You are not logged in. Please register or login.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

supaplex wrote:

so... i'll throw in some ideas. and, just so you know, i know exactly what axl & co said about the album over the years.

now, onto the songs.

the 3 new demos. i think they're sub-par with everything else. they are a mess, all over the place. if the world would probably be a lot nicer if they only had that spanish guitar and a little less effects on it. the ideea is great but they played with it so much they ruined it.

i don't think riyadh is too different from the live version that has been around for years. yeah, you can hear all things more clearly because it's studio. that's it

they don't have anything that stands out, no guitar riff/solo that gets my hopes up it could be legendary and i'll listen to over 10 years and still be impressed. i don't know.

the rest of the songs

these sound more like proper songs that would go on an album, although i'm not sure about all of them.

anyways, i may be disappointed after the 3 songs we've got yesterday and that's why i'm negative. maybe they know these songs are weak and won't be on the album and that's why we got to hear them. maybe the album is closer (it always is but it feels nice to say it once every few months) and these are tracks not considered to be on it.

we have 10 demos and i'm still waiting for the "big guns" 19

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Then you'll be waiting forever. This is obviously "A list" material. I think the fanbase needs to embrace itself that this music wasn't as "innovative" or "earth shattering" like we were led to believe.

I love If the World and Riyadh though.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

great music. i love the stuff!

if the world sounds a little too NIN if you ask me, but it`s an ok song.

the songs are demos though...  axl`s voice is the last proof for that. i highly doubt they`ll use vocals he recorded in 1999 on the finished product. stuck inside is a good example of what he is capable of these days. if you ask me, the vocals are the weak link at times, but i`m convinced we`ll get to hear the axl we know and love once CD is released:thumbup:

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This is obviously "A list" material.

i don't think so...at least not in this format....these are clearly demos, so many sounds and layers in these songs which are pushed way back in the mix, thus not giving us a true impression of what is really going on...

i still believe that we are being given these purposefully by someone in the know....possibly because they are not A list material, or because in their final format, they are completely different to what we are hearing now...

this is all part of some bigger strategic move for this record, and thinking that Axl is being "screwed" with these leaks is a bit naive....

we haven't heard the final selection yet, and i dont think that we will either, until this album drops....

if the rumors about 70-odd hours of material are true, there will be lots of "spares" which just didn't make the cut, and why keep them when you can give it to die hards who will absorb it no matter how shit they may be...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Then you'll be waiting forever. This is obviously "A list" material.

I agree. I'm not really into "Riyadh" really..(yet..sometimes it takes a while for me)...but stuff like "The Blues" is clearly amongst the best stuff they'd have...as it sounds on par with previous works. I mean hell...one of them is the title track to the album. I don't see a problem with this stuff being the best either...i'd like another rocker or 2 for balance...but frankly I see this material as worthy of a professional release and a CD I'd buy and be happy with.

I mean if TWAT and The blues and Better were the crap tracks...how good would the good tracks have to be? It's an imossible standard that's being set. This is good stuff IMHO and we all know I'm a huge fan of slash and co...so I don't say it just to kiss axl's ass. But it really is good.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Elmir, we've heard some A list material. Do you think Axl's 3 favorite songs from the sessions are from the "B list"?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Axl probably said those were his fave songs because they were gonna play them.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the post in the Untitled song, either you will "get it" or you "don't".
These may be A-list material but they're not finished, especially Untitled sounds like a demo. And maybe a rather old demo too. I can't hear Buckethead on there. So before or after BH maybe.

These are musical pieces above what VR does or Motley Crue or any other rock band you might wanna compare GNR to. Axl is above all that and this is what we get. If you're a die hard rocker you won't be able to dig this because it doesn't sound like Appetite or Illusion. Which is the problem with the material too. Axl is making masterpieces for the wrong crowd of a fanbase. If he's gonna bring those people on for the ride, he have to take it VERY slowly because without warning, going from Jungle to If The World will be a culture crash.

I "get it" because I have been prepared for 8 years. I see most people here "get it" as well, if others do Im not so sure. Sorry to say.

elmir

elmir wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Elmir, we've heard some A list material. Do you think Axl's 3 favorite songs from the sessions are from the "B list"?

honestly?

yes, i do think so.....i also think that Axl said these things to "media vultures" on purpose, knowing the reaction from his comments...

he's playing games with them and us, because it is so easy to do so....

i'm not saying that these songs may not be featured on the final selection, but i do think that what we're hearing now is nowhere near the versions we will get to hear....

Axl is a very smart, very strategically oriented, cunning motherfucker.....he knows exactly what he is doing, and more importantly, he knows exactly what we want....as a matter of fact, i will bet you that he could predict our general reaction to all the leaks way in advance, down to the exact comments in some instances...

...i bet you he knew that someone would pick up the piano melody at the end of song2 as the new intro to November Rain....as he's played it often enough for it to sink into our heads....he is giving us, the "real" fans exactly what we want.....exactly....whilst still keeping us on a long enough leash not to get too comfortable with him and his tactics....

if he wanted to seriously impress us and the media and put himself out in the open for slaughter, he would have released fully mixed tracks, with real drums instead of a drum machine, with properly adjusted vocals and guitars.....and not these versions...

all i'm saying is that we shouldn't underestimate him just yet...and definitelly not judge the band and their musical skill based on what we're hearing.....so to all of those who are getting a "so-so" average feel out of these...have another careful listen....

the man is back....in a different format than what we're used to....but just as exciting....

there is more to come....and it will be just as bad ass as we want it to be....he knows....

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Then you'll be waiting forever. This is obviously "A list" material. I think the fanbase needs to embrace itself that this music wasn't as "innovative" or "earth shattering" like we were led to believe.

i said that, besides the 3 new demos, the rest are album material. but, the 3 from yesterday, i'm sorry but if that's on cd axl wasted all this time.

and there's the same theme in the majority of the songs. people didn't understand him and left him (slash, stephanie, etc.). it's in better, madagascar, the blues, there was a time, new song 2, if the world. people say it's just a rock album. well, i hope it's a rock album.

and for the people that compare this with velvet revolver, since when is velvet revolver the shit? or is it for the sole purpose of slash and duff versus axl? i think libertad sucked, and i don't think i'm in the minority here. velvet revolver sold based on the success of the bands that their members were in.

why do you keep comparing it to shitty bands? i, personally, wouldn't put more than 5 songs in my playlist next to appetite and uyi. that's my comparison. that is the test, and half these songs did not pass.

i notice you're getting more and more optimistic. even you james. to be honest i didn't expect it.
we've had the album promised so many times in so many years, everybody knows and i don't need to repeat myself. we've had leaks before, we've had tours and nothing happened. the album was finished so many times. still people believe everything.

elmir wrote:

Axl is a very smart, very strategically oriented, cunning motherfucker.....he knows exactly what he is doing, and more importantly, he knows exactly what we want....as a matter of fact, i will bet you that he could predict our general reaction to all the leaks way in advance, down to the exact comments in some instances...

that's why he can't get an album out. i want an album, i bet he knows that. i bet he was "in the know" for some time now.

"it doesn't sound like guns n' roses". then stop claiming it is.
"where's izzy?"
[/rant]

elmir

elmir wrote:
supaplex wrote:

that's why he can't get an album out. i want an album, i bet he knows that. i bet he was "in the know" for some time now.

"can't" and "won't" are two different intentions all together....lately, i have been leaning towards the "won't" side...

why not, i have no clue, but i genuinely think that he is purposefully stalling it for some or other reason....

Board footer