You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Click777
 Rep: 0 

Re: The General and Monsters

Click777 wrote:

In Monsters, Slash's guitar sounds until 04:04  then the part of another guitarist begins, which one? Fortus? The same thing happens in the General, Slash's guitar sounds throughout the song, then another guitar enters

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I love what RTB did with the songs, and I’ll never understand the love for Beavan’s production

The Beavan material is the album(s) at its purest. If you properly mix/master that material, it's ready to go.

The only downside is all the songs weren't finished yet. There's less to work with when coming up with a track list.

Shacklermyrye wrote:

James ill get around to comparing the accapella's, you maybe right about the quick song thing.

I had forgot you were already working on this.

We definitely need it in higher quality... especially The General.

I guess it's an improvement over tweaking that cell clip. 16

Hey i got the words "Monster" "Baby" and "Inside" right. 3 out of 70 odd isn't that bad...actually it is but nevermind.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Click777 wrote:

In Monsters, Slash's guitar sounds until 04:04  then the part of another guitarist begins, which one? Fortus? The same thing happens in the General, Slash's guitar sounds throughout the song, then another guitar enters

Fortus i think

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I wish they didn't always have to play Scooby Doo sooper sekrit mystery.

In a perfect (normal) world...Slash, Duff, or preferably Axl would log into Twitter, acknowledge the leak, and give a brief synopsis of the track(s) and how it went down.

It would be so easy to do this.

It's the only fan base that has to debate which band members are on songs.

Not kicking a gift horse in the mouth...a leak is a leak...but getting information along with the music would work wonders.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
James wrote:

In a perfect (normal) world...Slash, Duff, or preferably Axl would log into Twitter, acknowledge the leak, and give a brief synopsis of the track(s) and how it went down.

Not kicking a gift horse in the mouth...a leak is a leak...but getting information along with the music would work wonders.

Yup just say something like oh these are cuts from the older band or these are the current  band but not the final mix

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
guts wrote:

Getting to hear both of these songs is closure in a way for me being a fan of the band since 2006.

I need Oklahoma for closure.

Always have, always will.

I'd like one or two others... preferably Seven...maybe Thyme...but Oklahoma is Numero uno, the big salami, the top dog, the head honcho, the creme de la creme, the big cheese.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I love what RTB did with the songs, and I’ll never understand the love for Beavan’s production

The Beavan material is the album(s) at its purest. If you properly mix/master that material, it's ready to go.

This.

RTB added a lot of flimflam with mixed results. Freese's comparatively angry, snappy drum tracks were replaced; the tempos were loosened up. I'd still like to hear the Beavan album, with Bucket and Brain May spliced in.

I honestly don’t hear any film flam, if anything RTB stripped the songs down. Like IRS and The Blues for example. A lot of those additions came after he left. The tone of the instruments sound leagues better and I think it was worth re-recording them imo.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

Totally, regardless of who plays on the songs, let's enjoy it as each one wants because what a blast with the fucking guns!

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
James wrote:

This was our clue....

Once it was shit canned for PC, that was our clue it wasn't coming out.

Yeah the album is simply too monotonous/repetitive. It keeps covering the same ground.

Around 2-3 of those songs should've been ditched in favor of these two or something else.

Street of Dreams
There Was A Time
This I Love
Prostitute

The album did not need all 4 of those. It's too much.

In retrospect, that Harley/Better debacle was the sign that things were NOT going to go our way in 2006... I agree.

I think that's a good insight into his state of mind. He was stuck on the same $#%, at least when he was inspired to write, to do anything else. And then the project took too long and it was hard to let anything of that old work go. Maybe. Those songs are definitely part of that "letter to Dylan" thesis.

I think it's a shame 'Better' didn't really have a shot at taking off with the way the album was released. That song in 2006 had serious potential and high crossover appeal. "Oh I like that song" - bystanders who I subjected leaks to unwillingly. Indeed, even the lyrics seemed to take on a spirit of moving into new ground and momentum. It was the perfect re-introduction to the band and Axl.

The Blues, also, had a shot if only it had leaned into that up-tempo version they (accidentally?) performed live. When they added orchestrations and RTB of it all it began a process of taking the life out of the song until it was officially a drag by 2008. In 2001, I thought it could have gotten some of that Train - Drops of Jupiter money.

darknemus
 Rep: 23 

darknemus wrote:
James wrote:

Without any bashing, intentional or otherwise, I will express this opinion - keeping in mind its my own only and based upon MY observations re: this band.

As long as TB is 'running the show' so to speak, what you've suggested above has about a -3278% chance of happening, give or take.

One can only hope things change on that information flow front.. but I have my doubts.

Board footer