You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: SOG single coming?

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Between here and Mygnr, I've seen people say the clips remind them of: Atlas Shrugged, Oklahoma, The General, Soul Monster, Circus Maximus, & D Tune. I may have missed some. I think we're collectively losing it.

The vibe of the GNR community is reminding me of 2005 but on a smaller scale...

The fan base is simply starved for anything ....and the hardcores are at the point where concerts or live releases don't cut the mustard.

Much smaller scale, the anticipation for CD still had some life in it, the current anticipation... so many have lost interest. I got into the band in 04 and on to the forums in mid-late 05. Mood then was gloomy AF. The leaks in early 06 and Axl resurfacing at things like that Korn party really gave the community a boost.

This time, the band is active but the online community is just bored at this stage. Some fans excuse the band and cite artists who also haven't released music in forever and just tour but the difference is those bands haven't dangled the carrot of new music for years. This band began dangling that carrot again right after CD was released via Axl's forum chats. It's now 14 years later.

On the 23rd November 1993 they released TSI and then 15 years later to the exact day, they released CD. In that gap, they also got two singles out in Sympathy for the Devil and Oh my God.

We're now approaching 14 years since CD. In that time they've managed two singles of new material, not counting the singles from the AFD box. And in that 14 years they've been more silent than ever and the leaks of new songs with vocals that quench some of that fan thirst haven't been anywhere near the scale of what happened from 06-08.

No wonder the vibe is how it is.

Yeah...if he/they had simply announced years ago that they're done creatively and it's just touring...a la Billy Joel....I wouldn't even complain. Like with Floyd and Mac, I'd just be interested in whatever archive releases we get.

They take the exact opposite approach.

It's really frustrating being a fan of a band that does this shit.

Bands like U2, Metallica,,etc go years between albums but fans actually get various releases on a regular basis. It's why their fan bases aren't jaded to the extent of GNR's.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Yeah, you really don't get ANYTHING with this band.  Even touring bands, release unheard material (demos, archival shit etc), ditto with the bands who have major members who have died.  These guys can't even handle anniversary editions of their landmark albums correctly. 

Not to mention their stance on the fanbase.  Those other bands give you something in terms of being a hardcore/longtime fan.  They reward you for your loyalty and appreciate it by tossing you some extra whatevers.

2006 was definitely more interesting/positive only because you had the prospect of a new music release.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Bands like U2, Metallica,,etc go years between albums but fans actually get various releases on a regular basis. It's why their fan bases aren't jaded to the extent of GNR's.

It's not even just getting various releases and extras on a regular basis. They also don't bullshit their fans all the time.

They don't talk about songs, new albums, "the second half" or "second part of their trilogy" for a decade plus. They get asked questions like "Hey what about a new record?" and either say "Yeah, working on that" or "Not right now, not at the moment, haven't started thinking about that yet". And when they do say they're working on it, that usually means it's anywhere from weeks to max 3 years away, and they deliver it.

GN'R is the only band I know that blue balls their fanbase like this. If any of those bands you mentioned had said what Slash said earlier this year about new songs this June/July and it didn't happen, then one member would have popped up in an interview by now, been asked about it, and given an update. Not GN'R though. Just a silent PR machine that says nothing now.

I'll say this for the CD years, it was at least exciting to read things about what was happening and get occasional updates from members even if it didn't pan out. The near total silence approach that now happens is worse. It's almost like 03-04 era but at least then there was still reports about what was happening and occasional interviews with folk who had worked on the record.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

It's not even just getting various releases and extras on a regular basis. They also don't bullshit their fans all the time.

They don't talk about songs, new albums, "the second half" or "second part of their trilogy" for a decade plus. They get asked questions like "Hey what about a new record?" and either say "Yeah, working on that" or "Not right now, not at the moment, haven't started thinking about that yet". And when they do say they're working on it, that usually means it's anywhere from weeks to max 3 years away, and they deliver it.

GN'R is the only band I know that blue balls their fanbase like this. If any of those bands you mentioned had said what Slash said earlier this year about new songs this June/July and it didn't happen, then one member would have popped up in an interview by now, been asked about it, and given an update. Not GN'R though. Just a silent PR machine that says nothing now.

I'll say this for the CD years, it was at least exciting to read things about what was happening and get occasional updates from members even if it didn't pan out. The near total silence approach that now happens is worse. It's almost like 03-04 era but at least then there was still reports about what was happening and occasional interviews with folk who had worked on the record.

The only reason why those 99-08 years were interesting is  because stuff slowly leaked out every couple of years.  In 1999 Oh My God was released officially released the only official new song until 08, but in 2001 we had the live songs from HOB and Rio, then in 2002 those same songs but got good soundboard versions of them.  then from 2003-2006 is when most of those songs leaked out like IRS, TWAT, then CITR, and the rest. We got something new every couple of years.

Then after CD dropped which was pretty much all the songs that leaked and like two more, there was nothing until a couple of years ago with the locker  songs. And most of those were just Alt takes of CD songs with a few new songs with vocals then a bunch of instrumentals.

The most fun time was that week or two where those cds slowly leaked out.  But the funniest thing about this joke of a band is the fans have released more songs than GNR has.

And dont think for a second if Hard School never leaked out that we would have gotten that single. Even the current version of Abusrd leaked out with the Ron version which is pretty much the same as the current version just with Slash and Duff.

So in typical faction, their two "new" singles were just songs that leaked out. 

And if will be even more of a joke if the next singles are Atlas and perhaps.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

The next two singles are You Could Be Mine and November Rain roll

Rhiad
 Rep: 2 

Rhiad wrote:

The mysterious song has been soundchecked again

https://streamable.com/9u5mpk

James

James wrote:
Rhiad wrote:

im-coming-fred-sanford.gif

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Rhiad wrote:

Ok, am I playing myself by thinking that sounds like it could be a highly highly reworked State of Grace?

James

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Rhiad wrote:

Ok, am I playing myself by thinking that sounds like it could be a highly highly reworked State of Grace?

Too difficult to figure out what it is... especially such a short clip.

Whatever it is....it's a good sign.

Rhiad
 Rep: 2 

Rhiad wrote:

I’m still convinced this is a reworking of Oklahoma. The tempo and chords are very similar to the outro on the Village version.

Board footer