You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Slash Confirms RCA Split

Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff has one of the greatest Bass Tones ever.  Killer bass lines in SCOM and nice acoustic guitar work on Patience.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff has one of the greatest Bass Tones ever.  Killer bass lines in SCOM and nice acoustic guitar work on Patience.

Yes Duff's work on AFD is excellent - sounds to me like a certain someone liked the SCOM bass lick so much he stuck similar to it on the start of Street of Dreams. Cant forget its So Easy either - thats classic Duff. I think he even wrote the song didnt he? One (of many) writing credits for Mr McKagan. If he only had one credit over the best part of a decade I'd agree that it wasnt worth having him in the band.

This isnt a Tommy v Duff thread though - but I agree that the new album would cerainly benefit from the work of the old Gunners. It definitely lacks that organic feel and edge that they brought to the table.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

It cannot be organic when the parts are recorded across the globe in like 10 years and some of the musicians who play on the same song haven't ever met. You could hire Slash, Duff, John Petrucci, Buckethead, Tony Levin, Andrew Llloyd Webber, Jon Lord and Trent Reznor, with this recording process/system Axl used the result wouldn't be more organic.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

It cannot be organic when the parts are recorded across the globe in like 10 years and some of the musicians who play on the same song haven't ever met. You could hire Slash, Duff, John Petrucci, Buckethead, Tony Levin, Andrew Llloyd Webber, Jon Lord and Trent Reznor, with this recording process/system Axl used the result wouldn't be more organic.

Sure, I agree with you there. I guess what I was thinking was that the old band were exactly that, a band, that all jammed together and got things done properly in a rock n roll kinda way. In that sense its more organic. Whereas the new bunch of whoever it is now dont really have any chemistry IMO.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Locomotive you nail it, no chemistry at all...  No plan at all on the songs or arrangement.. They just kept layering and layering solos and fills all over the place...

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I'm surprised RCA didn't drop their shit long ago. I'm surprised Libertard ever got pressed.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm glad they released it.  It's my favorite post GnR performance from Slash...it's too bad the mix on it was horrible and you can't hear his work through half of the album.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

I think Duff is a very underrated bass player. He approaches his role almost like a rhythm guitar player, and his sound is crucial to the classic Guns' albums. Tommy Stinson, on the other hand, has been rendered nearly irrelevant in the mixing of the new material. Either that or his contributions weren't that strong to begin with (and I suspect the latter).

I suspect your wrong....Duff just copied Slash by his own admission. Anyhow, Velvet sucked and Duff is now a dried up, washed up tea toddling business man. Give me the guy who has been a tried and true rocker since he was 13.:beer::mosh: 19

yea, I know, I'm the only Tommy Stinson fan on the planet....blah blah blah.

Gimme a break. I'm sure Duff could do anythng that was asked of him in studio. It's not like the bass playing on CD is earth shattering. In fact there's nothing on CD that the old band couldn't have done and maybe even done better.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Bono wrote:

Gimme a break. I'm sure Duff could do anythng that was asked of him in studio. It's not like the bass playing on CD is earth shattering. In fact there's nothing on CD that the old band couldn't have done and maybe even done better.

That's a bit of a reach. I don't think anyone thinks Tommy's playing on CD is earth shattering. For one thing, it doesn't need to be earth shattering. It just has to go with the context of each song, and in fairness to Tommy, I think people should ease up on any harshness simply for the fact he is buried in quite a few of these tracks. Even in moments where he does shine(IRS), he's competing with too many other sounds. He certainly earns his paycheck on Riad, and while I do like Duff, I cant imagine him playing on that. Its a slight step outside of his comfort zone.

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

I think Duff is a very underrated bass player. He approaches his role almost like a rhythm guitar player, and his sound is crucial to the classic Guns' albums. Tommy Stinson, on the other hand, has been rendered nearly irrelevant in the mixing of the new material. Either that or his contributions weren't that strong to begin with (and I suspect the latter).

I suspect your wrong....Duff just copied Slash by his own admission. Anyhow, Velvet sucked and Duff is now a dried up, washed up tea toddling business man. Give me the guy who has been a tried and true rocker since he was 13.:beer::mosh: 19

yea, I know, I'm the only Tommy Stinson fan on the planet....blah blah blah.

I'll give you a break....I like Duff too and of course he could have done fine. However, the needless digs at Stinson bug the fuck out of me. Period. 4

Board footer