You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Blonde

This movie is a steaming pile of horseshit.  I thought this was going to be an award's contender, but it's just a completely fictional account of Monroe's life with over the top sex scenes tossed in that don't advance the movie or plot at all.  First NC-17 movie I've watched since Showgirls and without question, Showgirls is the better film.  That's saying a lot.  Ana De Armas did a fantastic job in her role, but the story was just utter crap.

While also fictional...you should check out Norma Jean and Marilyn....the Mira Sorvino/Ashley Judd film about Marilyn.

James

James wrote:

Walking and Talking - This was the first Anne Heche movie I ever watched. It's more of an independent/cult film than the typical mainstream Rom Com of the period... although it does have the cliche happy ending. While I like it, surprised to see its 88% rating.

Hannibal -  first time watching this in 20 years. This is a complete clusterfuck. It never should've been made...or in the least it needed a massive rewrite. Funny how it did get a bunch of rewrites yet this is what came out of it  Yikes.

Not surprising that Foster turned it down. The book coming out with Starling and Hannibal becoming lovers guaranteed Foster would never go near this story again.

Moore tries giving it her all but her Clarice is too abrasive and bitchy. It takes me out of the story and just reminds you of Fosters killer performance in Lambs. Another issue is Hopkins is clearly having too much fun as Lecter.

Best thing about this film is Gary Oldman as Mason Verger...a handicapped and disfigured child rapist who has a grudge against Lecter.

They probably should've had this film revolve around both Verger and Lecter and not even included Clarice. Save the Clarice story for a few years later and maybe by then they could've come up with a better story that Foster would've found acceptable.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Hannibal -  first time watching this in 20 years. This is a complete clusterfuck. It never should've been made...or in the least it needed a massive rewrite. Funny how it did get a bunch of rewrites yet this is what came out of it  Yikes.

Not surprising that Foster turned it down. The book coming out with Starling and Hannibal becoming lovers guaranteed Foster would never go near this story again.

Moore tries giving it her all but her Clarice is too abrasive and bitchy. It takes me out of the story and just reminds you of Fosters killer performance in Lambs. Another issue is Hopkins is clearly having too much fun as Lecter.

Best thing about this film is Gary Oldman as Mason Verger...a handicapped and disfigured child rapist who has a grudge against Lecter.

They probably should've had this film revolve around both Verger and Lecter and not even included Clarice. Save the Clarice story for a few years later and maybe by then they could've come up with a better story that Foster would've found acceptable.

This is just a mainstream summer film masquerading as a Hannibal film.  Aside from Silence of the Lambs, and Manhunter most of the films in the series range from dreadful to average.

It's october so it's scary movie season so...

Alone in the Dark...whoa, how come I've never heard of this one.  1980s horror flick involving Jack Palance, Martin Landau, and Donald Pleasance.  It deals with mental patients/illnesses and morphs into a home invasion flick.  Not bad at all.

Stir Of Echoes.  Kevin Bacon late 90s film.  The horror/scary stuff is done pretty well.  It turns into a procedural in the second half and loses steam because it becomes predictable.  Still Bacon, and Kathyrn Erbe from Law and Order CI give good performances.  I really wish they 'd focus more on the psychic/supernatural aspects as those parts were the most interesting.

10 to Midnight.  I want to love this but I can't.  It's an 80s Charles Bronson revenge/slasher flick.  It's pretty well made.  But parts of it just come off fucking cheesy, like a tv movie.  It just totally takes me out of it.  I don't care for the actor playing the main villian either.  It's not awful or anything.  Just not as great as some people seem to think it is.

James

James wrote:

Yeah Stir of Echoes is pretty good and you're right...they do a 180 in the middle.

I should watch it again.

10 to Midnight sounds as ridiculous as Death Wish 3.

If you're interested in another overlooked early 80s horror film, Happy Birthday To Me is on Tubi right now. It starts out slow as molasses but is pretty good. I always wanted a remake of this instead of the usual horror remakes.

Nothing Compares - This is incredible...a documentary of the decade contender. It better win awards.

It's about the downfall of Sinead O'Connor. Her entire life up until 1992 when everything went wrong. Other than the last couple minutes, it's all archive footage.

This was 20 years overdue. It looks like the world may be ready to forgive her and possibly rehabilitate her image. If so...let's speed the process up a bit.

While fans had no idea, her and/or her label are sitting on a killer vault/archive. Not only footage from her youth before she was famous, but there's also studio footage of her recording I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got and Am I Not Your Girl. They also saved footage from the Nothing Compares To You video shoot. Great quality live footage too.

We need this stuff. It's time for some box sets.

I thought it was pretty sad. She was obviously troubled from day one. She needed a break. Too many scandals piled on top of another in such a short timeframe. I had forgotten about her opposition to the Gulf War. That didn't help at all.

Seeing the downfall happen in real time on video like this is bizarre. Until this documentary, you just had the memory fragments of it.

You also get reminded of how huge she really was at the time. Like GNR, she was already becoming an arena act with only two albums and about to move on to stadiums before her career was destroyed.

My only complaints are the use of reenactments in some scenes. Ive always hated this. Crime shows do it a lot but it's really not necessary here.

Fuck the Prince estate for not allowing the use of Nothing Compares To You. It was her biggest hit obviously...they should've been allowed to use it.

She was definitely ahead of her time...I agree there...but I think they're going a bit overboard with the feminist angle and the non-binary fashion(I forgot who mentioned this) and the media talking about how woke she was before that was a thing. Maybe so...but the story doesn't need 21st century buzzwords.  It stands on its own. If this is what it takes to shine a spotlight on Sinead, so be it. It's been a long time coming. It's too bad she's so old and her voice is shot. She always deserved a comeback.

Even if you're not a fan, I highly recommend it. It's a great late 80s and early 90s time capsule.

Michael Clayton - George Clooney is pretty good in this as a "fixer" at a law firm. I was surprised to find out Tilda Swinton won the Oscar for this...and it got a bunch of nominations at various awards shows. She does a great job but that is a really small role.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The Origin (seen at a film festival, on release later in the year) - survival horror about a tribe of early modern humans being hunted by... something. It's very well-researched, with the director tapping survival experts, linguists and archaeologists to realistically portray our ancestors.

The whole film's in a fictional language, loosely based on a Basque dialect that's apparently the oldest living language in the world. There's a neat twist towards the end that kind of reflects the broader Original Sin of how homo sapiens came to dominate the world. Very enjoyable both as a historical document and a simple horror/thriller film.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Spider-Man No Way Home. Really great. Not going to spoil it but the surprise is pretty wonderful. It should have come much earlier and used far more deeper in the plot. This, Logan and Deadpool are the only MARVEL films I like. I’m really surprised how good the Spider-Man series has been.

James

James wrote:

I finished The Golden Girls yesterday. When watching it in huge chunks like I have the past few weeks, you really notice the drop in quality. It's almost unbearable towards the end. That spinoff Golden Palace never deserved the green light.

Also watched some 80s Twilight Zone. Pretty good but you gotta look past some of the FX.

Tonight I'm gonna watch Old. Been putting that off way too long. I had forgot it was on my computer until last night. I was also thinking about watching that new Halloween but I'm gonna save it for Halloween night.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Let me know how Old is. Been curious.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Just went to see Smile tonight...was not too bad actually, a few pretty good jump scares

misterID

misterID wrote:

This is a crazy fucking film. Female Prisoner 701: Scorpion. It’s a “women’s prison sexploitation” film, but it’s beautifully shot. Like an art film. This had to have been a huge influence on Tarantino with Kill Bill, and also J-Horror. You should check it out.

It should be on Tubi or the other free streamers
MV5BZmRmYzBmZDItMWQ4Yy00MTZhLTg1YWQtMmM5ZmQ3MWRlNTRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM3MDE4Njc@._V1_.jpg

Board footer