You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Robin's Site

Sky Dog wrote:

Sic, not to be an ass or to quibble, but technically, the Axl Rose solo era started on May 1st 1998 when Slash and Duff were formally considered leaving members of the recording agreement of '92 and were relieved of all costs in relation to the next Gnr album.

"Since 1992, the parties have executed various amendments to the Recording Agreement, including most notably, two amendments dated as of May 1, 1998. One of these amendments, see Froeling Decl. Ex. D, confirmed Slash's and Duff's departure from the band and their status as 'Leaving Members' under the 1992 Recording Agreement, thereby relieving them of charges against their royalty accounts for the enormous recording costs and other expenses being incurred by Axl Rose (the only 'Remaining Member'[FN1] of Guns N' Roses) in connection with the recording of the new Guns N' Roses studio album. Hoffman Decl. ¶ 3. Slash and Duff, like Stradlin and Adler before them, retained a royalty interest in masters created under the Recording Agreement prior to their departure from the band. Id In the other May 1, 1998 amendment, see Hoffman Decl. Ex. A, Axl Rose agreed, among other things, to deliver that new studio LP (which was even then long overdue under the Recording Agreement) no later than March 1, 1999 and received a substantial advance from Geffen in return. Hence, although other individuals have joined Axl Rose in performing under the name 'Guns N' Roses' since 1998, Rose is the only principal in the band. Id.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

From the record company perspective, it is so. Which is a bit amusing, since Slash and Duff were first extricated from the partnership, then resigned from the band and only then were their names wiped clean from the record deal.

But they were Axl's employees from 1996 onwards, just like everyone else. They didn't have a vote on the band issues anymore, yet they would've still been entitled to royalties on any master recordings delivered to Geffen. So that's the fun part: From Geffen's perspective, nothing changed in between 12/31/95 and 05/01/98. But internally, Slash and Duff had already been stripped of the power they'd wielded over the daily matters of GNR.

Which leads to the assumption that, apparently, had Axl turned in a new album in early '98 - after both Slash and Duff had left - all three would've earned royalties as members of the GNR partnership even if only one of them had contributed as a recording artist!

Sky Dog wrote:

I was gonna say something to that effect at the end but was too lazy to do it. 14 Technically, it was '98 but operationally Axl had taken firm control in the '95-'96 timeframe and you could possibly push that back to Nov 91 when Izzy left.

sic.

sic. wrote:

If pushed, I'd say Axl took over as early as in 1990, when the band recorded the basic tracks for the Illusions and it took a year for Axl to program horn sections to November Rain and record the lyrics. He basically had everyone else by the balls - and everyone else was between a rock and a hard place when Geffen came around asking for an album. What could they say, other than that their work was done?

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
sic. wrote:

Nothing wrong with contract players

everything is wrong with it if the "contractor" himself refuses to admit to that as a fact....instead letting his "employees" lash out at the fan base every now and again for stating the obvious....

we all know that they are contractors....they have hired them as contractors...but you will get your ass whipped if you refer to them as contractors anywhere else other than this board...

only time Axl refers to his guys as employees or contractors is when he's pissed with them and issues some or other rebuttal when they bail on him...bad HR management, i tell you....:laugh:

sic.

sic. wrote:

They're proud employees of the AxlCorp, and are referred to as 'members of family/band' by default for the duration of their contract. It's in the job description.

Surely you received the memo?

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
ereeper wrote:

Let the BH returning rumours continue...

If Science Faxtion is really happening, he isn't coming back either.

Like with Robin, why stop touring and releasing albums just so you can sit around and do nothing. Being in GNR is like being on welfare.

The smartest person in this whole ordeal was Buckethead. You know the freak. Eventually Brain & Robin saw the light too.

The smartest person was probably Freese. He saw the light before there was a light to see.:haha:

I wa about to say Slash is the smartest person, but then i remembered what he's done since GNR and it wasn't so smart of a choice.

I don't think Robin is coming back.  He'll be on CD (if it's coming this year), but he's not coming back.  He can make a lot of money and have a lot of fun touring with NIN.  He'll be active.  That's something most normal musicians like to do.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I can relate.  If I had a bunch of talent, I wouldn't want to just waste a decade of my prime away.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
sic. wrote:

Surely you received the memo?

i wasn't online when it leaked....must have happened when i was frantically trying to help them locate that missing motorbike...

sic.

sic. wrote:

elmir,

Best you hear from me. That motorcycle was stolen by mistake.

It was a several years old model and the tuning was unfinished anyway. Now some poor sap is riding around with it figuring he's getting the entire GNRiding experience. Au contraire, mon frere! No APB was ever sent out to the radio stations nor were the proper law enforcement agencies contacted. Axl's pretty pissed, because he's worked day and night on them bikes with his empl... er, band of handymen, and wants them to be stolen the right way.

Board footer