personally

If u still enjoy then good on ya, I mean I'm over tool now as well so there is that (ducks and hides)

Board footer