You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Re: Man Beheaded on Greyhound Bus

Backslash wrote:

Man, people are SICK.  Travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg is enough to drive anyone crazy, but no one should have to resort to this.  18

Thu, July 31, 2008

RCMP says 'major incident' took place on bus from Edmonton to Winnipeg

PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Man. '” A man was stabbed to death then beheaded on a Greyhound bus in an apparent random act of violence, according to an eyewitness.

All lanes of traffic on the Trans-Canada Highway remained closed Thursday morning west of Portage la Prairie as the RCMP investigated what they would only refer to as "a major incident" on the bus that was headed from Edmonton to Winnipeg.

At about 8:45 p.m. the vehicle was stopped in the eastbound lane following an apparent assault.

Garnet Caton, one of 37 passengers on the bus, said he witnessed the attack.

"We all heard this scream, this like blood-curdling scream," Caton told CBC Newsworld.

He alleged the suspect had a "large hunting knife" and repeatedly stabbed the victim "like 50 or 60 times."

"The attacker was calmy over top of the victim continually cutting him. I think the victim was gone at that point," Caton told the CBC.

He said the victim appeared to be sleeping before the attack and the suspect was not acting out of the ordinary.

The bus was evacuated, but Caton said he was one of a handful of witnesses who saw the suspect allegedly trying to behead the body.

The suspect later appeared at the front of the bus, he said.

"He calmly walked up to the front (of the bus) with (the victim's) head in his hand and the knife and then dropped the head in front of us," Caton said, adding he believes the suspect later returned to the back of the bus and was seen later "taunting police with the head in his hand out the window."

Caton said the suspect appeared calm.

"What struck me, it was like he was at the beach or something," he said.

The incident took place about 20 kilometres west of Portage.

A Sun Media reporter on the scene reported about three dozen people from the bus were standing outside the vehicle on the highway following the incident.

A female passenger said she heard screams and heard "there was a stabbing."

"They told us to get off the bus," said the woman who did not provide her name.

Another woman at the scene said the passengers were being evacuated from one bus and loaded onto another waiting Greyhound bus.

At one point, Mounties surrounded the bus with one officer standing just a few feet away from an unidentified man sitting in the driver's seat.

A man was taken into custody after the standoff with police.

Portage RCMP Const. Dave Higgs, who was on the scene, reported "there was a major incident on the bus," and did not provide any other details.

"I can confirm there was an incident on one of our buses,"Abby Wambaugh, media relations spokeswoman for Greyhound Canada, said late Wednesday night.

Wambaugh said a management team would be waiting in Brandon to meet the passengers when they arrived "to take care of any needs they may have," including accommodation, transfers to other buses or even trauma counselling, if necessary. '” With files from Canadian Press

Source: http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/ … 17416.html

Backslash

Backslash wrote:

Here's another, more detailed article from http://www.canada.com/topics/news/natio … 563d16ec9f :

Man stabbed, beheaded on Manitoba bus

'I don't think the guy knew him at all . . . the poor guy, he didn't see it coming'

Gabrielle Giroday and Ian Hitchen ,  Winnipeg Free Press and Brandon Sun

Published: Thursday, July 31, 2008

BRANDON, Man. - Thirty-six passengers of a Greyhound bus travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg Wednesday night watched in horror as a fellow passenger reportedly stabbed another man sleeping next to him, eventually decapitating him and waving the man's severed head.

"He didn't do anything to provoke the guy. The guy just took a knife out and stabbed him, started stabbing him like crazy and cut his head off," said Garnet Caton, 36, a passenger.

The bus made an emergency stop, and passengers fled in terror onto the Trans-Canada Highway while the bus's driver and a driver of a nearby truck shut the crazed man inside the bus with the victim. Passengers say they stood outside the bus and watched through the window, horrified, as the man disfigured the victim's body.

By 10:30 p.m., the eastbound bus was stopped on the highway about 10 kilometres east of Portage la Prairie, Man., surrounded by RCMP cruisers. An RCMP spokesman confirmed on scene a major incident had occurred, but would not elaborate.

Caton and others said once they escaped the bus, they prevented the attacker from getting off the bus by threatening him with makeshift weapons - a hammer and a metal bar.

"We were telling him, 'Stay put, stay put, stay there, don't try to come out.' He tried to get the bus working and the bus driver disabled the bus somehow in the back, I'm not sure how he did it, and at that point, I think the police showed up," he said, adding officers rushed them away.

"Some people were puking, some people were crying, other people were in shock . . . everybody was running, screaming off the bus."

Caton described the man who attacked the passenger as about six feet tall, 200 pounds, with a bald head and wearing sunglasses. He seemed oblivious to others when the stabbing occurred, said Caton.

Caton said he was struck by how calm the man was. He just walked up to the front of the bus and dropped the head, Caton said.

Caton said the victim boarded in Edmonton, was Aboriginal in appearance, and was wearing hip-hop clothing, and appeared to be a young man around 20 years of age.

"When we saw the head, we knew he was dead," he said. "I don't think the guy knew him at all. I think he was really crazy ... the poor guy, he didn't see it coming."

Two yellow school buses were brought in to the closed-off stretch of highway for passengers to sit in while the standoff between officers and the man inside the bus proceeded for hours.

The passengers were later taken to Brandon to be interviewed by police and to stay overnight at a hotel there.

Crisis counsellors were also at the hotel to provide support to the passengers, and counsellors could be seen chatting with them outside the hotel as groups went out to local stores for snacks or to smoke cigarettes.

One small boy, who was with an adult man and woman, was given a plush teddy bear by a crisis health worker.

Another young man from Nova Scotia sat outside the Brandon hotel smoking around 3 a.m. Visibly shaken, he said RCMP had taken 36 witnesses in for questioning into a detachment approximately 100 kilometres east. He said later: "I felt bad that all the young people and old people had to see that."

The man, who did not want his name used, said the victim of the stabbing had been sleeping before the attack.

Other passengers said that the two men were sitting in the rear of the bus and the stabbing victim was listening to music through his headphones. The men were both sitting in the back of the bus, and the attack appeared to be unprovoked.

"The first thing I heard was something like a terrible type (of) yowl and that was from the guy who got stabbed," said an elderly woman on the bus, from Winnipeg.

The woman and her adult daughter said they were three or four rows in front of the suspect when the attack began.

"(My daughter said) 'Oh my God' and everybody else started screaming," she said. "They had terror in their eyes."

Passengers said there was a rush of people toward the front of the bus to get off.

A truck driver who saw the ruckus then jumped to the rescue as he and the driver tried to disable the vehicle and keep the man from exiting, as law enforcement officers rushed to the scene, the standoff began. An RCMP spokesman could not be reached to confirm the precise time the man was taken into custody or further details.

Two other passengers on the bus, a 22-year-old man and 21-year-old woman, from France, said they were heading to Winnipeg after visiting the woman's father in Whitehorse. The 22-year-old man said in French that he saw a man holding a long knife repeatedly stab another passenger. He and his girlfriend said they were shocked by the attack, and the isolation in the middle of the prairies when it occurred.

"There was nowhere to go," she said.

Manitoba RCMP Const. Dave Higgs confirmed Wednesday that there was a major incident on the bus - which was en route to Winnipeg from Edmonton - but he would not provide details. He would not give any further details.

Abby Wambaugh, a Greyhound spokeswoman in Dallas, Tex., confirmed this morning that there was an incident, but would not describe what exactly happened.

"There was an incident on board one of our buses, but I don't want to compromise the investigation," she told Canwest News Service. "Specific details would need to be confirmed by the police and we're co-operating with them."

With files from Canwest News Service

© Winnipeg Free Press and Brandon Sun 2008

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

man that is fucked up

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Those Canadians have lost their heads.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Jesus Christ. Did he suffer from some variation of cabin fever?:laugh:

Seriously though, I'm actually surprised more incidents don't happen on these long bus trips. I've rode Greyhound twice in my life, and neither trip was fun. There was an incident on the bus trip I took to Missouri in 93. Some douche bag was drunk and was hitting on a woman he didn't know. Bus driver stopped the bus in the middle of nowhere in the Texas panhandle and left the guy there. He said it was policy. You fuck around on Greyhound and the driver has the right to throw you off anywhere.

"When we saw the head, we knew he was dead"

Really??

Backslash

Backslash wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

"When we saw the head, we knew he was dead"

Really??

The guy who said that was obviously from Winnipeg... 16

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

A person on another forum (she's canadian too) said there were reports of the guy eating flesh as well.  That's disgusting. 

This guy should be killed.  Period.

Backslash

Backslash wrote:
Saikin wrote:

A person on another forum (she's canadian too) said there were reports of the guy eating flesh as well.  That's disgusting. 

This guy should be killed.  Period.

Yeah, I read that, but I don't think anyone confirmed those reports.  That's something that surfaced in an African newspaper.  In any event, there's news that the 36 other people on the bus evacuated immediately, which is crazy.  The maniac tried to leave the bus, but they fought him back on using makeshift weapons (hammers and crowbars).  My thought is that they should've used the bloody crowbar on him to stop him from stabbing the guy once they realized what was going on.  Instead, 36 people did nothing while a man dismembered another.

Board footer