You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What song do you hope are going to be the four song slash talked about

Sky Dog wrote:

I love the lyrics and think it is a good track. I should have clarified that it’s just a waste of time to re-release a song from 1999  which  did nothing even then. It’s fucking stupid. There is a way to please old fans and new.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm hoping for Oklahoma or Soul Monster.

It'll probably be Atlas or Perhaps.

Sky Dog wrote:

I love the lyrics and think it is a good track. I should have clarified that it’s just a waste of time to re-release a song from 1999  which  did nothing even then. It’s fucking stupid. There is a way to please old fans and new.

Absolutely.

If this was the mid-late 2000s...it might make more sense for the song to get an updated remake.

It's 2023 and 6+ years into the reunion.

The fact that it's in contention is very telling on how little they've done creatively.

Having said that...I wouldn't mind hearing it. It doesn't really matter at this point anyways. It won't move the needle in either direction.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I can't even remember any now since I lost the leaks. So I'll take whatever comes!

Seriously, what on earth do you think is going on in their or the record companies minds right now? Perhaps they have given up on the single idea and revert to a future album release?

Sky Dog wrote:

Neither party cares about new music….both realize they are a profitable legacy act.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

You have to figure Atlas is a guarantee. It’s their most complete track as it is and a change in pace from Absurd and Hardskool.

Lelez95
 Rep: 0 

Lelez95 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Neither party cares about new music….both realize they are a profitable legacy act.

That is true, but I reckon with the right marketing strategy a new album could be very remunerative.
I really don't expect anything new, slash says he wants to make a whole new record but I don't see it ever happening, but they could effortlessly rework the village session into an album and make everybody happy.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Lelez95 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

That is true, but I reckon with the right marketing strategy a new album could be very remunerative.
I really don't expect anything new, slash says he wants to make a whole new record but I don't see it ever happening, but they could effortlessly rework the village session into an album and make everybody happy.

The problem is they've shot their bolt as far as publicity is concerned by drip-feeding tracks with no sign of an album on the horizon. They should've just worked up all the available tracks, recorded a few more written with Slash and Duff, who are riff machines, and blasted an album out, with Hard Skool as the first single, followed by Atlas and Perhaps. Their strategy is baffling to me.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Yep.

When the reunion first happened, I thought the record label would be salivating over releasing a new compilation and eventually a new album.

Once we got to 2018 I realized that they didn't care either. They were perfectly fine with just getting sales from the back catalogue and pushing the old GH.

I remember laughing when GNR were pushing GH on their social media accounts a couple years ago. In the 2000s, we were told by both sides of the GNR camp to boycott the GH....now we're being told to buy it!

It was a sign that neither side cared one iota about pushing anything new.

The fact that both AFD and UYI anniversary sets were a year late is further proof of this.

Releases are a mere afterthought to both band/brand and label.

If these supposed songs are not already in the system just waiting for launch.... we're never getting them.

A brand new album from scratch?!? Even Slash himself doesn't believe that. It's just blowing smoke. Nothing from the past 6 years and counting is an indicator of such grandiose plans.

Bri hit the nail on the head a couple years ago.... whatever GNR did during the pandemic will tell us what will happen during the final chapters of their career. All they did was add some music to a handful of 20 year old tracks.

We'll be lucky to even get all of the songs they worked on.

Rare mentions by Slash about a new album or Duffs wife raving on new material means next to nothing at this point.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

It explains why they do so little media...they don't want to be called out. Such a shame

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Ac/Dc was good at putting out a new album, doing a hits tour featuring 3 of the songs from it, and getting a bit of attention for it.

I could see that model working for GNR.

Then again they could kinda just keep doing what they do now, and drop a new song every couple of years into the set, and alternate a cover or a deep track on the non-new years. In a way it would work out better as that way they could spin 6-10 songs out for easily as many years.

Board footer