You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Your opinion on this remark from another poster at another forum

monkeychow wrote:

I don't agree with the bashing of the new songs as i've found a lot of them to be catchy as hell. I think songwise a few of them are really great songs. Maybe not as good as the best of the old stuff, but as good as the weaker tracks for sure and better than some.

But underneath the vitrol and agression I think Locomotive98 has some pretty valid points that I'd agree with. For me it comes down to what i've always said. If they want to play AFD and clasic GNR do it with the fucking outfit that made the records. If they want to go on about a new era and new styles and stuff...do it!! Do a CD tour that plays the CD tracks, release an album, and be a band on your own two feet.

I like BBF and co. But i want to see them do modern GNR songs not classics. I wanna see Slash do classics...

Anyway back OT....i think the OP was maybe just saying that this could turn into End of Days and "Oh My God" all over again...and I feel its a chance.

On one hand the fact this song comes from bucket could make it have one of the most killer and impressive solos and generally own eveyrhting around us and rip me a new fucking asshole. Then again...for every song of his i've heard like that he records 3 songs that are just wierd ass video game licks with killswitch applied...so it could be that with a few dischords from robin then a ton of synth and random disjointed axl stuff. Could easily turn into silkworms just as easy as it could turn into you could be mine!

Anyway for the record...I love most of Axl's new work...and like about 50% of the stuff bucket does...so so i think it could be totally awesome...but I don't think its imposible that it might turn out to be not our favourite track too.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Just echoing everyone else...

I hate to break it to everyone, but Harmonix doesn't need Axl Rose to sell Rock Band 2. Axl Rose needs Harmonix to sell Chinese Democracy.

And thats the end of that chapter..... (Probably in the wrong thread but its all relative)

For me, the more this ridiculous saga continues the more i feel it becomes less relevant. I've spent all day today listening to to Ride The Lightining by Metallica, an album not tarnished by shredders, freaks, 'punks', keyboardists, industrial hacks and a melting pot of incompatable components. Its just the pure essence of a band, 3/4's of which still exists today. I have come to the realisation that a mental crack smoking loon (Adler) encapsulates the spirit of GNR along with a guy (Slash), who , whilst slated almost to death, can play with his eyes closed a stupendously touching  and fucking brilliant 'Sweet Child' with an example of minor talent (Fucking Fergie ferchrissakes) and stlll be light years ahead of a bunch of wankers who want to live off someone elses' glories and play a shite Ep's worth of songs that have no cohesion, structure, or memorability whatsover......We are on a Guns N Roses site are we not? If you think that (Buckethead aside) that the 'band' you are wasting your time on is worth a wank in the wind then step back, put down the bong And go and listen to the following:

Appetite for Destruction
Lies
Use Your Illusion 1 & 2

Go on, do it, lend me your fucking ears and say that the crock of steaming bollocks that you have now represents the band that you have idolised and praised and made you a fan in the first place, the band that makes this site exist. Name any song off any of the above albums and match it with anything of the crap that is presented to you today, BE REALISTIC and laugh your nuts off. IRS? Against Nightrain! Madagascar againts Estranged? Better against You Could Be mine?! Ha, its funny as fuck. Christ, this shite detracts from everything that this band/name/ideal represented in the first place. I'm pissed off with it. HTGTH can cry all they like but a rendition of Sweet Child with a sucker of Satan's cock like Fergie walking all over 'Axl and Friends' that stomps all over the 'New' Band says it all to me. You could  stick Izzy and a Peruvian Pan pipes ensemble for a cover of Pretty Tied Up and see them walk all over the new band without any difficulty whatsoever.

Bolllocks to the lot of it, I'm out of here. I spend 10 years waiting to listen to some steamin pile like If The World and thats supposed to make me fall in love with the name GNR again?!!! They may as well change Michael Bolton's name to Guns N Roses and hope no one notices.

I've enjoyed this site and the great discussions and objective arguments and also the people here, but when i see a guy that left the band 14 years ago destroy a song that he hasnt played since 1993 it all becomes clear to me that no matter if you have Christ himself on guitar but theres no chemistry then its all pointless.

I'll see you at the reunion, or at a Bucket gig (as long as he doesnt play 'GNR') but until then, I'm out of here, I'll check out the MIA thread etc, but as far as Axl and his band of session muppets goes, theyre dead to me.

Take that one to heart.

BTW - I have drunk 12 pints and smoked more weed that Cheech himself. The truth comes out when one is trashed so dont take it personally. Thank you, good fucking night.

Furthermore, Shackler's revenge? Rockband 2? Says it all doesnt it.

Enjoy AFD, Lies & UYI.... while we will enjoy CD.

I'm not saying that to be an asshole, but like you said. This is Guns N' Roses today. It is what it is. And if you and others feel it's sacriledge, than that's what you feel...

I saw the current band, in 2006, and they were amazing. Technical ability aside (Slash > Robin / Buckethead > Bumblefoot), Robin & Ron were still awesome. Axl was still Axl. Richard & Tommy had great stage presence, Frank had a great Adler-esque groove to his drumming, something lost with Matt & Brain, Dizzy is a fantastic keyboard player... only Chris seeming to fade into the backdrop, not really standing out.

Either way they were awesome, and granted i've never seen the old band live, but i'm saying I got my first experience to be the new band - and they were great.

Would I like a reunion? I'd love a reunion, but the new band is awesome. And if you just ain't diggin' it, no offense, but don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on the way out. This is the band, take it or leave it. You leave it, I take it, alot of fans will be mixed the same, and the band will also gain new fans.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Btw, locomotive, bucket doesn't play any GNR at his shows. Doesn't need to. Enough without it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think these guys are fans to be honest bri.

I think they feel a passion in the music they've performed, and feel a duty to bridge the old fans, but none of these guys I think were massive fans of the original band, Bucket included.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Fully agree with you Axlin08.  Sure, they've all heard GNR in the past before and may like their songs, but i don't really feel any of them were full blown fans. 

But that's what Axl needed to make this work.  Someone who's going to be able to step up without themselves feeling the prescence of Slash missed while performing.  People who can get on stage and do their own thing without worrying too much about the old band.  If he had brought in GNR fans, that would be an entirely different story.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

Whoops, sorry for that ridiculous rant above. I feel pretty bad for going off like that. What an idiot. Sorry guys. :wtf:

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Whoops, sorry for that ridiculous rant above. I feel pretty bad for going off like that. What an idiot. Sorry guys. :wtf:

That was a good rant, and I agree with the most of you wrote. I think out of the new songs, TWAT is the only real stand-out track. It's on the same level with the huge GN'R songs (for me). The others... well, I'm really disappointed. Some could have been a good song or a filler on a GN'R album (I mean the quality, not the style, since they're mostly different), but If The World and the others are like Just Another Sunday II, with more work on it. It doesn't make them listenable though. Throwaway songs that were kept and been worked, but should have never been heard.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't think these guys are fans to be honest bri.

I think they feel a passion in the music they've performed, and feel a duty to bridge the old fans, but none of these guys I think were massive fans of the original band, Bucket included.

Thats pretty much an established fact. What makes it mildly amusing is they are forced to live in the past, which makes Axl selection process(seeking out non GNR fans) really bizarre.

Axl: You're an amazing guitarist. Glad to have you onboard. You didn't like AFD? Oh well, you're gonna be playing it for 10 years.

Never made any sense.

Locomotive98: Everyone reaches a "breaking point". Some of you might remember at the old site when I went almost two months without posting in the main GNR section. Didn't start posting in the section again until the whole gnrsucks/dark/MSL thing took off.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Locomotive98: Everyone reaches a "breaking point". Some of you might remember at the old site when I went almost two months without posting in the main GNR section. Didn't start posting in the section again until the whole gnrsucks/dark/MSL thing took off.

Glad you understand and its nice to have the freedom to post such opinions, even if in the cold light of day the couldve been worded a little more sensibly. I'm not gonna bail on this site as its the only one that I can actually bear to read without become enraged! Being a fan is such a damn frustration sometimes. I'll leave it at that.

Cheers

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Glad you understand and its nice to have the freedom to post such opinions, even if in the cold light of day the couldve been worded a little more sensibly. I'm not gonna bail on this site as its the only one that I can actually bear to read without become enraged! Being a fan is such a damn frustration sometimes. I'll leave it at that.

Cheers

Locomotive98, first off I'd like to commend you on your grammar, spelling, and the like.  You did an amazing job with that post considering you had drank and smoked so much.

And echoing James, the frustration is understandable, it's nothing new.  I think we all have our moments where we throw up our hands and say "I give up".  But most of us don't really mean it.  We're like the battered girlfriend who keeps coming back to get beatdown over and over again.

I'm frustrated that it's taken this long.  I mean it is ridiculous when you really stop and think.  But I love the new material and can't wait till it's released.  But as Tom Petty says, "the waiting is the hardest part".

Board footer