You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Guns N' Roses to release Chinese Democracy single

bigbri wrote:
madagas wrote:

we are barely a day in to this officially and I am already sick of the conversations about sales and old/vs new and whether the song will be popular or not. I FUCKING HATE HOW THESE THREADS TURNOUT.

Yes, it's as old as anything.

But while the haters can preach to the few dozen or so on internet forums, positive reviews like the L.A. Times one and this one, written by me and going in to the newspaper I work for tomorrow, reach hundreds of thousands--more if it's online.
SINGLED OUT
Songs to keep an ear on.
Guns N' Roses
"Chinese Democracy"
RATING: 3 stars
The title track to Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" hit radio Wednesday--no joke. It starts with simple acoustic plucking before a screeching, fuzzy guitar riff kicks in. Then, Axl Rose's trademark scream rises from the distance and kicks off the heart of the song. Axl is the Axl of old, albeit not quite as high pitched. His vocals take a back seat just long enough for a dual guitar solo punctuated by Buckethead's trademark killswitch and guitar heroics--Guitar Hero fans know what I mean--before Axl and Co. shout their way to the end: "And you're out of time." No, it' right on time--finally.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:
Saikin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Wow, I always thought for sure that first part of the CD solo was Robin.

It is.  The first part is Robin, and then the shredding comes in and that's where Bucket starts owning this song.  5

Not to get negative - I love what Bucket does - but 'owning' makes it sound like the song was so-so and then Bucket came in and made it fantastic. GNR is rolling on all cylinders here. Axl, Tommy, Robin, whoever is drumming, hell even Ron and the Dizzy-Pitman combo, they all play their asses off here. Bucket is doing crazy awesome shit on CD, but he's not the only one.

A song Bucket 'owns' might be IRS - where it's somewhat forgettable (sorry Neemo, my opinion) until he kicks in. But CD, Riad, Shackler's, Better, Street of Dreams, these are all songs where the 'band' is working as one.

The band is spot on the whole time.  I like Ron's contributions as well.  I like the added rhythm parts.  My comments towards Bucket were not putting down the band in any way.  They all own these songs in some way or the other. 

I was just trying to point out how it was nice to hear that BH is still getting his fair share after 4 years.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That is just your opinion.  You have no facts that we will be the only people buying this record.  You have no facts that no one will like this song in a week. 

I admit, people are jumping the gun a little, but we're all excited.  In another week or so we will be able judge the situation better once the song has more listeners and therefor more response.

You're right, and I never stated it was a fact.  It is all my opinion and never said otherwise.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Great. Can someone upload an mp3 of this fucker? I can't get Audacity working to record the stream from the GN'R website, and until they release the official single I need something to put on my iPod...

In case you missed it a few pages back, there's an article on a Swiss web page that has what appears to be the single cover art, as well as an embedded mp3, which is downloadable when you read the page's html.

huntermc wrote:
Roxxie wrote:

Found this link, without the voiceovers...it also appears to have the single artwork http://www.20min.ch/unterhaltung/sounds … e-19640908

Awesome! Especially because this link is embedded in the page: http://www.20min.ch/tooldata/sound/540.mp3

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Congrats!  Following up weak with weak and hypocritical isn't an easy thing to do...most people would have let it go at weak.

You state your opinion (your "proof") as though it's fact, then get on me for it?  Again, weak.  Also hypocritical.   There's no point in wasting time on you when you put nothing into it yourself.  Come back with something credible and well thought out and I'll consider actually responding, otherwise, consider this discussion over.

Ok, here's how it works. The record label isn't dumb. They're not going to put poor marketing behind a multi-million dollar project and release a single that will turn people off to the album. That's what a single is: A marketing strategy to sell their product- the album. When the album is completed and they're preparing the  release, they put together a 'listening panel'. The panel listens to the songs and vote on what they think is best, or what they would like to hear. The panel is made up of different sexes, ethnicities, etc. The idea is to get the opinion of the general public, not just the diehards and internet nerds (us.) This is how they arrive at what gets released as a single. Hence, CD won, and as I have previously stated, it has what a single needs. Later on in this thread you said that what you were saying was all your opinion. I called you out because in your original post, nowhere was there a "in my opinion", or "I think..". No, you said that releasing this as a single was going to make the album tank, that this was the next SBQM. You never stated that was just your opinion, you actually said it very matter of factly.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mickronson wrote:

www.bumblefoot.com : "The wacky solos on this one are all Buckethead kickin' ass.  I played fretless rhythm guitar, all the low sliding stuff panned left and right throughout the song."

He did an amazing job. Its actually quite shocking that all those years no one was able to come up with something to fill in/replace that tinkering stuff from Pitman on the song.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Oh and I sincerely hope that CD is the opener at all future shows. That would just kick ass.

Because, as I've explained, it's a good choice for a first single as well as the first song in a set!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Congrats!  Following up weak with weak and hypocritical isn't an easy thing to do...most people would have let it go at weak.

You state your opinion (your "proof") as though it's fact, then get on me for it?  Again, weak.  Also hypocritical.   There's no point in wasting time on you when you put nothing into it yourself.  Come back with something credible and well thought out and I'll consider actually responding, otherwise, consider this discussion over.

Ok, here's how it works. The record label isn't dumb. They're not going to put poor marketing behind a multi-million dollar project and release a single that will turn people off to the album. That's what a single is: A marketing strategy to sell their product- the album. When the album is completed and they're preparing the  release, they put together a 'listening panel'. The panel listens to the songs and vote on what they think is best, or what they would like to hear. The panel is made up of different sexes, ethnicities, etc. The idea is to get the opinion of the general public, not just the diehards and internet nerds (us.) This is how they arrive at what gets released as a single. Hence, CD won, and as I have previously stated, it has what a single needs. Later on in this thread you said that what you were saying was all your opinion. I called you out because in your original post, nowhere was there a "in my opinion", or "I think..". No, you said that releasing this as a single was going to make the album tank, that this was the next SBQM. You never stated that was just your opinion, you actually said it very matter of factly.

I'm sorry, where is your "I think" in this entire statement?  After all, this is just what you think and not fact at all. 

Fortunately for you, I understand when you say something, it is just your opinion where you do not seem to get that about others.  You don't need to add "I think" for me to understand that it is just some guy having an opinion.  Thank you for proving my point, unless you're implying that you were part of the decision making for the marketing of this album. 16

Board footer