You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Ill. student gets detention for hugging

MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter. The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I feel it is crazy," said Megan, who was to serve her second detention Tuesday after classes at Mascoutah Middle School.

"I was just giving them a hug goodbye for the weekend," she said.

Megan's mother, Melissa Coulter, said the embraces weren't even real hugs '” just an arm around the shoulder and slight squeeze.

"It's hilarious to the point of ridicule," Coulter said. "I'm still dumbfounded that she's having to do this."

District Superintendent Sam McGowen said that he thinks the penalty is fair and that administrators in the school east of St. Louis were following policy in the student handbook.

It states: "Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved."

Coulter said she and her husband told their daughter to go ahead and serve her detentions because the only other option was a day of suspension for each skipped detention.

"We don't agree with it, but I certainly don't want her to get in more trouble," Coulter said.

The couple plan to attend the next school board meeting to ask board members to consider rewording the policy or be more specific in what is considered a display of affection.

"I'm just hoping the school board will open their eyes and just realize that maybe they shouldn't be punishing us for hugs," Megan said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071106/ap_ … _hugging_2

Now this is a little rediculous.  I can totally understand what the school is trying to do and I would go for it for kissing and hanging on each other, making out, etc but hugging, come on.  My 4 year old hugs his friends in school.

I read this article and started to hear in my head, if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding, how can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat....LOL

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hugging? Its not like she's fucking them.

Seriously...look at what the school says: "It is in poor taste". People just spout these PC lines without actually thinking about what they mean. Why is it in poor taste to display affection to someone or hug them?

Its ok for everyone to be angry all the time apparently.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Same thing happened at my middle school, you weren't allowed to hug, and kissing was definently off limits! 

It's really pathetic.  It shouldn't be in poor taste to show someone you care.  When you get detention for comforting a friend, now that is complete bullshit. 

These people need to pull their heads out of their asses.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They'll give her free condoms and birth control pills, but a detention for hugging?

This country needs to wake the fuck up.

Did I post this twice??  scratchhead.gif

There are 2 threads

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Maybe one for the reunion fans and one for the new gnr fans? (jk)

I think I am going to copy Buzzsaws post and put it in here and delete the other thread since we can't merge.

Posted by Buzzsaw

It's a little late to stop people from making out at school anyway.  That's been going on forever - you can't just expect it to stop because you want it to.

I also want to know how they justify this line: It states: "Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved."

What the fuck is that?  How does it discredit the school, but moreso, how does it discredit the people involved?  Damn - I'd have been expelled from this school with all the shit I did on school property.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

They'll give her free condoms and birth control pills, but a detention for hugging?

This country needs to wake the fuck up.

Makes absoultely zero sense.

And on the other hand, they'll play some increadibly slutty music at a dance, but then tell you there has to be a certain distance between you at all times.  It makes no senses

Board footer