You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Why is GNR so ashamed of (most) of their past?

James wrote:

Jams with Adam Maples, Martin Chambers etc early 1990

I've always wanted to see this.... IF it exists. I don't remember if it was recorded.  I know they recorded at least one of the Sorum rehearsals because it was mentioned in an issue of either RIP or Circus.

The “Perfect Crime” footage 1991-1993

Pro shots of every concept 1991-1993

We're never getting The Perfect Crime. It would be a massive project...and it's crystal clear that there's no one involved who is interested in tackling such a project.

It would be a bigger undertaking than the Beatles Get Back project...and it took an A list directors interest in that to make it happen.

As far as all the shows recorded, the most we will ever get is a couple cherry picked shows...more than likely shows already heard(Tokyo, Chicago,etc.).

This isn't Metallica or Pink Floyd where everyone involved is interested in going through the vault. The GNR camp literally goes years on end without doing anything substantial in this regard.

Can you imagine the GNR camp spending a couple years working on that?!?

Neither can I....

This stuff needed to have been dug through, separate the gnat shit from the pepper, bring in a team to work on the 30 year old footage, clear the various rights with ex members, etc years ago...just to get us anywhere close to this becoming a reality.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
James wrote:

Jams with Adam Maples, Martin Chambers etc early 1990

I've always wanted to see this.... IF it exists. I don't remember if it was recorded.  I know they recorded at least one of the Sorum rehearsals because it was mentioned in an issue of either RIP or Circus.

The “Perfect Crime” footage 1991-1993

Pro shots of every concept 1991-1993

We're never getting The Perfect Crime. It would be a massive project...and it's crystal clear that there's no one involved who is interested in tackling such a project.

It would be a bigger undertaking than the Beatles Get Back project...and it took an A list directors interest in that to make it happen.

As far as all the shows recorded, the most we will ever get is a couple cherry picked shows...more than likely shows already heard(Tokyo, Chicago,etc.).

This isn't Metallica or Pink Floyd where everyone involved is interested in going through the vault. The GNR camp literally goes years on end without doing anything substantial in this regard.

Can you imagine the GNR camp spending a couple years working on that?!?

Neither can I....

This stuff needed to have been dug through, separate the gnat shit from the pepper, bring in a team to work on the 30 year old footage, clear the various rights with ex members, etc years ago...just to get us anywhere close to this becoming a reality.

Honestly, if I could, I’d do that for free. Seriously. I’d happily work as the band’s archivist for fuckin free if it meant you, me and others could hear or see cool stuff

James

James wrote:

We need someone like David Fincher or of similar clout to be a GNR fan and they want this just as much as fans. It's the only way it will ever happen.

Are you a Beatles fan?

In 1970 there was a documentary called Let It Be. It left out tons of footage and was a gloomy view of what went down in those final sessions.

Peter Jackson...a Beatles fanatic...wanted to dig through the mountain of footage and create something special out of it.

Not only did he dig through the vault, he remastered all that footage to create an 8 hour documentary.

Even if you don't give a shit, watch that trailer. It's amazing what he did with that stuff...which had essentially been rotting for 50 years.

That's what this situation with GNR and its vault needs.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

The documentary also set the stage for McCartney’s most recent tour, with him and his band playing live while Lennon appeared on screen and was heard through an isolated vocal track. Everything I have read suggests the emotional impact was phenomenal.

What had been seen as a bleak period of decline is now recognized as an actually vibrant chapter in The Beatles’ history.

If only GNR were as willing to do the same.

James

James wrote:

Yep...a talented team could take all that footage and various other items(MTV segments, CNN, etc) and let the world experience the insanity that was GNR in 1990-91.

Younger generations don't realize how huge they really were.

I don't want random shit thrown together and then labeling it The Perfect Crime.

There is a genuine story there begging to be told. It's not just concerts by the world's greatest band at the time.  It's the original lineup imploding in the lead up to recording the album, two new members brought in, the media placing a microscope on the band, crazy incidents such as Izzy pissing on the plane and Axls psychotic neighbor, and of course the summer of 91 and the riot.

The end could be the midnight release of UYI with lines at record stores in major cities...we know Slash went to one in Los Angeles.

Board footer