You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The General and Monsters

monkeychow wrote:

Glad you are ok james.

The flu is no joke it fucked up one of my best friends heart badly a few years back.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The elephant in the room is what happened to the songwriting.

Obviously we know he's one of the greatest songwriters of his generation and indeed probably all time...

I no longer believe this.

An incredible singer with a unique voice and insane charisma who showed flashes of brilliance creatively.

The majority of his career, including what should've been his prime/second act, completely squandered on a project he couldn't even finish.

Yeah it's tragic.

Like if they had not fought GNR could have done a monster album in the late 90s, or even if not then had the reunion happened in 2005 or 2006 we would have seen some amazing things.

But still, despite all the fuck ups, I have to pay him his credit for his early career, like AFD and UYI are some of the best rock albums of all time. Most people can not sit down and write a "November Rain" for instance, so I still believe him to be one of the greatest of his generation.

But it's interesting how he was so deeply creative and then seemed to hit such a profound wall that he never even finished most of these ideas.

It makes me think - like all those sad cases in the 27 club who died and people are always like "imagine what else they might have done" but it makes you wonder - like maybe if the Kurts and Jimis etc were alive they would have hit a similar wall and never done much new either.

Mind you I think Axl has it worse as his background and mental health seemed to have caused him a lot of pain. Who knows, maybe it's like we can have unhappy and creative near death Axl, or an alive and happy and just likes doing shows and playing old hits Axl. I'm glad he made it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Saboteur wrote:

https://rockandrolltruestories.com/buck … s-n-roses/

"2003 proved to be another quiet year on the recording front and by the end of 2003, Buckethead’s manager revealed that the guitarist finally quit the band due to the group’s inability to deliver an album."

There is no evidence that Buckethead participated in recordings after 2002, claiming that Buckethead/Finck version is better is just trolling.

Jesus Christ, get the bug out of your ass, no one said it was better as a fact, because all we’ve heard is a snippet. It was my opinion, about what I like, based on the other leaks. He was definitely in the band up until Axl announced that he left. There’s a ton of material he and Brain worked on. Scraped wasn’t even in any of the locker leaks. So…

Sky Dog wrote:

Monkeychow, Axl and Kurt couldn’t sniff or hold Jimi Hendrix’s jock. Hendrix is on a whole other level.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

Vocally, Axl Rose has no rival, no one has done what he did when he was young. If the voices were knives, Axl's would be a machete! P.s. Axl/Dc was superhuman and he was already a few years old!

Sky Dog wrote:

Back in the day, Don Henley said Axl had a voice like a chainsaw.

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

Yes, right, man, hahaha... I also heard about the dagger from someone in some media, I don't remember... I hesitated to use the chainsaw!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I'm hearing Axl in my yard right now. Sounds like he could use a tuneup.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I agree back in the day Axl had no rivals.

I saw some classic footage in a group chat the other day of Axl back in his prime and even though I know they are good you just forget how mindblowing it really was back in the day.

Anyways, I didn't mean to be shitting on Axl. I'm just saying the modern band is enjoyable but they are not peak-them anymore, I think that's fair, I'm not peak-me either 16

I know people hate Motley Crue too but I think they are a great band, and as I was saying, while Vince has been 'objectively' bad for years (thousands of videos to prove it) I subjectively find it doesn't harm the show much due to the kinda "casual fun" party vibe nature of a motley show. In fairness I always have fun at GNR too. I was just saying I think a vocally worrisome version of NR is harder to deal with than a vocally worrisome version of Dr Feelgood - just because of the mood of the songs. But my point really was that neither band is prime, but they do compliment each other, if they do it and tour here I would go 100%.

John 5 replacing Mick Mars is curious, as it's a real demonstration of X factor. Like John 5 is a formidable guitarist, endless respect, and further - he has the respect for the fans enough to play the parts properly to the recorded melody  (something I think would have improved 2002 GNR immensely) but never the less, even though he plays it note-perfect, the sound does lack Mick's kinda agressive feel and tone or something. Hard to define. Not shitting on John though - i think given Mick was calling it a day he's a great choice and I'm excited for their new EP with bob rock supposedly coming in 2024. But it's interesting in the "what makes a band a band" sense.

As for Hendrix, it's hard to kinda rate him against Axl as guitar and vox are different animals. He was a great guitarist very innovative that's for sure. Hard to rate even guitarists against each other at this point as everyone is good at something and it's sort of like there's points for innovation, points for chops, points for creativity.

Like EVH changed how people play guitar, and I love his solos, but i think Slash plays better solos in terms of how they elevate a song overall - like solos like NR and  and SCOM define the rock sound. Likewise Hendrix invented a lot of stuff - like purple haze and voodoo child etc are amazing - but then at the same time you look at what the modern youtube shred guys  can do and in it's own way it's better than all famous people. So it's kinda hard to get a lock on what's what. But they're all great in different ways.

Anyways, roll on the GNR/Motley tour....and if both bands could drop an EP in 2024...well then I'd start to understand why I became a fan of rock music instead of learning to quilt or something 16

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

Totally agree

Board footer