You are not logged in. Please register or login.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

Re: 2024 “Taking Off”

I think Duff & Slash are recording, promoting and touring and this isn't a good thing in this band.
Axl is having a rest. He still has material from CD era and i don't think they are going to release anything til they start a tour.
We don't know what Axl thinks on the new music done by Slash and Duff. Just remember that Axl didn't like snakepit material for GNR.
So i have the feeling we are in the same 94-95 situación.
All decisions are in Axl's pocket. So i don't know what's next...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

Even during the Chinese years, we were never allowed to get away from it. There's even an old logo plastered in The General video.

This seems weirdly nitpicky. Most bands have one iconic logo that they're associated with; when they hit their legacy years they revive it if they went through variations over the years. Pretty much all Beatles releases use the "drop T" logo (which never actually showed up on their releases in the 60s, but was knocked up for Ringo's drum kit), pretty much all the Oasis releases use the one from Definitely Maybe etc.

Yeah it is nitpicky but at this late stage of the game we can either nitpick it to death or gloss over the whole thing.

My fandom...if I can even call it that anymore...has reached a new level.

The whole thing (the CD saga) was just one massive swindle since day one. I no longer believe there was ever a genuine attempt at "moving forward". It helps explain the Helter skelter nature of the project.

It started on day one....

OMG and Live Era in 99

Look which one got the big push.

I didn't realize it at the time but that helped set the tone.

The reunion era was just a continuation...it was not a legitimate reunion/reboot of the "band".

Having said that, I thank them for releasing the few songs we have.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The whole thing (the CD saga) was just one massive swindle since day one. I no longer believe there was ever a genuine attempt at "moving forward". It helps explain the Helter skelter nature of the project.

It started on day one....

OMG and Live Era in 99

Look which one got the big push.

I didn't realize it at the time but that helped set the tone.

The reunion era was just a continuation...it was not a legitimate reunion/reboot of the "band".

Having said that, I thank them for releasing the few songs we have.

This is just guessing but I still think at some part/point in his mind that he expected Slash and Duff to come back and help him finish the record.  That's why you had all the stuff about the reunion that almost happened in 2005.  In retrospect, I have to wonder what the hell Slash was hoping to accomplish by showing up in Las Vegas at the House of Blues in 2001.

As far as the current band goes, it's basically a continuation of 1993 EXCEPT that the parts are a little different and that they haven't solved whatever issues led to them breaking up in the first place.  This reunion is just all for touring revenue and nothing else.  There is /will be no attempt to write and record new music as a band anyway, even with the spectre of AFD turning 40 in a few years.

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:
Bill Brasky wrote:

Atlas/Monsters vinyl
Spot shows.

Just remember when you think you know what Axl rose is doing you're usually wrong.

For this to get very interesting would only require Axl doing vocals for few days.

Remember the rumor of a ep called Night train ?
You got potentially
1.absurd
2.hardschool
3.perhaps
4.the general
5.atlas
6.monsters.
Hypothetically
7.omg
8.seven/berlin/4 heavens

Remember Axl gets his publishing rights back from Sanctuary in 2025.

Guns N's Roses owes umg 1 more record. So wouldn't them doing a release in the fall and Axl gets all his publishing rights back in 2025 make sense.

I'm going along with this.  Throw something together to satisfy the UMG deal, give Axl the year to get himself together, and meet January 2025 to start recording music that they will hold the publishing for.  Sometimes you have to add a little fantasy to keep things interesting big_smile

Sky Dog wrote:

Complete Fantasyland….we are dead as a door nail now….feel lucky we got  Monsters. I would say Atlas Shrugged too but we have had that for awhile. And, NO, Slash and Duff couldn’t make that song better…..would be just like Perhaps. Good tunes as written but no way to really take them to some crazy dreamed up world.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

How many more albums died Axl / Guns N’ Roses owe UMG?

Just get one done and get a new label if that’s all they owe…

Sky Dog wrote:

Nobody knows how many albums they owe….nobody cares at this point. If they claim they know, they are full of shit. They are not releasing an album because they don’t want to.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

When was the last time Axl Rose talked about writing and recording and releasing new music?  That is all you need to now.

The other guys (and this goes for the last 30 years) can say whatever they want .  They are not the ones holding it up.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:

We don't even know IF GN'R owes any albums to the label, because we don't know what exactly their current deal with UMG is. In the credits of the recent releases it looks like Geffen/UMG acts only as distributor for GN'R and not as a record label.

As for Axl's publishing deal with Sanctuary, here is the document:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8176-2004-09-20- … -sanctuary

But it's completely irrelevant to now, because: 1) Sanctuary was no more in 2007 (was bought out); 2) The agreement would have expired by now anyway, as it was for 12-15 years (not for 20 years like we thought) starting from March 2004 (although the deal became public in early 2005, it had been signed in 2004); 3) It didn't cover songs that would be written after the release of Chinese Democracy, and it also doesn't seem that it covered songs that were written during the Chinese Democracy sessions but would not be on CD (it says it would be in Axl's discretion to include such songs in the agreement). The Sanctuary agreement covered Axl's share in a) all released GN'R songs from the "historic catalogue", b) other old songs Axl has a writing credit for, like Crash Diet and the Hollywood Rose songs, c) Oh My God, Madagascar and The Blues and d) whatever other original songs would eventually be on Chinese Democracy.

All we know for the current state re: publishing is that UMG Publishing has Axl's publishing. We don't know what the UMG publishing deal covers and when it expires.

Bill Brasky
 Rep: 0 

Bill Brasky wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

We don't even know IF GN'R owes any albums to the label, because we don't know what exactly their current deal with UMG is. In the credits of the recent releases it looks like Geffen/UMG acts only as distributor for GN'R and not as a record label.

As for Axl's publishing deal with Sanctuary, here is the document:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8176-2004-09-20- … -sanctuary

But it's completely irrelevant to now, because: 1) Sanctuary was no more in 2007 (was bought out); 2) The agreement would have expired by now anyway, as it was for 12-15 years (not for 20 years like we thought) starting from March 2004 (although the deal became public in early 2005, it had been signed in 2004); 3) It didn't cover songs that would be written after the release of Chinese Democracy, and it also doesn't seem that it covered songs that were written during the Chinese Democracy sessions but would not be on CD (it says it would be in Axl's discretion to include such songs in the agreement). The Sanctuary agreement covered Axl's share in a) all released GN'R songs from the "historic catalogue", b) other old songs Axl has a writing credit for, like Crash Diet and the Hollywood Rose songs, c) Oh My God, Madagascar and The Blues and d) whatever other original songs would eventually be on Chinese Democracy.

All we know for the current state re: publishing is that UMG Publishing has Axl's publishing. We don't know what the UMG publishing deal covers and when it expires.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_Records
In April 2007, Billboard reported that Sanctuary Records would cease to exist as a new release label in the US that summer, though catalogue, licensing, and new media operations would continue. On 15 June 2007 Universal Music Group announced it had reached an agreement to buy Sanctuary Records for £44.5 million.[11] The agreement was completed in October 2007. By December 2007, it appeared that the Sanctuary name had begun to be phased out, with both Morrissey and Robert Plant being transferred to the Universal-owned Decca Music Group and Iron Maiden to Universal Music Enterprises (with distribution by Sony Music Entertainment, a successor to Sanctuary and Columbia's distribution partnership for the band's releases) for future releases.

On 21 September 2012, regulators approved Universal Music Group's planned acquisition of EMI from Citibank for £1.2 billion.[12] However, due to conditions imposed by the European Commission, UMG was required to sell Sanctuary.[13] It was one of the three units of Universal Music, never fully owned by EMI, that were forced to be sold; other such units were Vivendi Entertainment and V2 Records. BMG Rights Management acquired Sanctuary for over €46 million.[14] In June 2013, BMG agreed to have INgrooves distribute the label's catalogue in North America, while the PIAS Group would handle international rights; however, Black Sabbath's catalogue remained at Universal until March 2014, when BMG took over the band's distribution.[15] In March 2017, BMG transferred the distribution rights of select Sanctuary artists to Warner Music Group's ADA division.[16]

In 2023, BMG signed a new distribution deal with Universal Music Group, Sanctuary's previous owner.[17]

Board footer