You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: New GNR vs old GNR/ GNR vs Velvet Revolver thread

buzzsaw wrote:

But where do you think every thread is going to go?  As soon as someone doesn't like something and says something about it, they get accused of living in the 90s or loving Slash like that's some sort of crime at a GnR site.  Once that happens, they defend themselves, which includes a why they don't like something about the new band.  It's never going to stop...it's only going to get worse, and telling people they can't discuss it other than in this thread is not a solution.  Nobody wants to make a great point where nobody will see it.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Why don't the defenders of the new band ever address the real issues with the songs instead of making some up?

Is that a joke? People at this site have had plenty of criticisms regarding these tracks for years.

That isn't what I asked.  Read the question again.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

But where do you think every thread is going to go?  As soon as someone doesn't like something and says something about it, they get accused of living in the 90s or loving Slash like that's some sort of crime at a GnR site.  Once that happens, they defend themselves, which includes a why they don't like something about the new band.  It's never going to stop...it's only going to get worse, and telling people they can't discuss it other than in this thread is not a solution.  Nobody wants to make a great point where nobody will see it.

you're probably right...we'll deal with each case on an individual basis...we definately need help from our longtime members to stear people from that course of action 5

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Unfortunately, some of the longtime members and management team are just as guilty as everybody else.  We're all here because we love something about GnR.  We're very passionate about the music we love.  We have to accept the downside (these arguments) that comes with all the positive things about the site.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah there is no doubt that i am as guitly as anyone by getting involved in this argument again and again...but if someone makes a ridiculous claim about Slash i'm gonna retort...and as soon as slash is brought up then the floodgates open... 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Nobody wants to make a great point where nobody will see it.

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner! I was hoping someone would say that without me needing to bring it up. Now we can get to the real reason why the new vs old debate has plagued Chinese Democracy sections for years.

The assumption that someone isn't smart enough to click a section thats about 2 inches from the CD section is ludicrous. You think no one will see it? How do you know if you never try and make those points in the proper section?

The TWAT and VR sections are not meaningless window dressing. Those sections are there for people to use. Yes I realize the main section is the site's most popular, but that just shows you what people are interested in the most here. If you start a thread in TWAT regarding some aspect of the old band, those interested will read the thread. Period.

I have seriously considered removing the VR section because no one uses it and the only time people want to talk about VR is in the GNR section when something CD related happens. If VR fans refuse to post in a VR section, the section is worthless.

You're missing the whole point. No one has any issues with wallowing in the past. Just don't do it in a new thread related to Chinese Democracy news.

That isn't what I asked.  Read the question again.

Don't be a smart ass.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

It's not that simple James.  The discussions in the "CD" section start as CD discussions and migrate into more than that.  It's natural.  I know I NEVER have gone into a thread in that section with the intention of bringing up the old band and while I may respond to comments others make, you'd be hard pressed to find a time where I started the discussion down that path.  I don't start those discussions, but if I have something to say, I'm going to say it.

So now I'm in the "CD" section and I have a response to what someone said.  I'm supposed to take that response and make it in another thread in another part of the forum even though it's completely relevant to the discussion currently taking place in the "CD" thread?  Think this through...this is not the solution.  It didn't work at the other site and it isn't going to work here.  Don't tell me I didn't try it - I probably had the most posts in that thread in the old forum, and not because they were moved there.

As for the smart ass comment - I wasn't any more of a smart ass with my response than you were with your answer.  I want to know why the defenders of the new band would rather attack people for prefering the old band than make valid points about the concerns that people have about the new music.  I'd say that's a completely fair question.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

One of my main complaints in the political thread was people bitching about the was things are, but not doing anything to change the situation.  That being the case, I'll offer what I believe is a better solution to you:

Eliminate the VR area and add it to the Former GnR section.  Create a sub board to the former GnR area.  Allow topics in the main area to go wherever they go naturally.  When the discussion is over, have one of the staff take the entire thread and copy it to the sub board.  Have them then eliminate all posts not related to the original subject and leave that thread in the main section.  If people want to carry on the conversation, the whole thread is still there to do so on the sub board (once the main discussion has died off).  If people want to just read the stuff related to CD, it's in the CD section.  If a new "off topic" discussion picks up in the thread left in the main section, let it happen and repeat the process once it's completed. 

Yes, this will create more work for the staff.  "Hire" more staff if you think that's necessary.  I believe it will ultimately be less work than trying (in vain) to stop threads from heading in the direction that they will naturally end up going.  Think of it like a river.  You can move it, but ultimately the water is going to go where it wants to go.  It's too powerful. 

I don't know if it's logistically possible from a technology perspective, but I'm offering a solution.  If the technology won't allow it, let me know and I'll come up with another solution.  There has to be a better way than this.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Thats a bit unfair. I hate Prostitute. I certainly don't live in the past. Someone having issues with the music isn't a big deal. Its when threads related to Chinese Democracy get massively hijacked with old band discussion that its going too far. If someone thinks the old band is better and that's their main contribution to a Chinese Democracy thread, then a wise thing to do would be saying that in the section aimed at the old band. Same goes with VR.

Discussion doesn't get stifled or censored here. It would just be best for all members here if these discussions can go in the proper place.

Lets say you take a month long vacation and there's a leak when you get back. When you come here to see what leaked, are you gonna be happy if instead of the info you are looking for you see people saying how great Slash was in 1991?

Well I don't mean to imply this site censors anyone because I believe this site in the best site for intelligent GNR discussion on the net.

I just mean it seems there is always a small handful of fans that react negatively to anyone who isn't really enthusiastic about the new material which I think is unfair. In this debate we had fans telling others that they are actually being dishonest with their feelings and simply dislike it because it doesn't feature Slash on it. I just thought that was ridiculous.

I agree if someone is just here to bash the band then that doesn't have a place here, but like I said it is only natural for the fans to compare the old vs the new. It's what fans do. It would happen even if the original band recorded CD. I agree if someone is just going to talk about how good Slash was almost 20 years ago that is a  silly, but I don't see the offense if someone is saying they don't feel the material is on par with the classics. I'm sure when the album is released people will want to rank the albums to see how it stacks up against the other albums. Like I said that's what fans do. I'm a big Oasis fan and I know one of the very first discussions with each new release is how the new album stacks up against the previous releases.

Board footer