You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: 2023 Tour Dates

polluxlm wrote:

Imagine if every song on a GN'R album was written by somebody not in the band?

I mean... that is the case for multiple GN'R songs.

Your prejudice against pop acts is showing. I don't even particularly like pop, but I recognise that pop songwriters are every bit as skilled as rock ones, they just work in a different genre.

And the cult of the songwriter-as-artist being venerated over the performer who sings a song written by someone else doesn't have any noble origin – it is a direct result of McCartney and Lennon working out that they got twice as much money on a song for which they had a songwriting credit.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I am not prejudiced against pop. Phil Collins is one of my favorite artists. The problem is Lady Gaga isn't really writing any of it. She's just the face for the brand. Got To Be Real for example is a great song, but I'm not giving Cheryl Lynn any credit for writing it. I can give her credit for the voice, but then again anyone with a good voice could come in and sing that song. It's not Axl Rose level voice magic. 

Serious artists, whether they be rock or something else, should not be associating themselves with these low grade acts. It would be like Gordon Ramsay teaming up with McDonalds. He shouldn't even be teaming up with Five Guys.

You're right it doesn't have a noble origin, but then again what was pop/rock music before they started doing that? Art is perhaps one of the things where a personal connection to the work is more important than anything else. Or at least to put your own spin on it, like GN'R and KOHD. Lady Gaga doesn't even have her "own spin". There is nothing to separate her from the producers who make her music, because she's just a face and an average voice to make money for the record company. Coming from a rich, well connected family probably helped too.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I think for those of us who supported Axl throughout nu-guns probably have a better appreciation for his Carrie collaborations. If he has the ability to play with true A-list celebs after the Rio fat incident and other negative pop-culture experiences he’s had, I think it’s a good thing. And to be fair, I thought it was also awesome seeing Slash play the Super Bowl.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Him being happy and comfortable enough to do this is a good thing I agree. I'm just nitpicking. Maybe they'll surprise us, there are after all songs ready to go as far as we know.

Sky Dog wrote:

There were songs ready to go in 2000!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Carrie is really pushing him to catch up and she almost succeeds in parts lmao...wasn't bad actually

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I just saw that Metallica clip. Fuck me. I mean they were always whores but that was a new low. We should be grateful Axl isn't taking it to that level.

Used to be serious artists didn't want to be caught dead with some corporate performer. Bon Jovi got a reality check when he wanted to do something with Bruce Springsteen and was flatly turned down. Imagine Pantera doing a show with Britney Spears in the late 90s, unthinkable. That's the level Metallica are now playing at.

Carrie Underwood is not exactly the end of the world but she's doing country music and she's not known for much besides being pretty. She sings alright I guess. If it was Garth Brooks okay...

Are ubtalking about Miley and Metallica on Stern ...I wanted to shove sharpened pencils into my eardrums lol

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

My thing is while Absurd and Hardschool were not the new Jungle or Estranged they were pretty damn fun to me in their own way.

I'm middle aged. Axl is 61, Slash is only a couple of years behind him.

We've already lost Axl's prime voice but I think he can still go in the studio where they can select takes and thicken his sound etc. How many more years till Slash finds it hard for his fingers to keep pace with his younger self? Or until someone else gets some fucking illness or something.

I mean I get art is not on a timeline, and why Axl didn't wanna finish records by specific marketing timelines and what not. But at the same time, soon it's going to be too late, at this stage it's more about fun than pressure you'd think, I really hope they just put some new stuff out for the hell of it. Like no one is demanding it be as good as the best song he ever wrote anymore. Like absurd...like is the whole song kinda silly yeah..could it be better in a perfect world ? yeah...but it kinda rocks up loud...and i'm glad to have it compared to not having it. I wish they would just drop some more stuff like that for us to enjoy.

Like who even cares anymore how it looks? We're old men, they are multimillionaires? Pop culture has moved on without them and us. What the fuck is there to lose at this stage.

elevendayempire

Neemo wrote:

Carrie is really pushing him to catch up and she almost succeeds in parts lmao...wasn't bad actually

It's an interesting reminder that Axl can stretch into the traditionally-female vocal range; many of the best performances of GN'R songs have been by singers like Fergie, Nicole Scherzinger, Carrie Underwood etc, because they can actually hit the notes, where performers like Scott Weiland had to stick to the baritone songs like Brownstone and It's So Easy (and fudge the outro to the latter with the megaphone).

elevendayempire

monkeychow wrote:

Like who even cares anymore how it looks? We're old men, they are multimillionaires? Pop culture has moved on without them and us. What the fuck is there to lose at this stage.

I just want them to have some fun in the studio rather than just tinkering with 20-year-old demos. It baffles me that – as far as we can tell – they haven't got together in a studio to jam out some new tracks.

Board footer