You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: UYI Box tracklist unveiled?

James wrote:

Someone on Hoffman brought up how there's not a lot of reviews for this set. That made me curious about sales.

Not only did it not hit the top 200 chart, Greatest Hits came in at 97! It was previously at 108. Makes me wonder if the small amount of promo caused people to buy GH instead or if the touring caused the GH to see an increase in sales.

Loved seeing Fleetwood Mac on the list at 32.

You only need a couple thousand sales to hit the bottom of this chart.

The other recent big deluxe edition released is Thriller...and it made the chart. It's also getting some negative reactions from fans regarding the quality and bonus content.

I wish we could find out exactly what the sales were.

400-500....maybe a thousand tops?!?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Meh...I'm not spending $400-500 for UYI and a bunch of live tracks

Maybe if they broke it up as indiv releases and the box set they would gotten more sales / hit charts

I went looking for the RITZ blu-ray but u can only get it in the box set...so oh well

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

By releasing this type of material, you realize that money is the only thing that matters!...Didn't Slash say that with the new technologies and the new generations they didn't know how to release the new material? With generations that don't even have a CD player cd's and they package it in deluxe editions and the cheapest one is $25, just a few downloads away they are clear about it! Money,money,Money fucking Roses!

James

James wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

By releasing this type of material, you realize that money is the only thing that matters!...Didn't Slash say that with the new technologies and the new generations they didn't know how to release the new material? With generations that don't even have a CD player cd's and they package it in deluxe editions and the cheapest one is $25, just a few downloads away they are clear about it! Money,money,Money fucking Roses!

While I agree in spirit...if the mission was to make a bunch of money on UYI, it was a failure.

Even though it's half the price, it's a bigger fiasco than the AFD set.

This band/brand is simply incapable of moving product. They don't know how to compile it, release it, or promote it.

I always blame the shoddy management (for good reason) but it goes deeper than that. It's the organization as a whole. It's been like this for literally decades.

All the GNR machine knows is how to tour.

Meh...I'm not spending $400-500 for UYI and a bunch of live tracks

Maybe if they broke it up as indiv releases and the box set they would gotten more sales / hit charts

I went looking for the RITZ blu-ray but u can only get it in the box set...so oh well

Simple changes could have made this UYI set at least a moderate success....

The price - To learn how to handle these sets and watch them sell out quickly would have only required them to watch how Metallica deals with it. Their own fans have suggested this for years.

Fans have begged for decades for UYI HQ demos. Literally decades. The moment finally arrives to celebrate UYI....no demos. This was an instant turn off to many potential buyers(including me).

The Ritz film deserved to be a stand alone release and a major promo blitz behind it. Instead it was a popcorn fart buried in a box set.

Ditching the remix was a huge mistake. They missed out on a few thousand sales on this alone.

The new November Rain should've been released as a proper single instead of placing it on a remastered Use Your Illusion I.

All signs point to them not really giving a shit...so I disagree it was only about money. They left tons of money on the table by half assing this release.

I no longer believe we're going to get a TSI deluxe set after this. This didn't even sell 1 or 2 k copies its first week... meaning TSI would sell around 50-100.

It's such a clusterfuck and so disappointing as a fan to see everything play out like this.

Edit

They also should've cherry picked a few songs from the Ritz film and released them as videos. Instead fans did it and their vids get deleted.

The Ritz film should be available on all platforms...or an exclusive with Disney or Amazon.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I think you kind of nailed it.  They go half something on these sets.  It's like one part of it "functions" correctly (Ritz bluray, remixed NR etc) and the other part is TOTALLY brain dead (high MSRP, no demos).

It's frustrating and funny at some time at their incompetence even on basic stuff like pricing.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I think you kind of nailed it.  They go half something on these sets.  It's like one part of it "functions" correctly (Ritz bluray, remixed NR etc) and the other part is TOTALLY brain dead (high MSRP, no demos).

It's frustrating and funny at some time at their incompetence even on basic stuff like pricing.

When you're pricing your box sets higher than Metallica and Pink Floyd, they need to hire a firm to research how much GNR fans will pay for boxes with minimal content.

The answer...and I offer it free of charge....is LESS than the Metallica and Pink Floyd sets.

Here's a few examples...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Immersion set

150 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were-He … B004ZNAUVW

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon Immersion set

Varies in price from 60 bucks(used) to 400 bucks

The amount of content is insane. Worth it for Dark Side of the Moon early mix, and of course the album performed live in its entirety, and the sequences that were originally supposed to be on the album.

Then there's the 5.1 mix and assorted demos!

Here's a great example...

Metallica - Black album box set

https://www.metallica.com/store/metalli … DLXBS.html

240 bucks

The UYI set should have been modeled after that. Look at all that content...for half the price.

I had forgot about this one...

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

150 bucks

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1050 … t_Box_Sets

^ That is an example of how the separate UYI deluxe editions should've been. Fans get both (a bit of live and alt takes)...plenty of bang for your buck.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I do wonder if the AFD and UYI boxes were about throwing former members a bone. I mean, the money Axl/Slash/Duff get from it is probably negligible compared to touring. But for guys like Matt, Izzy, Adler, and whoever else it may be meaningful.

Hell, to that end maybe Axl is reworking CD material like HS and Absurd to throw a bone to Tommy, Robin, Freese et al. They leave them on the credits.

James

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I do wonder if the AFD and UYI boxes were about throwing former members a bone. I mean, the money Axl/Slash/Duff get from it is probably negligible compared to touring. But for guys like Matt, Izzy, Adler, and whoever else it may be meaningful.

Hell, to that end maybe Axl is reworking CD material like HS and Absurd to throw a bone to Tommy, Robin, Freese et al. They leave them on the credits.

I wondered this when seeing the tracklists and Sorum's drum solo is all over it. I doubt he gets much for that...but it's something.

Like you said...in the least it's acknowledgment.

I went and checked the torrents for shits and giggles.

For the first time ever ....a new GNR release has popped up on a Top 100 list. It's only on the FLAC list and not the general music list...but it's something.

Both UYI sets are on it.

They look to be averaging 40 seeders and single digit leechers.

Funny...this release has caused a 10 year old UYI I torrent to pop up into the top 100...only 3 seeders with 28 leechers. This means that some fans(likely casuals) wanted the new set but have accidentally downloaded the old version instead. Wacky.

All the other big legacy act releases this year (Floyd, Queen, MJ, etc) are on the list as well. Main difference of course is the fact all of them made it on to the main top 100.

Just checked music videos/concerts....

The Ritz snuck into the list with 12 seeders...4 leechers.

Yikes...that means as we speak, only FOUR people on the entire planet are currently downloading the Ritz for free on the most popular torrent site.

That in a nutshell tells you how they completely blew the promotion of this thing.

Pink Floyd Live in Moscow 1989 has more action...and no one cares about that at all.

Edit

Tokyo 92 has snuck into the music video top 100 with 4 seeders. Just like the above example, its casual fans accidentally downloading it (it's labeled UYI tour 92).

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

I don't see why there would ever be a TSI remaster. UYI was their chance to include it, just like LIES was included in AFD box set. There was a lot of things I would have love to see in this one. The "New Slash GTR's" demos, Ain't Going Down, Don't Damn Me and 14 years extended version. Probably some we've never heard before like the previously unreleased acoustic MTTC. Best we can do is share the ones we do have.

Side note: Can anyone point me in the right direction to the Remastered 2 disc set of UYI 1? I'm looking for the live disc specifically.

James

James wrote:
Link31 wrote:

I don't see why there would ever be a TSI remaster. UYI was their chance to include it, just like LIES was included in AFD box set. There was a lot of things I would have love to see in this one. The "New Slash GTR's" demos, Ain't Going Down, Don't Damn Me and 14 years extended version. Probably some we've never heard before like the previously unreleased acoustic MTTC. Best we can do is share the ones we do have.

Side note: Can anyone point me in the right direction to the Remastered 2 disc set of UYI 1? I'm looking for the live disc specifically.

TSI could easily have its own anniversary/deluxe/box.

Disc 1

TSI

Disc 2

The TSI songs recorded during UYI with Izzy

Also the two unreleased/unfinished songs Down on the Street and Beer N A Cigarette

Disc 3-4

93 concert

Considering everything they left off of this UYI set, you could potentially include some of that here.

Are you asking for a link to buy UYI I or torrents?

If you're just wanting to give it a listen, it's on YouTube, Spotify, and the other streaming services.

Board footer