You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

Axl S wrote:

So on the talk of the 6 song disc from 08, that's not what I was referring to.

There's the Mike Piazza disc which contained IRS and is supposedly where the 06 leaks of IRS, TWAT, TWAT Long Version and Instrumentals came from. May also be where Better 06 came from but that might have been sourced from Axl playing that disc in a strip club in July 2003.

The disc/tape I was referring to is a way older source than all that shit. Whilst folk freaked a little when the above mentioned tracks came out, it was understandable where they came from.

The older versions of TWAT, IRS and Catcher that leaked in 06... that apparently freaked folk who were hoarding that stuff out at that time. The tape/disc that contained those three is where Razz's Hard School clip came from and apparently also contained Atlas and Prostitute.

There were people who had that shit since the early 00s, some of whom were on the forums. Where they got it? Who knows.

It's been rumored for years that way back when he was younger and more stupid that Fernando shared unreleased tracks with friends in Brazil.

There was a contingent who had some tracks in Portugal too because they were friends with some girls or something who got to backstage at RIR 01. My memory on that detail is hazy, but they were who MSL tricked in 07 IIRC.

Then there's Jarmo.... he's probably got all of it and has had it for a looooooooong time. Meanwhile he has the nerve to go on his forum and tell disgruntled fans to be patient and that the songs will come when the band is ready.

Disclaimer: my memory on the above isn't perfect, feel free to correct any mistakes you see and know about.

Sky Dog wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Bucket should have been Axl’s Randy Rhoads. A new guitar hero who could stand toe to toe with Slash but in a different way. Same shit with Iommi and Rhoads. Axl fucked up and paid for it.

Yeah that could of been great if he was. I get the comments about him not getting to shine, but the thing is with so many people involved I'm not sure any of them really got to. I mean there are songs on that album with 2 drummers on ffs.

Brain spoke about the plan being to have two drummers at some point in an interview around 4 years ago. If you remember the GMatter site video's from about 10 years ago, there was an animated stage design video on there which showed two drum kits on stage at the same time lol. I love the absurdity of the idea but fucking hell that would have been mad.

Allman Brothers had two drums…founders of “Southern Rock”….just saying

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

These two guys...two members of Praxis...were in the band together for 4 years....

And look at how little there is to show for it.

A damn shame....

James

James wrote:

There were people who had that shit since the early 00s, some of whom were on the forums. Where they got it? Who knows.

*Raises hand*

1. Fernando

2. There was Chinese Democracy hoarding/sharing going on at the Velvet Rope 2004-5 although exactly how much I don't know/remember.

I had forgotten about the Piazza disc.

That year(2003) is when those songs should've been circulated across all forums openly instead of privately at Velvet Rope and the few GNR hoarders at the time.

Yeah....Jarmo obviously had the songs at the time....and I agree about his stance now. I lurked there a bit last year and saw him mocking people wanting more songs.

My memory on that detail is hazy

So is mine....but I think that "Portuguese cabal" thing was a work/smokescreen. It's not really where it came from.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Bucket should have been Axl’s Randy Rhoads. A new guitar hero who could stand toe to toe with Slash but in a different way. Same shit with Iommi and Rhoads. Axl fucked up and paid for it.

Yeah that could of been great if he was. I get the comments about him not getting to shine, but the thing is with so many people involved I'm not sure any of them really got to. I mean there are songs on that album with 2 drummers on ffs.

Brain spoke about the plan being to have two drummers at some point in an interview around 4 years ago. If you remember the GMatter site video's from about 10 years ago, there was an animated stage design video on there which showed two drum kits on stage at the same time lol. I love the absurdity of the idea but fucking hell that would have been mad.

Allman Brothers had two drums…founders of “Southern Rock”….just saying

I knew I was forgetting someone besides the Doobies.

While not really a band, didn't Steely Dan use two drummers occasionally?

Sky Dog wrote:

Not sure but I just checked and the Grateful Dead had 2 for a while as well.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Pretty sure Buckets SR solo was basically just noodling elephant noises. Not much to it.

I’ve heard Fernando gave a bunch of songs to people, have no idea the truth. The major source of leaks came from people at the label. It’s how it fell into the hands of people who didn’t even care what they had., who most likely never even kept them

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

leaks came from people at the label. It’s how it fell into the hands of people who didn’t even care what they had., who most likely never even kept them

This is why it is absolutely mind blowing that the album(s) didn't leak on Limewire/Kazaa in 2000-02.

Isn't this exactly how the demos/rough mixes of Audioslave's debut leaked a year in advance? Too many people got handed the goods.

GNR fans were just unlucky.....the wrong hands got access....across the board.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

Pretty sure Buckets SR solo was basically just noodling elephant noises. Not much to it.

I’ve heard Fernando gave a bunch of songs to people, have no idea the truth. The major source of leaks came from people at the label. It’s how it fell into the hands of people who didn’t even care what they had., who most likely never even kept them

If memory serves me right, didn't those 2017 leaks of alt mixes of Madagascar and The Blues come from MSL. Think he disclosed he got them from someone who used to/does work at UMG.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

bucket discussion....

While Bucket definitely improved a few of the songs no doubt....IRS, TWAT, Riad, and was great on If the World and Sorry....I can definitely see Polluxlm's point. The Village Sessions leak showed that the first album was ready to go without him.

They probably could have released a Bucket-less Chinese Democracy in 2000 or whatever, but I doubt it would've landed. I mean, I like Robin Finck (probably more than most) but I don't think he's a full-fledged replacement for Slash; he's just too different. A tone monster rather than a lead guitar hero in the Slash mould (though I would love to see him in a Queen/Zeppelin-style band where he's the only guitar player and his unique tone is able to shine through).

The fact that Axl seized on Buckethead when he first discovered him shows that Axl, at least, was aware of that. Buckethead was, as others have pointed out, Axl's Randy Rhoads. A guitar prodigy who could do the twiddly technical stuff (better than Slash, if we're being honest) but could also do soulful material like Mrs Beasley. A stage presence, with an iconic silhouette; it's no wonder the press seized on Buckethead as the face of "new GN'R" and kept doing so even after he'd left the band.

And then Axl made the frankly baffling decision to bring Robin back in, and proceed with a three-guitar line-up with two lead guitarists. Immediately, to the press and the wider public, you're implying that Slash was such a towering figure that you need not one but two lead guitarists to replace him. You're belittling your own hires.

Axl should've committed to a two-guitar line-up, with a lead and a rhythm player. Either Robin and Huge, and release the thing in 2000/2001, or Bucket and Huge (or Fortus) and release it in 2002/3. You could conceivably make a case for Bucket and Robin (which would've been... interesting but would still have been effectively two lead players competing with each other).

Axl's argument that "you need three guitarists to play all the parts" never held water. The older GN'R tracks worked fine live with two, and the fact that they're now playing Chinese Democracy tracks with two guitarists gives the lie to the idea that those songs ever needed three guitarists.

Board footer