You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If there is a reunion, where do people stand?

James wrote:

As I have stated in a couple threads recently, I think Slash has permanently closed the door on a reunion. Axl ran his mouth too much.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I'd love to hear Axl's take on Contraband. If they had put that sucker out in 1994 with Axl on vocals it would have been massive..

James

James wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I'd love to hear Axl's take on Contraband. If they had put that sucker out in 1994 with Axl on vocals it would have been massive..

Not trying to diss VR fans, but there's no way in hell Axl would have laid down vocal tracks for that album. It isn't at the GNR standard. If those instrumentals were handed to him, Slither is probably the only track he would have accepted. FTP is a possibility, although he probably would have just kept that solo and had them rework the rest of the song. Snakepit is better than Contraband, and he initially rejected that album.

Had GNR released Contraband in 1994, I would have been very disappointed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Snakepit is better than Contraband, and he initially rejected that album.

Which is just bizzare, I guess it is very old-school style riffing in the style of Aerosmith and AFD...so if Axl was obsessed with doing something new at the time then it would have seemed limiting creatively speaking.

Guitar wise...I think Snakepit 1 is better all of VR and actually even a lot of GNR songs. Like in terms of Slash's parts...way more complex in Snakepit...just amazing....

James

James wrote:

Yeah, the first Snakepit is great. Slash was on top of his game on that record. Its no surprise Axl wanted the music back after rejecting it. He probably listened to it a second time and said, "HEY, wait a minute......"

Too late. Slash doesn't fuck around. When he records something, it shows up in record stores pretty quickly.

julia (babydolls)
 Rep: 6 

Well - here's where I stand.  I fell in love with and grew up on the old line-up from the age of 12 - there was no other band that grabbed me as much, but I never got to see them play live (as they didnt play in Scotland until 2006 - a slight bone of contention for me!) - SO, yes of course I would like to see the original line-up play together, BUT my feelings on a reunion have not been quite so passionate over the last few years.  I LOVED the GnR gigs I went to in 2006, had the time of my life at each of them.  Yes, I would love to see Axl and Slash share a stage - but it doesnt have to be a GnR song they are playing.  I just dont think I'll ever get to see them play Double talkin jive or Locomotive together, and I have to accept it.  I feel very fortunate in that I've now seen ex-Gnr members play live in other bands (slash's snakepit, VR, Izzy in GnR last year) - and so I feel a lot happier that I've seen most of my favourite musicians live.  That means the most to me. 
I'd certainly pay the money if a reunion was to happen - but I think there is little chance of that happening - and these days thats fine by me.  I want to be able to see my favourite musicians play live - and that's whats happening.
Maybe its more likely that axl and slash would play together as guests with another band (Stones?) - at some point (hopefully). In the same way that it felt very satisfying to see Izzy last year with GnR, I'd love to see axl and slash onstage together. one day maybe. 

And yes - first snakepit album fkn rocks.

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

Jameslofton wrote:

As I have stated in a couple threads recently, I think Slash has permanently closed the door on a reunion. Axl ran his mouth too much.

No way.

I think all it would take would be for Axl to actually man up and talk to him. If Axl were to actually take some kind of blame for what happened in the past, I think it would change everything.

You don't hear Slash saying he wouldn't ever want to do a reunion. He just simply says he doesn't see it happening. You can't blame him for thinking that. Slash has tried to talk to Axl and he's said multiple times in the past year that he takes responsibility for some of the downfall. But as far as we know, Axl still hasn't talked to him. Before this could ever happen, I think Axl needs to shit can his yes-men like Beta and Del and start acting like a 45 year old man, instead of the whiney little kid like he's been for the past decade.

I don't think even Axl himself has completely closed the door on a reunion eventually. He still hasn't been able to put out his album with the new hires. I think he thinks about how this may affect a possible reunion more than some of you like to think. I still say it happens eventually. When, I have no idea.

bba

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Even the quote that seems to slam the door isn't complete.  I think if he really felt that Axl respected him, he'd do a reunion tomorrow.  He's just being realistic because that isn't going to happen.

Sky Dog wrote:

dec 1999 Axl on Snakepit..
Rose: You could find ways to blend all kind of things. It really just takes the right song. I don't personally believe that was the interest of Guns or Slash, I don't believe the right song was the interest. I mean, what people don't know is, the [Slash's] Snakepit album, that is the Guns N' Roses album. I just wouldn't do it.

Loder: Really?

Rose: Oh, yeah! Duff walked out on it, and I walked out on it, because I wasn't allowed to be any part of it. It's like, "No, you do this, that's how it is." And I didn't believe in it. I thought that there were riffs and parts and some ideas, I thought, that needed to be developed. I had no problem working on it, or working with it, but you know, as is, I think I'm with the public on that one.

2002 interview with Del
'Originally I intended to do more of an Appetite style recording but with the changes in the band's dynamics and the band's musical influences at the time it didn't appear realistic. So, I opted for what I thought would or should've made the band and especially Slash very happy. Basically I was interested in making a Slash record with some contributions from everybody else. There'd still be some chemistry and some synergy happening and whatever dynamics anyone else could bring in to the project. It seemed to me that anytime we got close to something that would work, it wasn't out of opinion that Slash would go '˜hey it doesn't work', but it was nixed simply because it did work. In other words, '˜Whoa, wait a minute. That actually might be successful, we can't do that.' People like to call me paranoid. It has nothing to do with paranoia; it was to do with reality. If the material were strong enough for me to sink my teeth in then I would still be in a certain public position in regards to Guns, we'd have possibly still held a certain popularity with the public as I have previously been fortunate enough to have had.

Had Slash stepped up and written what we captured glimpses of, it would have created an environment that was beyond Slash's ability to control. He did not want to do that or put himself through the rigors of taking the band to that level even if he was capable of writing it. Was he capable of doing it? Absolutely 100%. I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith's Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. I don't know if I would have wanted to even do a world tour at the time but I wanted to put that record together and could we have done it? Yes. It's not something I would want to approach (without Slash) because at the time there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. We still needed the collaboration of the band as a whole to write the best songs. Since none of that happened, that's the reason why that material got scrapped. "

Axl is really not inconsistent at all regarding the Snakepit era material and what was going on at the time. To me, it seems that he liked certain riffs and wanted to work with certain material. However, Slash wanted the entire body of stuff as the next Gnr record. Duff has statements similar to these as does Slash. Slash is also the only one who ever alleged that Axl wanted to take the material back. I think it is clear that he would have wanted some of the ideas from Snakepit but certainly not all. Sic has more of this stuff and if you read it in it's entirety and I have a hundred times, the stories really are consistent.

Now this is the other side of the coin I am looking for.   I love how he says people think he's paranoid.   This just goes to show they both just couldn't work together in the end, not just Axl being a controlling, spoiled brat [even tho I have a 91 interview in which he does call himself a brat..LOL], it's both of them Slash wasn't liking Axl's ideas and Axl wasn't liking some of Slash's.  He was even going to give in to Slash mostly on what Slash wanted with contributions from everyone else and Slash still wasn't having it.  Definitely a two way street here.

Thanks for posting Madagas!

Board footer