You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: **Kevin Cogill Who Leaked 9 GnR Songs Arrested Today**

sic. wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I really hope Reznor comments on this fiasco. Its so absurd that I cant imagine him keeping his mouth shut for long.

Don't worry James,

Reznor will eventually comment. It's too much dead-set against his principles and current modus operandi, not to mention it'll allow him to poke fun on Axl again.

While I may understand the reason behind GNR and/or Universal taking this stance over the leaks, I fear they're embarrassingly late. The original leaks have been out for over two years - if they'd wanted to make a stand, they could've. Perhaps nothing to warrant an arrest, but the Feds could've dug out enough people involved and spook them to set an example; MSL, dark and the rest could've been met with a similar questioning than what Skrewl recently had. They'd probably lacked any incriminating evidence, but the leakers would've known even then that this sort of shit doesn't go down unnoticed.

But now they're just gunning for Skrewl, who's the easiest target of them all, and I seriously doubt he'll eventually face jail-time. While Jarmo and his, erm, members tout him as a criminal, let's face it: as mp3 copies of officially released material in general are concerned illegal, how many of us would get away clean from an inspection?

Whichever way you twist it, the music industry has just received a new poster boy from Axl, who joins them in their incredibly naive and misguided attitude towards the digital realm and the consumers who reside within.

No wonder if they're going Wal-Mart.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
chicken_dinner wrote:

Kevin Cogill, 27, is accused of posting the songs, which were being prepared for commercial release

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

I agree Russ....this could be Uni's doing.

What I find funny about that statement is Axl is "King Lou" regarding everything, until something that's a huge negative happens. Then he is just a lowly servant with no say in anything.

That dog wont hunt. Axl owns the rights to this crap, but you think he has no say in triggers being pulled?

HAHAHAHAHA!

James

James wrote:
sic. wrote:

While I may understand the reason behind GNR and/or Universal taking this stance over the leaks, I fear they're embarrassingly late. The original leaks have been out for over two years - if they'd wanted to make a stand, they could've. Perhaps nothing to warrant an arrest, but the Feds could've dug out enough people involved and spook them to set an example; MSL, dark and the rest could've been met with a similar questioning than what Skrewl recently had. They'd probably lacked any incriminating evidence, but the leakers would've known even then that this sort of shit doesn't go down unnoticed.

That would require the trail potentially leading to Fernando and Beta. The propaganda machine wont allow that, so MSL is in the clear.

Whichever way you twist it, the music industry has just received a new poster boy from Axl, who joins them in their incredibly naive and misguided attitude towards the digital realm and the consumers who reside within.

1996 vs 2008

new GNR the sacrificial lamb.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, I know...they are all guilty...everyone who is involved in this debacle is knee deep. I am not letting Axl off the hook....I just think he has some big muscle behind this decision.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Say goodbye to anymore leaks from CD.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That would require the trail potentially leading to Fernando and Beta. The propaganda machine wont allow that, so MSL is in the clear.

This is something I'd call Shackler's Revenge! lol

After this one, I'll have to consider whether I'd accept a physical copy of CD even as a supplementary item for my Dr Pepper.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

I definitely think it was more the doing of Universal and/or Azoff than it was Axl's, but I am sure he supports what is going on.

Just my speculation, but it is possibly those leaks impacted their negotiations because maybe Best Buy and Walmart weren't willing to pay as much for songs that are widely available on the net.

One thing to keep in mind is that Skwerl isn't your average fan like those of us posting on forums. He was an employee of Universal at one point and I believe this was a leak coming from someone in the industry. That might have pissed them off more than anything.

That being said I am definitely not behind this prosecution and I find it laughable that there are fans out there calling him a criminal when no doubt they enjoyed the leaks he brought to them.

Sky Dog wrote:

if it affects negotiations with Best Buy and Walmart, you are literally talking about millions of dollars at stake. I'm torn on this one and see both sides of the coin, both fan and band/label.

James

James wrote:

I want to know why the convenient excuse for GNR is "leaks delay the album".

Can someone name me one album that leaked where the leak didn't speed up the release?

Pretty please....with a cherry on top.

Board footer