You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: House of The Dragon

I watched a bit of an episode of this show. I was like yeah no thanks.

The last episode of GOT kind of ruined the series for me.

It's also like the new LOTR. I've seen the movies, and besides the fact they didn't have Tom Bombadil in it, how can a show set years before the events draw me in?

Maybe its GOT fatigue, but, it's too much of a cash grab and cashing in on GOT (the LOTR series).

If people get enjoyment out of both that's cool. Just not my cup.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

So far I am loving the show. Hope this helps.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've been enjoying it too.

The pacing is interesting, it's kinda faster moving than the first few GOT seasons but less fast than the final few were. In a way just about right in that it's not lingering on anything too long now we know the way their world works but also not rushing in a way that doesn't allow for proper motivations to be told (which i thought was the problem with the last GOT season).

So far I like it, the politics stuff is well done as you'd expect from GOT.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:

I love House thus far. Can’t tell who I like best, I feel all the characters are interesting and less cut and cry than GOT. So far there is no equivalent to Ned Stark who is morally clean and not divisive. Arguably the only person who is easily agreed on is that Otto Hightower is a slimeball (but then I am sure some would disagree with that).

Viserys is a good man, but a weak King and has made decisions that have angered everyone in the naive hope of pleasing everyone

Rhaenyra is her own worst enemy, same goes for Daemon. Both of them are the biggest threats to their own interests. Daemon perhaps is playing a long game - maybe. But Rhae is too impulsive for her own good. She makes Viserys defending her as heiress very hard (when defending her as heiress is already an uphill battle since half the realm is against the idea of a Queen in general)

Corlys is overly proud and disloyal to his King, overly ambitious etc. Called the Sea SNAKE for a good reason

There is not one character who is clearly likeable. Criston Cole is insane, Otto is a shit, etc.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Did Gertrude Stein write this show? Every scene be like "I don't want to get married!", "Childbirth is the worst thing in the world!", "I wanna be a boy and fight!".

Not a single character is likeable.

Daemon - He's a bad guy you see, that's why we call him demon in case you forget it. He's also impotent and a fool.
Viserys - A weak fool
Rhaenrya - A total bitch. I will fuck my uncle because that's what all the men do! 
Valeryon - You must marry my 10 year old daughter or I will make an alliance with the enemy!
Crispin Cole - A boy toy
Alice - I'm married to the King and I have a beautiful son, my life sucks!
Otto - Your Grace!

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

My problem with it is it doesn't adhere to its own canon and rules.  Cole isn't higher in order of things than a highborn lord, least  of all the future  consort to the queen.  Cole decks Laenor and nothing comes of it.  He murders a knight at a feast, and again, no penalty.  But Strong decks him and Strong is exiled from the capitol.  That's not how any of this works.

Viserys is cartoonishly stupid.  Yes women dying from child birth without modern medicine is a a risk, but not more so than constant infections and amputations in a world without sterilization and antibiotics.  Drogo gets a cut on his pectoral and is dead from infection in days, yet Viserys is losing fingers and limbs and is covered in boils for 2 decades and is peachy keen.  But this is the same show where Arya is stabbed repeatedly and deeply in the abdomen, falls into a river of human excrement, and is able to run a decathlon without so much as getting a fever.  The later seasons of GoT were panned for their cartoonish stories and behavior, and HoTD is no different in this regard.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The time hop was a mess and the new princess sucks compared to the young one. Daemon and Cole didn’t age at all lol.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The time hop was a mess and the new princess sucks compared to the young one. Daemon and Cole didn’t age at all lol.

Things will slow down once we get to the dance. These episodes are really just setting the show up. The meat of the story they are gonna tell is the civil war. Blacks vs Greens.

Fire and blood reads more like a history book than a novel. Which is what house is based on. I'm enjoying the show at the moment. I dont see as many problems as posted by others.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fire and blood reads more like a history book than a novel. Which is what house is based on. I'm enjoying the show at the moment. I dont see as many problems as posted by others.

Indeed. Which is why I’m puzzled by the versions of events and changes they’ve chosen. How is Cole murdering Joffrey in cold blood in the middle of the throne room an improvement over killing him during the tournament after the wedding as it happens in the book? If you want morally grey characters, showing Daemon murder his wife and having Cole murder Joffrey doesn’t help.

The Strong boys were heavily hinted at in the book, but Rhaenys herself had brown hair instead of white. So there was plausible deniability. Daemon’s children being fathered by a Valaryion and looking like the offspring of a light skin and dark skinned person makes Viserys an absolute cartoon not to recognize their illegitimacy and disown Rhaenyra. Their entire agreement and why he continued her as his heir was because she agreed to be dutiful. There is zero question that Rhaenyra’s children are not Laenor’s. None. That’s incredibly problematic when you’re trying to get allegiance from a society whose laws afford bastards no inheritance right, and often executed a woman for infidelity.

Mushroom’s account of events was the most sensational and least credible, but he seems to be winning over the show runners.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Indeed. Which is why I’m puzzled by the versions of events and changes they’ve chosen. How is Cole murdering Joffrey in cold blood in the middle of the throne room an improvement over killing him during the tournament after the wedding as it happens in the book? If you want morally grey characters, showing Daemon murder his wife and having Cole murder Joffrey doesn’t help.

The Strong boys were heavily hinted at in the book, but Rhaenys herself had brown hair instead of white. So there was plausible deniability. Daemon’s children being fathered by a Valaryion and looking like the offspring of a light skin and dark skinned person makes Viserys an absolute cartoon not to recognize their illegitimacy and disown Rhaenyra. Their entire agreement and why he continued her as his heir was because she agreed to be dutiful. There is zero question that Rhaenyra’s children are not Laenor’s. None. That’s incredibly problematic when you’re trying to get allegiance from a society whose laws afford bastards no inheritance right, and often executed a woman for infidelity.

Mushroom’s account of events was the most sensational and least credible, but he seems to be winning over the show runners.

I take it as Geroge giving mushroom accounts more weight. He is and was involved in the show. Like he was early GOT. I agree with the changes.. especially lack of tournament. But then again I see it as a different medium so different story. What makes sense for them for filming and budget and overall story pacing might not line up with the books 100 percent

Really want to see the hour of the wolf on the show and see what the show depicts as happened in winter fell when Jacaerys flies there.

Board footer