You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: Let the reunion rumors roll...

NY Giants82 wrote:

If we get a reunion before CD, you can kiss CD goodbye. It'll never see the light of day.

Sky Dog wrote:

I think Axl is going to do both a full reunion and will release CD. And, I predict Izzy will be fully involved in any Gnr Reunion.:slash:

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
madagas wrote:

I think Axl is going to do both a full reunion and will release CD.

This is what I REALLY want!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I dusted off the leaks after being kept on the shelf for about 6 months.

They still hold up.

Not releasing them after all these years would be unprecedented, even for old Ax.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

madagas wrote:

I think Axl is going to do both a full reunion and will release CD. And, I predict Izzy will be fully involved in any Gnr Reunion.:slash:

I agree, on both counts. Especially about Izzy, Slash says in his book Izzy was preparing to return in 93 if the band had got it's shit together but it was worse than ever so he decided to stay away. Whenever it's reunion time I think he'll be there, my guess is it'll be the 91 lineup that hits the stage when the time comes.

As for CD I think Axl's still trying to get it out, I don't think I believe any reunion talks are in the works right now, it'd be nice but I'm not sure it's happening just yet. Axl's been left in quite pickle though, he can keep negotiating on CD for now but his thoughts must surely have gone beyond that. Assuming CD finally gets the go ahead in the next 12 months (for arguments sake) and gets released, he knows they'll have to do some performances and take GNR on the road and with Robin gone (at the very least he's still with NIN at this point) he's going to have to do so with less than half of the band who wrote the material. Of those members one's a keyboardist and anothers a synth guy, only Tommy's left from the core of the band (there's an arguement for Fortus but by his own admission he didn't really write any of the CD stuff, just redid Huge's parts). You can't tell me that Axls vision for GNR was him performing live with replacements of replacements.

Would it be better to just release the album and not tour behind it then? Saves him having to try and replace Robin. Further down the line though come reunion time, they'll maybe record a new album together and at the very least tour, where does CD fit into this? Nowhere, it'll be forgotten about, can't see Axl being too happy about his decade in the making album being tossed aside the second he reunites with Slash and the rest.

I think Axl wants CD out before a reunion or anything else, but due to circumstances I only see two possible outcomes so that CD gets the recognition and attention it probably warrants as a new GNR album. The first is CD comes out and GNR hits the road and tours behind it for 12 months or so with the new lineup in a fairly orthodox fashion. The album gets hyped, singles get released, people buy it etc and for 6 months or so the album gets attention. Problem is it aint that easy, even if CD gets the go ahead there's plenty of snags up ahead like replacing Robin, would Axl be happy touring CD with only one guy left who helped write any of the material? (Maybe he would). The second option is Bono's theory that CD will end up being Slash and co. rerecording the album and releasing it followed by a massive CD/reunion tour. If Axl wants CD to be remembered in any major way, those are the two only viable routes imo, if Robin's gone and I think he has there's possibly less standing in the way of a reunion version of CD than a new lineup version of CD.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I dont think there is anyway Slash and others will be involved in CD... Re-recording or playing those songs live. I just dont see it.

Ideal for me would have been to release CD, tour to promote it, then a couple years later the reunion to end all reunions!

NY Giants82 wrote:

I dont think there is anyway Slash and others will be involved in CD... Re-recording or playing those songs live. I just dont see it.

Agreed.   I couldn't see that in a million years.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't want a reunion?  Don't get me wrong, I think the UYI lineup(with Izzy) was the greatest incarnation of GN'R.  Adler's cool and all, but there is no way he could handle a real tour without getting all doped out and fucking up.  But I want to hear Chinese Democracy.  UYI 2 is my personal favorite, so I really dig the direction Axl has gone with CD.  I love VR and what Slash and Duff do, but I think Axl is really onto something here with the 6 or so songs we have heard.  Which brings us to a junction.  Why should/would Axl abandon his "new" band when CD is finally released and GN'R gets some modern attention?  As Axl said in 02, creating this band from scratch is something that takes some time, no one has ever really done that before.  It's an assumption that Slash, Duff, Izzy and Axl still have that chemistry needed to make great music.  Alot has changed in 10 years, and who knows what kind of stuff they'd make.   

Simply having a reunion so that some fans (I say some because there are still alot of supposed diehards he can't/won't shell out a few bucks to go see a band they supposedly love) can say "Wow, this is awesome.  It's just like 1993 again!"  Thanks, but no thanks.  I have plenty of boots and audio of those shows.  I'd only ever be ineterested in a reunion if they were going to make new music, and no one knows if they have the chemistry, let alone the civility and desire to get back together. 

How many people are pissed at Axl for his money grab in '06?  Yet the same people who bitched about the tour in '06 are willing to pissaway more money at what would be an obvious money grab.  We essentially got 3 albums from GN'R.  Most of which was made before they "made it."  As soon as they were truly in the spotlight, they imploded and gave us the Spaghetti Incident.  Yet somehow, some fans think this time around it would somehow be different. 

I'm a fan of Gn'R and will support the band in whatever form they exist.  I just think that the music Axl has made the past 8 years is worth a lil more than a push by some fans to time travel back to 1993.  And finally, if they were ever to reunite, knowing Izzy would never committ to a full tour, what makes you assume Axl would choose who the rhytm guitarist is?  Why couldn't Dave Kushner fill in the duties.  I'd find that just as likely if not moreso than anyone else as the chemistry and relationship he has the actual band.  Axl would always keep Dizzy and if need be, Pittman.

Believe it or not Randall, I totally agree with you.

A reunion would purely be for money, as I've said countless times. Who wants to see that? Guys playing songs we love, sure, but only to get our money, not because they really wanted to.

By the way, James. Azoff also put together the impossible in 1995 and got the Escape-era Journey together with Steve Perry singing. They went on to get a Grammy nod and debuted a CD at No. 2, right behind Van Halen's 1st Greatest Hits. It all derailed when Perry hurt his hip and couldn't tour.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't want a reunion?

No, I'm with you

Randall Flagg wrote:

I really dig the direction Axl has gone with CD.

Me too

Randall Flagg wrote:

I'd only ever be ineterested in a reunion if they were going to make new music

with you again

Randall Flagg wrote:

How many people are pissed at Axl for his money grab in '06?

a lot and i'd say the majority of these same people want a reunion (which would be most likely done for money and nothing else.)

Randall Flagg wrote:

I'm a fan of Gn'R and will support the band in whatever form they exist.

agreed. i certainly welcome a reunion if it brings more of the great music it brought in the nineties but so much time has already been wasted on nostalgia and without new music i fear a reunion would permanently make gnr another "has-been" nostalgia act, touring only to the die hards and then dissappearing for good. without new music gnr, in any form, will never be mainstream again.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Bono wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

The only time I want to see GNR is when the Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven get inducted to the HOF. Maybe they could pull off a tasteful set of something like SCOM, KOHD & PC. But, sadly, I don't think Axl & Steven are capable of rocking arenas anymore & would drag the Slash, Duff & Izzy show down.

I agree to a point. If Axl had the vocals to do it fine but he doesn't . I dont' know what it is but his mic levels are so embarasisngly low compared to all other artitsts I've seen live. Is it to hide something?  That in itself allows other artits to blow him off stage. It's ridiculous.  I know more than few people who will never pay to see Axl dance ever again after the 06 tour. You can't hear his voice consistently throughout the show and that's unprofessional.

are you guys kidding?

based on boots and live viewings i saw his voice gradually and steadily return to top form as the '06 tour went on.

axl experimented with not using rasp in '02 and i would guess it was to avoid permanent damage down the road or he was trying to establish a new identity as an artist. he proved he has a nice singing voice but when your songs stretch your vocal range as much as his do you have to use all the tricks not in the book to decorate and present the vocals and in his case that means using the rasp with the falsetto. the "helium" sound was the result of him singing without rasp.

in '02 axl's mic level was too high at the show i went to and you could barely hear the music and he certainly had more reason to hide his voice back then and yet he didn't. i could also hear him well in '06 in sync with the band. i am sure it depends on the venue and where you are sitting or standing at.

Board footer