You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

FlashFlood wrote:

wow havent seen you guys in a while. hey james nice forum.

instead of writing a 5 paragraph essay on the songs, i will keep it to one. the feeling that i get out of these songs is that they are on the track to greatness. that being said, they still have quite a ways to go for greatness. what i am getting at is that the basic framework is there, it just needs to be polished and tweaked until they reach their full potential (wow that sentence sounded like something axl must have been saying to himself for the past decade). i believe these are clearly demos, which gives me great hope for their final versions.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

GREAT to see you again Flash. Haven't seen you in a couple years. Always wondered what happened to you.

nugdafied wrote:

I find Axl to be the weakest link in alot of these songs. There's some parts where I like a piece of the music, but those are quickly ruined when the lyrics begin.

James

James wrote:

Flash, in my opinion these songs need no further "polishing and tweaking". They already suffer from that, and these songs are possibly 4 to 8 years old.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
A4L2.0 wrote:

I think all of whats happened in the last few days could well be a smokescreen....to get the world talking about GNR again. Velvet Revolver has no singer, and Guns N' Roses guitarists are leaving. Could a reunion be in talks within closed doors? I still think a reunion is more likely than the CD. Think of it....what songs is left for the album that we haven't heard? Where those leaks done deliberately by someone at the record label?  Maybe the main focus was on a reunion the whole time? I know some will call me crazy...but its my theory.

I could see it. I joked about this yesterday in the chatroom saying that maybe it was Axl himself who leaked these simply to get CD off his chest so the original lineup can start recording the follow up and planning the tour:haha: hey it cold happen.

Saddly I have to agree with Mikkamakka when it comes to the success of CD. I honestly think it's gonna tank big time. Critically and commercially.  Better is the only hope for a hit single based on what we've heard so far. One big problem with these songs is there is no cohesion within each individual song. Many people have voiced their concern over this  very issue. Another problem is if you play all 9 songs back to back to back they all sound like one long mess. The synthesizers are killing these songs. The stand out is Better cause it's catchy and sounds different. But seriously listen to TWAT and the Blues and then #2 and they all have the same vibe. And seriously at what point did Axl decide that guitar solos need to take place along side a sythesized symphony orchestra.  It's on every damn song.  Axl voice doesn't help cause it sounds redundent. Like he's singing the same song over and over again. I think it's cause he layers his voice too much so we're always hearing the same voice.  Like Mikkamakka also mentioned there really seems to be a total lack of solid ideas or focus. I'm well aware that there's a huge amount of ambition going on but ambition without a foundation really isn't a good thing. This might sound weird but I don't think it's good that we have such varying opinions on the songs. I mean some people hate #2, I personally think it's a top 3 CD era song. Too bad the drums suck on it. Some people like IRS I fucking hate it. Is it really such a  good thing when the opinions on a song vary to such degrees? I mean if a song was truely great wouldn't  we all agree? Who doesn't like Jungle? PC? SCOM? Nightrain? YCBM? Coma? You see what I'm getting at?  Here's how I rank the songs:

1. Better
2. Madagascar
4. Chinese Democracy
5. The Blues
6. If the World
7. TWAT
8. Riyadh and bedouins
9. IRS

I'll go on record right now and say I still very much think we'll see a reunion before this album is released and in my opinion the next official Gn'R album will feature Slash and Duff along side with Axl. It may not be called Chinese Democracy but it'll contain CD material. These latest leaks have done nothing to change my opinion on that.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
TheMole wrote:

I'll even go so far as to say something that will probably get me chastised: I think none of the nine leaks we have now (10 if you include CITR) match up to VR's Slither or even FTP & Messages. If this was a celebrity deathmatch, Slash&Duff have ripped Axl a new one.

I agree 100% on Slither. It trumps anything Axl's Gn'R has done in my opinion.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

James i know what you mean but i suppose what I am saying it needs to mesh better. i dont think the recordings do the parts justice, and i dont think axl's voice does them that much justice either.

that being said, wear axl appears to have the most trouble is in his middle octave. he has no trouble hitting the screeching high notes, and i would wager to say he does it as good as in his heyday. the low melody he sings on song number 2 (blur anyone?) is great as well. Everything in between these two octaves has no bite to it. I have no doubt that if these have been re-recorded, this problem is fixed, as evidenced by his voice on better and the live shows.

James

James wrote:

I understand various concerns over vocals, although his vocals dont bother me. As far as this music needing to mesh better, its impossible. There's a million different things going on in each song.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

The problem with comparing CD to GNR's Appetite stuff is that Appetite is once-in-a-lifetime stuff. I think the CD stuff comes close to UYI level. Some songs are better than UYI songs. I'd rather compare CD to current rock, and it's far and away better than most stuff out there. What's better? I'd take suggestions.

It sounds like we want CD to be like old GNR. It ain't gonna be. I like to see my artists evolve. Axl is doing that obviously.

Finally, to say that these any of these songs are not better than VR, I just don't see it. I've never been more disappointed with ANY music band/release/musicians than with VR. The core, you could say, of GNR with Weiland should have been the biggest thing in rock since original GNR, the melding of 80s rock's biggest and one of the biggest alterna-rock bands of the 90s. What'd we get? Shit. Most of us here have admitted that.  I enjoy Chinese Democracy, for one, and Madagascar better than any of the VR stuff.

James

James wrote:

These demos(all of them) shit all over VR in my opinion.

Its not even close.

Board footer