You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Momentum grows for Putin third term

James wrote:

Calls for Vladimir Putin to remain Russian president beyond next year gained momentum on Friday night after a senior lawmaker said there were legal means for him to continue in office and rallies took place in several Russian cities urging him to stay.

Sergei Mironov, speaker of Russia's upper house, said the issue of a third term for Mr Putin had 'not been taken off the agenda' in spite of a constitutional bar on presidents serving more than two consecutive terms.

Mr Putin himself, speaking after an EU-Russia summit in Portugal, reiterated that he had no plans to change the constitution to allow him to stay after his second term ends in March.

However, Mr Mironov said he was examining legal methods that would allow Mr Putin to remain without breaching the constitution.

'In my view, Mr Putin legitimately remaining in his post would be a blessing for Russia,' Mr Mironov said.

'Spontaneous rallies are going on in the country with calls for Vladimir Putin to stay in his post and we as legislators . . . should think how we can legitimately ­submit this issue at least for examination by the ­president.'

At least five cities staged rallies this week calling for the president to stay on, with more reportedly planning to do so and several regional legislatures planning to issue similar calls. Volgograd in the south and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in the far east organised meetings on Tuesday.

A day later, the Chechen capital Grozny held a 20,000-strong rally and two smaller Chechen towns held similar meetings.

Kommersant newspaper reported that 10,000 rallied in Tver, north-west of Moscow, calling for the 'continuation of Vladimir Putin's policy, the policy of national success and national pride'.

The Russian government newspaper last week published a letter claiming to represent 65,000 Russian artists, which pleaded for Mr Putin to remain in office.

Mr Putin told this month's congress of the pro-Kremlin United Russia party that he would head its ticket in December parliamentary elections. It was 'entirely realistic' he might become prime minister next year.

The remarks were seen as signalling he would step down as president but remain an important political figure.

The president on Friday deepened the mystery surrounding his intentions by saying he had no plans to change the constitution. 'As to my future job, I haven't decided yet in what capacity I will work. I don't think there is a need to change the structure of authority in Russia,' he said.

'The capacity of the Russian presidency will remain as it is, if it depends on me.'

Repeating earlier promises that his second presidential term would be his last, he said: 'I'm not going to change the constitution to serve my own needs. In accordance with the law, I will not run for the presidency for a third term.'

His remarks appeared to play down one possible ­scenario under which Mr Putin would swap the presidency for the prime ministership and then increase the premier's powers.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Interesting... hmm

Without sounding TOO conspiracy theory oriented, can anyone sort of speculate on what this could mean?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A 3rd Putin term would make sure the world doesn't descend into total chaos. I'm not joking. He plays a huge role in keeping the US in check, and also keeps China from as much influence they would have if Putin hadn't saved Russia from its economic abyss.

If Putin had never been president, the US would be fighting in about 5 or 6 different countries instead of two. Thats no lie. He is the only reason we are not fighting in Kosovo right now. He will be willing to go to war with us to keep us out of that region. We have minimal troops in the area, but he will never allow a conflict in the Balkans like what we did in the 90's.

Another way he keeps us in check is by all the energy deals Russia is making with a bunch of Euro and Asian countries. Not only does it help Russia, it helps many currencies, specifically the Euro. The longer the Euro remains the strongest currency, the easier it will be for the US to collapse into what the Soviets turned into in the 90's: Basically a third world country with a massive nuclear arsenal and a currency not worth the paper its printed on. The ONLY reason the dollar hasn't collapsed yet is the fact so many countries have tons of dollars in their reserves. If China, Saudi Arabia, Japan, or another country dumped the dollar, we would sink into a depression in the blink of an eye. As the dollar loses value each day, the chances of a mass dumping increase dramatically. Next time you go to the store, notice how each item went up a few cents since the last time you went to the store. Its not prices going up, its the dollar losing its value.

Putin is the only leader on the global stage who can prevent WWIII from happening, and if not, put a quick and decisive end to it.

Board footer