You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Bush plans Iran strike by August

I have never once suggested that a Candian death is insignificant.  I wouldn't dare dishonor any man who gave his life for a cause he deemed worthy.  Again, I was never attacking Canada, saying it isn't a beautiful, friendly, nice country.  I simplied stated that in my opinion, it's not the "greatest" ally of the US.  That doesn't change the fact that it is an ally and good one at that.  Canada and the US are more alike than any other nation (Canada just doesn't love freedom as much as the US, I kid lol). 

And finally, acknowledging the leadership and contribuitons of a few men who wore some stars on their shoulders isn't glorifying war.  George C. Marshall is probably better know for his status as the US Secretary of State and The Marshall Plan for help rebuilding Europe than as the Chief of Staff during WW2.  I don't see how honoring men who led the way to destroying evil and protecting their nation is glorifying death (which is what you meant when you sai dwe glorify war).  Ecspecially since we have more anti-war crazes here than all of Canada combined smile.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that it is an ally and good one at that.  Canada and the US are more alike than any other nation (Canada just doesn't love freedom as much as the US, I kid lol).

haha 5

Randall Flagg wrote:

And finally, acknowledging the leadership and contribuitons of a few men who wore some stars on their shoulders isn't glorifying war.  George C. Marshall is probably better know for his status as the US Secretary of State and The Marshall Plan for help rebuilding Europe than as the Chief of Staff during WW2.  I don't see how honoring men who led the way to destroying evil and protecting their nation is glorifying death (which is what you meant when you sai dwe glorify war).  Ecspecially since we have more anti-war crazes here than all of Canada combined smile.

well your country is locked in a war right now that is costing tax payers lots of money and there are lots of casualties...its no surprise that there are alot of Anti war rallys and stuff

as for america glorifying war...how many war movies have been made? how many are about the US army...GI Joe toys come to mind as well, the US has a mind set of destroying Evil as you said by force of arms...i mean the amount of patriotism in the US is prolly higher than any other country and thats something to applaud, i'm not knocking that at all... I am thankful for anyone who stood up and gave their lives to give me and my kids the chance at living in a free country 5

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I also want to add that taking credit for something you have no involvement in is pretty dumb.  For example, me claiming that I am somehow cool or better because of the american revolution, ww2, etc means nothing as I wasn't there.  Considering you have no idea what is taught in American schools, and I'd bet my paycheck you're extremely ignorant on military history, I'd be careful before you begin a debate with me about who did what and who deserves credit.  Another ill-informed wannabe doing the "cool" thing and poking fun at "americans", exactly my point that started this whole side show.

hahahaha!!! Your arrogance shines.  yeah I'm a wannabe. Good one. Nothing I could debate  would change your view anyways. Neemo's made that perfectly clear. You're a one trick pony with miliatry on the brain and that's about it. That equates to greatness in your mind but unfortunately that's why the rest of the world rolls their eyes at you. That's one thing many Americans fail to realize. Military strength is not something the world respects.  It just isn't. Once you figure that out you'll be alot better off. You've made so many foolish comments in this thread already so where you get off calling me a wannabe who's trying to act "cool" is beyond me. In my one post point out one thing that I said that was incorrect. Go ahead but I know you can't. All you can say is "You have no idea what's taught in our schools"  and that I better think twice before engaging in a debate with you. 18 hahaha roll Great counter point. You said America gets the credit for wining the wars. I called bullshit. It's US homeland fabricated credit.  Deal with it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Canada, France and Germany can all pay outrageous gas prices to the middle east and claim moral superiority.  No offense to Neemo or any other fellows from the North, but I am so damn tired of listening to Candadians and liberal Americans alike gloat about how great Canada is and how much more wonderful they have it.  Canada is like the spolied teenager that has everything provided for them by their hard-working father, but shows no sense of appreciation.  Canada enjoys its culture, freedom and security almost entirely to the US.  The US should start bussing Mexicans into Canada and instate high tarriffs.  Then we'd see how good things are.

This too. Unbelievable. You are so naive. You're probably one of those who think Canada is lucky the States "allow" us to be free. Like if you wanted to you could take us over in a  heartbeat. Reality check Randall. The global backlash towards the States if America were to ever even entertain the idea of "taking away our freedom" would be unprecedented. There's a reason why Americans travell overseas with Maple Leafs sewn on their backpacks. It's called respect. Canada is great, always has been great and always will be great. We just dont' shove it down everyone's throats. The States are great too but far too often the American attitude is the one you've posted here. The one that makes people resent you. Seriously man where the fuck do you get this bullshit that Canada owes everything to you?  I'm not going any further with this because it pisses me off and nothing good will come from it. But seriously this is a prime exapmple of why so much hate from around the world is directed at Americans. It's your spit in the face attitude that you feel you're superior to everyone and everything. It's a disrespectful attitude and nobody likes being disrespected.

Randall Flagg

Do you understand the word irony and/or hypocrite?  I have no reason to participate in a discussion with you, as you simply assert your position with no evidence to the contrary.  Do you really believe a mentionable amount of Americans pretend to be Canadians when they leave the US?  Let's be a bit more objective.  I want you to explain to me what major contribution Canada provided during WW2.  Nothing comes to mind, how about in general?  Let's hear the great minds and inventions to come out of Canada.  And finally, don't kid yourself.  While such an invent would never occur, Canada would fall within hours if the US decided to do so.  Protests and tought internet attitudes don't stop one of the largest and the most technologically advanced country in the world.  This is of course all mental masturbation, because America would never harm Canada, but please don't tell me what the rest of the world cares about and respect.  You speak for yourself and you have no idea who I am, and what I do.  Take the psuedo intellectual shit elsewhere, cause I promise you that you're outmatched.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who gets into arguments in this section!  5 22

Randall Flagg

I have no problem having meaningful discussions.  In fact, I rather quite enjoy them.  But when people simply assert their point of view, and offer no objective, measurable source, and then have the audacity to tell me I'm out of touch and wrong, I'm forced to view such comments as if they were coming from an irrational child.  I love to discuss intelligently and hear points of views other than my own (unlike a recent member who said he would no longer post here because people don't agree with his view [why somoene would want to post messages that pat each other on the back and say how right they are is beyond me, start a blog])  but I don't have to respect someone's opinion when it is nothing more than an emotional outburst solely intended to solicit the same from me.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I disgaree CC.  Afghanistan is a decisive victory for the US.  We did what the Soviets couldn't.  Unfortunately, our focus has been diverted to Iraq.  Again, it's not as if we couldn't totally annihilaite our enemies in either country.  We could totally remove all elements in Iraq and Afghanistan if we were willing to use all of our abilities.  This means untying the hands of our soldiers and letting them fight the war in the same manner we fought WWII. 

Iran is not an impossible victory. In fact, I believe we could easily nullify most of Iran's military in less than 72 hours.  However, the inevitable ground war and media circus that would follow would inevitably result in the same stalemate as we now observe in Iraq.  Mark my words, the US will ultimatley win in Iraq, but it is going to be a slow and methodical process.

I'll define victory as: "Controlling a region, while making a profit".

Historically it was done by applying continuous force. First to defeat the government, and if necessary, to defeat the population. When the region has been pacified enough for trade and taxation to become profitable, all you need is some type of garrison or police force to maintain the status quo for the necessary amount of time.

But like you say, that doesn't work anymore. Compared to earlier societies the present western world has an extremely low tolerance for what is today deemed excessive use of force.
Meaning; no city sacking, torture, executions, mass punishment or genocide.

I'm no advocate of war, but I know if you're going to engage in one, proper use of force is the only way to go. That includes massacring entire cities, families and children in order to prove a point. The actual amount of force is secondary to the promise of it. This is why ancient generals like Alexander and Caesar experienced minimal rebellions and dissidence in conquered provinces, even though they were months and years away from applying direct force if it had been needed. They set the standard, immediately.

With Iraq you have the situation of an imperialistic superpower, as perceived by the native population, going in under the pretense to liberate a people from a dictator and the world from WMDs. Of course, considering the superpower themselves placed the dictator in power, funded him and gave him the WMDs, it creates some public relations difficulties. Neither does it help that the superpower has already attacked one of your neighbors and is actively threatening another.

So you can't use force, and the image card to sway them ideologically is pretty much out the window. As are religion and culture. The last card is money. How about some prosperity? Well, after the globalists have taken their 'share', what's left? And how big a slice of that is going to the Iraqi government operating expenses and interest to the World Bank?

On top of that you have to take into consideration that there is no centralized enemy, home support is dwindling and the simple fact that 'war' is more profitable than 'victory'.

So no, I don't think you can win in any satisfying way. Mostly because wars and victories are not what they used to be. In the old days they fought for money, territory and power. Today they fight so they can hold office and distract their citizens from all their heinous money and power making schemes.

Edit: I think you can win, but I don't believe you will.   

If Bush wanted instant approval ratings, he could take control of the Iraqi oil fields and divert all oil to the US.  The Iraqis would profit from their oil, but the US and maybe even Britain would be the sole consumers.  Gasoline would immeditatley drop below 2$ again and you'd see Saudi, Iran, and Venezuela quickly follow suit as they'd lose their leverage with the US and fear India and China's reprisal for such blatant price gouging.

He could never do that. First off that would be totally unacceptable to big business, and secondly it would utterly shatter what is left of the illusion created by the administration. Bush' may be shitting on the constitution and passing fascist laws, but he still needs to act somewhat in accordance to this illusion.

The world is a better and safer place becuase of the US.  If some people want to live in Fantasia and dream about a middle east that isn't hellbent on destroying the west, then go for it.  I'm not defending all the polices of the Bush administration, but military and political action needs to take place there.  I'm tired of American men dying while the rest of the world protests and receives the benefits.  No nation that did not send Soldiers to Iraq should ever receive one drop of its oil. 

I know I've gotten off topic here, but this is all the underlying theme.  The US goes to bat and saves the day, while the rest of the world looks down at us and plays monday morning quarterback.  Americans want to blame bush for the War, while Congress has fought him tooth and nail on every measure.  Part of me wishes Obama would get elected so when WW3 starts while he sips tea with the leader of Iran I can say I told you so while I go play Rambo in the rockies.  But the surviors would simply blame Bush and build a monument to Obama.  The US will eventually win in Afghanistan and Iraq, but it won't be thanks to the likes of Obama or Clinton, but true patriots like McCain and General Petraeus.

Fantasia? That's extremely bold.

Action needs to be taken in a lot of places, but we need to start focusing on why some people are 'hellbent on destroying the west'. If we're so wonderful, how can that be? It doesn't make any sense.

Read up on the covert history of the west this last century and you'll see plenty of reasons. Grave and horrific reasons.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Do you understand the word irony and/or hypocrite?  I have no reason to participate in a discussion with you, as you simply assert your position with no evidence to the contrary.  Do you really believe a mentionable amount of Americans pretend to be Canadians when they leave the US?  Let's be a bit more objective.  I want you to explain to me what major contribution Canada provided during WW2.  Nothing comes to mind, how about in general?  Let's hear the great minds and inventions to come out of Canada.  And finally, don't kid yourself.  While such an invent would never occur, Canada would fall within hours if the US decided to do so.  Protests and tought internet attitudes don't stop one of the largest and the most technologically advanced country in the world.  This is of course all mental masturbation, because America would never harm Canada, but please don't tell me what the rest of the world cares about and respect.  You speak for yourself and you have no idea who I am, and what I do.  Take the psuedo intellectual shit elsewhere, cause I promise you that you're outmatched.

whats is you problem with canada buddy? alot of things have come out of canada, internet things? google and java come to mind.

Canada was the only strike force to reach its objectives on D-Day

Canadian Inventions
AM radio Invented by :  Guglielmo Marconi
IMAX projector and system  Invented by : Graeme Ferguson, Roman Kroitor and Robert Kerr
Telephone Invented by :  Alexander Graham Bell
Television nvented by : Reginald A. Fessenden
Zipper Invented by : Gideon Sundback
Music Synthesizer Invented by: Hugh LeCaine
Electron microscope Invented by : Eli Franklin Burton, Cecil Hall, James Hillier, and Albert Prebus
Standard Time Zones Invented by : Sanford Fleming
Basketball Ivented by : James Naismith
Canadarm Invented by : Spar Aerospace Ltd

Here are some Famous canadians
Dan Akroyd
Pam Anderson
Paul Anka
Bryan Adams
Sebastian Bach
Bachman-Turner-Overdrive
David Cronenberg
Jim Carrey
Neve Campbell
Leonard Cohen
John Candy
James Cameron
James Doohan
Celine Dion
Brendan Fraser
Michael J. Fox
Lorne Green
Wayne Gretzky
The Guess Who
Natasha Henstridge
Phil Hartman
Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Corey Haim
Corey Hart
Jeff Healey
Michael Ironside
Peter Jennings
Margot Kidder
Chad Kroeger
Eugene Levy
Avril Lavigne
Geddy Lee
Alex Lifeson
Todd McFarlane
Sarah McLachlan
Mike Myers
Alanis Morissette
Carrie-Anne Moss
Norm MacDonald
Amanda Marshall
Joni Mitchell
Anne Murray
Loreena McKennitt
Kim Mitchell
Rick Moranis
Leslie Nielsen
Neil Peart
Jason Priestley
Keanu Reeves
William Shatner
Paul Shaffer
Joe Shuster
Donald Sutherland
Martin Short
Kiefer Sutherland
Steppenwolf
Paul Tracy
Alex Trebek
Alan Thicke
Shania Twain
Jacques Villeneuve
Neil Young

a couple famous war vets
Billy Bishop - World War I fighter pilot, shot down 72 enemy planes
Roy Brown - World War I fighter pilot, shot down the Red Baron
William Barker -  World War I fighter pilot, took on 60 enemy planes at once

here's a couple lists maybe you should educate yourself before you run your mouth
http://www.canadians.ca/index.html
http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/Canadians/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Canadians

Randall Flagg

Neemo, I have nothing against Canada.  My post was directed solely at Bono to justify his attack against the US.  To see if he had a clue at all (I already know he doesn't).  I certainly know that many, many intelligent and important people have come from Canada.  Although, I would hope that you don't consider that list of entertainers to be the great minds and gifts of Canada.  People that changed the world through their inventions and lives are people I admire, not someone who looks pretty or can cry on cue.  I'm not attacking you or your country.  I just want to address the mindset held by people such as Bono.  Education is important, and actually providing sources for your opinion (as you did) is what I'm getting at.  Simply saying that the US is a war driven country that wears Maple Leaves to hide their nationality is moronic at best, especially with no supporting evidence.

Board footer