You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: The General and Monsters

polluxlm wrote:

Only thing I can't complain about in GN'R is the music (the little we get of it). For the most part I enjoy the songs, warts and all.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

furly06 wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:
UYI4 wrote:

So many hating in comments on social media sites.  Lots love it.  I heard the recent leak of the G.  So I’d heard it prior but new one sounds better than the leak to my ears.  I think something people are to remember is this is supposed to be considered a “B-side.”  To me that means song that was thrown out due to it feeling not strong enough etc.. or maybe CD era band or new returning slash duff band or Axl feel or felt at some point that it wasn’t worthy for an album release.  I think we’d all still agree that it’s still them releasing something which is better than nothing.  Even the worst GNR song id welcome to have something new.  People jock AFD so much.  Sure it’s great.  I’m more of an illusions guy.  I love the grandiose Queen on steroids.  To me that’s when GNR found a defined sound as a band was UYI.  To me people need to stop jerking AFD and be glad something is even happening.  Even if the way the band goes about it and the slowness of it is completely stupid and unnecessary.

I love Chinese Democracy. It has very good songs in a new direction and i think some bands always do the same and others like GNR search for new directions: AFD, UYI, CD...
But at some point they have a catalogue. And we as hardcore fans have our hopes in the new material to be at the average of that catalogue.
I was listening yesterday to the General in Spotify and i was almost slept and when TG finished next song was Don't Cry ... I realized then the BIG difference in terms of quality.
I think all we have til now Absurd, HS, Perhaps and now TG don't fit in the GNR catalogue as most of the songs of Chinese do.
I still have curiosity about Seven or others but.... Ummmm... So dissapointed with the last songs except Perhaps (nothing out of this world but It fits in the illusions).
That's my honest opinion and don't want to upset anyone here.
I listen for example to Buckcherry and every album has very good songs which adds to their catalogue. Opposite to GNR. And other many bands. But at the end of the day, i love GNR and i'm always waiting for their music.

Wise words. Too many occasional or nostalgic fans.

I don't want to be ingenuos. I know is almost impossible to ask them a new WTTJ, a paradise city, a November rain... As we can not ask top Europe put out a new The Final Countdown.
But that's a thing... And another thing is that they release a very very low average songs with a lack of decent production, all the song repeating the same lyrics (perhaps, TG...)
Hey, last time i felt what i was listening fit GNR catalogue was in Chinese... Better, SR, The Blues (SOD), Catcher, TWAT... Surely they are not WTTJ but they are at the level. But these last songs if they had been released by another band we wouldn't listen at them more than one time. I'm sure of that.

Mike McGann
 Rep: 0 

Mike McGann wrote:

Why would I want songs
That sound like the classic stuff?
Give me growth and change!

I’m older, wiser…
Less full of heat and anger…
Music’s grown with me.

I don’t miss my youth.
I’ve been there, done that, and learned.
Let’s keep evolving!

I prefer these songs
To “Jungle” and “November”
(Of course, still love them!)

It’s still Axl’s voice
You can still hear Slash and Duff…
It’s a mature Guns.

Splash

/Mike

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

it's an interesting song. there are elements of the song i really love. overall, i like it. it's certainly different and i respect that.

the dark vibe of the song fits the lyrics well. the lyrics are actually what saves the song for me (although totally lazy just repeating the same lyrics):
- the schitzo-like lyrics of the main verse - "i'll be good" vs "i won't be good, and you'll all be sorry."
- lyrics referencing "pain" are legit painful to hear.
- "my only regret, is that i never took the time to forgive" - i love that line. I don't mind how Axl's vocals sound - something different. 

one of the biggest negatives is the "don't know what to tell you now" part - cringe-worthy.

as others have suggested, with a little bit of work and a better mix, there is an absolute killer song here.

glad to finally get it. curious if Duff will play it on his Sirius show. other than that, it will be forgotten about.

carlossacanell

Mike, as i said at the end of the day i love so much this band that i enjoy everything. And i'm also with you that they are mature and that brings an evolution to their music.
But... The quality, the creativity, the art of surprised fans with the music.
I feel this band could make it better. For me TG is not a bad song but let me cold when i listen It. Is this the continuation of the trilogy? Can It be compared to the songs of the trilogy in terms of quality, impact, surprise... Not for me.
Bach said this song was his favourite song of all the material he heard.... How will be the unheard songs... I hope he is wrong!
I remember when people talked about BIG Guns... I think the last Big guns i've heard are several songs of CD. But not HS, Absurd, TG or Perhaps.
And don't misunderstand me, i enjoy these songs but if i rate them are far away from Big guns

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
furly06 wrote:
faldor wrote:

It’s #1 on the iTunes rock chart… for now. Still a bit disappointing that they went all out initially with “Perhaps” and this song gets released and that’s about it. The music video for Perhaps was such a pleasant surprise, but of course they did nothing to follow up on that so the interest died pretty quickly. The nothingness surrounding this song will make everyone forget about it by the evening. I understand it’s a “B” side, but it’s certainly not your typical B side, especially with the lack of material released over the years. They do the bare minimum and despite some signs of change with the Perhaps release, it’s now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Can you link? I can’t find the ranking

I don’t have a link, since it’s just listed in the iTunes Store. It’s still holding at #1. I can’t say the competition is all that imposing though. Perhaps was around top 10 on the all genres chart for awhile. That chart today is dominated by Nikki Manaj. She must have just released an album because she has 26 of the top 36 songs.

The Rock top 12
1. The General - GNR
2. Love Is a Long Road - Tom Petty
3. What Do I Got To Lose - Sebastian Bach
4. Son Of a Sinner - Jelly Roll
5. Gone - Gerry Lee
6. One More Time - blink 182
7. Please Come Home For Christmas- Eagles
8. Seeing Red - Architects
9. Now and Then - The Beatles
10. In My Life - The Beatles
11. Mr. Brightside - The Killers
12. A Symptom of Being Human - Shinedown

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

Mike, as i said at the end of the day i love so much this band that i enjoy everything. And i'm also with you that they are mature and that brings an evolution to their music.
I feel this band could make it better. For me TG is not a bad song but let me cold when i listen It. Is this the continuation of the trilogy? Can It be compared to the songs of the trilogy in terms of quality, impact, surprise... Not for me.
Bach said this song was his favourite song of all the material he heard.... How will be the unheard songs... I hope he is wrong!
I remember when people talked about BIG Guns... I think the last Big guns i've heard are several songs of CD. But not HS, Absurd, TG or Perhaps.
And don't misunderstand me, i enjoy these songs but if i rate them are far away from Big guns

Not that there’s any rhyme or reason to the way they do things, but making The General a B side would seem to indicate they (the band, etc.) don’t consider it a Big Gun either. It was released at midnight with a few tweets leading up to it and a YouTube video of just the audio. No lyric video even. Not exactly giving it the red carpet treatment.

furly06

furly06 wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

I agree with you, these last songs are not at all up to the past albums if compared to them, except Perhaps that there could be in one of the two UYI. They certainly had potential to be better than they are now. Absurd and TG with a better vocal mix, HS with less banal lyrics, etc. I hope they put more effort into the next new pieces like Monsters

furly06

furly06 wrote:
faldor wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

Not that there’s any rhyme or reason to the way they do things, but making The General a B side would seem to indicate they (the band, etc.) don’t consider it a Big Gun either. It was released at midnight with a few tweets leading up to it and a YouTube video of just the audio. No lyric video even. Not exactly giving it the red carpet treatment.

That’s right, they let it out for whim. They didn’t give him much importance as Perhaps, to whom they dedicated many posts and merchandising

Couso

Couso wrote:

This just in… my own personal ratings for the new songs

Perhaps - fucking great
Hard skool - fucking great
The general - good but not my fave
Monsters - one of the best things they have ever done so help me Jesus it’s awesome so it is!
Absurd- sucks the sweat off of a dead man’s balls

Board footer