You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: How many CD songs would these solos

Smoking Guns wrote:

Have helped?  When the wah part kicks in on the Solo, that emotion reminds me of Sorry...  I chose this song cause its a ballad by Slash, written by Slash around the same time Axl was working on his epics.  Now the second one is a song written by elan, in which Slash takes the song to a whole other level, like he did with Axl's songs back in the day.  This too is from around that era.  My God, that solo on Street Child is so fucking amazing.... Imagine This I Love with that solo.....  I hate to be that guy posting this, but to me, this album (CD) could have, and should have been much more..... 

or

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

To tell the truth, as much as I miss Slash, I can imagine an Axl-fronted band without him, like I can imagine a great band with Slash and without Axl. I'm more concerned about why Slash didn't really prove himself on the VR records, Occasionally he does, but while he was doing several great collabos, the VR albums lacked the Street Child caliber solos. They left off even Messages.
On the other hand I agree that CD would have needed Slash or a sane Axl who can tell good solos from failures. I don't blame Finck for being unable to play better than a 6-year old deaf boy on TIL, I don't blame Ron for his sub-BH Rhiad solos, don't blame CITR on the guitarists. I blame Axl, since we know that better guitar solos existed, yet he chose these, and we don't even know how many different takes the guys had on the songs. Based on Ron's comments that he played like 100 solos for Axl to find the right one, I think it's a tragedy that half of the solos suck on CD. (Some are great though.)

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Agree....  VR fails because of the lead singer.....  Snakepit was a better band than VR..  Take Weilands vocals off of VR's albums and you have some good stuff there.  I agree with you about Axl no knowing a good solo... Maybe that was on purpose.  Maybe he didn't want to be overshadowed.. Picking bad solos shows Axl is stronger and keeps Slash's legacy intact?

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

We're heading some conspiracy territory wink I don't think Axl chose worse solos to have no rival for the spotlight. Well, maybe he didn't want too much BH, after the guy had quit, and wanted to have Bumble's presence 'flt' on the record, but I can imagine the maestro, tinkering on a song for a decade, has heard the same (great) solo for the zillionth time, is feeling something fresh when he hears a new take. On the other hand some solos are relly that bad, that he should have heard it, since he's a genius in music and I'm not, but even I can tell. And there wasn't anyone around him to sometmies enlighten the obsessed mage.

Sky Dog wrote:

that Snakepit song was god AWFUL and the Street Child solo was as out of tune and pitchy as Robin's on TIL....too funny. WE HEAR SIMPLY WHAT WE WANT TO HEAR. 22

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

that Snakepit song was god AWFUL and the Street Child solo was as out of tune and pitchy as Robin's on TIL....too funny. WE HEAR SIMPLY WHAT WE WANT TO HEAR. 22

I agree with the last sentence.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

me too lol

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
madagas wrote:

Or to put it in other terms:

"We judge a book by it's cover and read what we want, between selected lines" 9

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

So the GNR cover makes it better?  I agree with that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

There's nothing with CD that Slash could 'help' in any way. The only CD songs I could see his guitar on are the songs Catcher In The Rye & This I Love, but he wouldn't improve it any.

The song would still be the same in my mind.

I think Eddie Trunk touched on this tonight in some way, CD is so far far far removed from old Guns, Appetite specifically, in an almost totally different world, that Slash, as a guitarist, doesn't even work on the songs. Same reason through Buckethead or Ron Thal on VR tracks would just be - "huh?"

With so many breakup bands, and solo acts in rock over the years, I don't think i've ever seen a breakup, with the two major artists going in such polar opposite directions musically - ever.

Board footer