You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The General and Monsters

misterID wrote:

The shredding also sounds like how Slash shreds

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

The general is disturbing, marevola and in the end it becomes magical with Axl in lyrical and slash mode doing his thing! Black magic!

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

Rtb gave a more elegant feel to the songs, more New York artrock

Miguelox26 wrote:

without the intention of offending anyone. It's slash because it sounds on the recording, recognizing the sound of a musician you like is not easy, but you know it when you are able to do it. I recognize many other guitarists easily and this case is no different It's slash, duff and brain on the drums. What do I base it on? What I hear! Robin staccatoes the notes and has a more piercing, distorted and strident sound!

You're not offending me. I respectfully disagree. Robin's Chinese Democracy solos don't sound distorted or piercing. Robin's solos for Guns N Roses are modern classic rock. Robin also has some industrial sound to his work. I hear Robin's classic rock guitar sound in both The General and Monsters. Slash is classic rock. But Slash is more like old school classic rock. Robin is new school classic rock. I hear Robin's distinct sound on these demos. Not only do these demos sound like 2004 or 2006 but The General for example has Robin's industrial sound on it. The same with Monsters. I don't hear the classic Slash Guns N Roses sound on them. Name me a Guns N Roses song you can compare to the General and Monsters if it Slash? I'm struggling to name one myself. There are many songs from Robin I can compare to them that tells my gut it is Robin.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I love what RTB did with the songs, and I’ll never understand the love for Beavan’s production

The Beavan material is the album(s) at its purest. If you properly mix/master that material, it's ready to go.

The only downside is all the songs weren't finished yet. There's less to work with when coming up with a track list.

Shacklermyrye wrote:

James ill get around to comparing the accapella's, you maybe right about the quick song thing.

I had forgot you were already working on this.

We definitely need it in higher quality... especially The General.

I guess it's an improvement over tweaking that cell clip. 16

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I’d probably compare more with the recent releases than classic stuff. Does Monsters sound like Slash from UYI era? Not really. Does it sound like Slash from Absurd, Hardschool and Perhaps? It does to me.

Could still be Finck or even BH of course but my gut says Slash. Less sure on the General but the voice box is a Slash signature.

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

Easy! in hard skool and absurd slash it has the same sound, it is no longer that classic gn'r sound, it doesn't sound so bluesy, it sounds more hard rock somewhat distorted, and even though they are not such direct songs it makes the same impressions, sound when crushing, its sound when you press the pedal is unmistakable! And finck in this i love for example strident, sharp and staccato sound and in street of dreams likewise, it hatches like slash but staccato the notes and those are the differences that make me give myself Realize that it's slash and not finck, it's cool to have different points of view!

A Private Eye wrote:

I’d probably compare more with the recent releases than classic stuff. Does Monsters sound like Slash from UYI era? Not really. Does it sound like Slash from Absurd, Hardschool and Perhaps? It does to me.

Could still be Finck or even BH of course but my gut says Slash. Less sure on the General but the voice box is a Slash signature.

Who do you think does the solo on the General? Robin or Buckethead?

lol I think the same for those songs but with Robin's versions on Perhaps and Hard Skool. Not Absurd.

The Hard Skool solo from Slash sounds like a classic rock riff.  The Perhaps solo from Slash sounds bluesy at the start and then it sounds like he's trying to imitate Robin on the rest of it.

The General and Monsters feels more like Chinese Democracy.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

General/Monsters is better than I expected. Not much Ben-Hur samples, eh? 16

G - Malibu. The old hat, "woes from hoes". Almost cringey at first listen, but...
M - Lafayette. Mood swing and the underlying trauma. Paging Mr Bailey.

Overall, good stuff, raw emotion. It can be hard to record so personal material, let alone release it.

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I love what RTB did with the songs, and I’ll never understand the love for Beavan’s production

The Beavan material is the album(s) at its purest. If you properly mix/master that material, it's ready to go.

This.

RTB added a lot of flimflam with mixed results. Freese's comparatively angry, snappy drum tracks were replaced; the tempos were loosened up. I'd still like to hear the Beavan album, with Bucket and Brain May spliced in.

Miguelox26 wrote:

Easy! in hard skool and absurd slash it has the same sound, it is no longer that classic gn'r sound, it doesn't sound so bluesy, it sounds more hard rock somewhat distorted, and even though they are not such direct songs it makes the same impressions, sound when crushing, its sound when you press the pedal is unmistakable! And finck in this i love for example strident, sharp and staccato sound and in street of dreams likewise, it hatches like slash but staccato the notes and those are the differences that make me give myself Realize that it's slash and not finck, it's cool to have different points of view!

imo Hard Skool solo sounds like a classic rock riff from Slash. The Robin Hard Skool solo is newer rock. Something we haven't heard before. The same with Perhaps for Robin. And Oklahoma. And Zodiac 13. This I Love is another type of rock solo nobody has heard before. It's a new type of solo and a new type of style. I wouldn't say it is how you're describing it. I'd say This I Love is more like November Rain EVOLVED for something new and fresh. And Street Of Dreams climbs the scale and pops. That's what the Monster solo sounds like it's doing. The Monster solo climbs the chord scale and pops too. That tells me that is Robin. I haven't heard Slash climb the note scale before and then make the sound POP. That's a Robin specialty. That's what Street Of Dreams, Better, TWAT, and This I Love does.

Board footer