You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: A Random Forum Post about Finck

bigbri wrote:

So now that Robin is out, is BBF gonna redo some of his parts? LOL! BBF will be a one-man show!

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

When Axl found BH, I have to say that I also doubted the decision whether it was good or not....but it turned out pretty damn awesome....same with Finck, Fortus and BBF....I hated Tobias because of the whole Slash saga, but now I firmly believe that he was as important as some say that he was....

I like Finck...he is good....very good...I think he brought something to the table which only he could have done, and for that he should be commended...

On a side note, my favorite AFD song with the new band behind the helm is Brownstone, and I am pleased to have a Finck "biased" mix of it from one of the European shows in 2006....you can clearly hear him louder than the others, that's because the guy recording it had him on a more prominent setting....

Anyway, here it is, if you want, have a listen to it, I really think its great.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php? … acb5714b46

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

it's funny that this is thread is so popular now months after he left gnr
it's funny everyone either hates him or likes him

this is not neccessarily good though. your "lead" guitarist is supposed to be unanimously liked by your fanbase in a band like gnr.

my feelings are that i mostly like what he has done in the leaks but i don't salivate over his material like i did slash when appetite came out. his covering of the classics is innapproprite for a professional whether it is intentional or not. i am not a good enough guitar player to write some of the solos on appetite but i can play all of them, the way they were written, up to speed and I also am creative and write my own stuff yet he is a professional and i am not (i am working on it). 

the never ending debate: who's better?  a player, like robin, who can write material but can't cover it? or the opposite?

some people are creative like robin and can write their own material and do it well but are not technically skilled and cannot play a lot of styles and speeds. others are technically amazing but cannot write a song that keeps you interested enought to even finsh listening to it. to me you have to be both to be considered special. staying with gnr i would say that slash and bucket are diverse like that. the rest are not.  this is why i keep saying bring back one of them.

someone mentioned not too long ago that finck was brought in to lure slash back.  on the contrary the more common conception was that he was supposed to be his replacement. i don't know because i am not axl but they are very much different players.

nice post buzzsaw - had i not agreed with every word i still would have said this. when you talk like that (more accepting that we are dealing mostly with opinions) your own words hold more value.  welcome back.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Kudos for the lively discussion regarding this. This didn't descend into a Slash vs Finck debate like it would at most GNR sites. It was meant to address his style of playing and how it influences the old songs he is forced to play. You guys realize that and as usual bring your "A game".

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

He might have been much better in an Izzy role of writing the riffs and song structures and leaving the solos to others that could handle that style better than he can.

Thats a really good point. Unfortunately we'll never know because Axl wouldn't reverse the role even though he had a revolving door of musicians coming in.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James

James wrote:

Since Fortus is supposedly a God, it makes you wonder why he wasn't given Finck's role in the band.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
madagas wrote:

Personally, I just don't think he is a blues based rock guitarist and doesn't have that type of skill. He is a more industrial heavy riff guitar player. Slash wouldn't sound too good playing NIN stuff either. Both are talented at what they came up doing. CC, Robin definitely looks more comfortable in those NIN videos and he is kicking some ass. He just always looked awkward to me playing the AFD material.

I agree 100% with this. I don't mind Robin, I just think his attempt at bluesy/Henrixy guitar may not have been fit for him. It'd be like if Dean DeLeo of STP or Stone Gossard of PJ joined NIN. Great guitarists, but it'd probably sound attrocious. On a parallel analogy, if Kirk Hammit or Hetfield tried to play 3 chord punk, it'd probably seem a bit contrived.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Since Fortus is supposedly a God, it makes you wonder why he wasn't given Finck's role in the band.

Unfortunately, we don't know that this isn't going to happen and Huge (or yet another fill in) could fill his role.  All we know is that GnR can't (or at least won't since most of the new material is written for 3 guitars) hit the road in their current state.  How that is going to be resolved is very up in the air. 

I'm more interested in how they decide to resolve all the issues than I am in the album at this point...this has become very interesting over the past 6 months.  So many possibilities have been discussed and it's quite possible that none of them end up being the end result.  That's almost amazing.

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Unfortunately, we don't know that this isn't going to happen and Huge (or yet another fill in) could fill his role.

I was referring to prior lineups and why he wasn't moved down a spot since there were/are issues with his playing. Agreed that Fortus could fill his slot now that he's gone. Had he never left though, looks like Axl would have remained loyal til the bitter end.

As far as various "issues", I agree. There is so much potential and choices now and the planets are asking if they should align. Next few months will likely finally make or break this band.

They can only get so many big opportunities before they all run out.

Board footer