You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Re: Re-Visiting Contraband

Acquiesce wrote:

I completely agree with you D. I think Contraband is a good rock album with a lot of catchy tunes that stick in my head. I also think Libertad is criminally underrated. Neither of these albums live up to the original GNR and they aren't mindblowing, but they are solid albums nonetheless, IMO. I don't get the hate for them. I don't think they are any worse than CD that's for sure.  I enjoy all of VR's ballads way more than the ballads on CD. Scott is an inferior vocalist and lyricist to Axl, but I like the simplicity of VR's ballads more than the over the top and sometimes corny CD ballads. I also think Slash has much more feel and emotion on these songs which elevate them unlike the guitarists on the CD ballads.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Contraband was never meant to be a record that is deep and full of meaning and complex arrangements. It's a good old straight up helping of hard rock and that makes me a happy camper. You got to take it for what it is.. It's a good hard rock record with some killer songs. You'll never get the kind of arrangements or the "mind blowing" songs people seem too seek from GNR member's side projects. Not until you get certain people in the same room together will that magic appear again.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Contraband was never meant to be a record that is deep and full of meaning and complex arrangements. It's a good old straight up helping of hard rock and that makes me a happy camper. You got to take it for what it is.. It's a good hard rock record with some killer songs. You'll never get the kind of arrangements or the "mind blowing" songs people seem too seek from GNR member's side projects. Not until you get certain people in the same room together will that magic appear again.

Excellent post.  I doubt going into making this album, Slash, Duff and Matt went- "Dude- we need a song as complex as Estranged", or "What about we put a piano solo, followed by the bridge, then an extra guitar solo, then we'll play the outro, but then do another guitar solo, and then do the outro again". 

They wanted a straight ahead rock album, and they delivered.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I'm not talking about Estranged complex, I'm talking Nightrain and Jungle complex. Interesting riffs and melodies playing off each other. Contraband remind me more of some of AC/Dcs late 80s albums.

Some interesting ideas and cool parts, but as a whole forgettable. Slither is the only song I still feel like playing.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'm not talking about Estranged complex, I'm talking Nightrain and Jungle complex. Interesting riffs and melodies playing off each other. Contraband remind me more of some of AC/Dcs late 80s albums.

Some interesting ideas and cool parts, but as a whole forgettable. Slither is the only song I still feel like playing.

That's true as well.  I think most of that stems from the lack of a really creative rhythm player.  Dave does good, but he can't write songs like Izzy.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Slash's melodies on FTP and LTA own all for me.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

CB kicks ass. It's even better live too...the record was a little flat in terms of production guitar sound IMHO...but you see it live and Slash knocks your balls off.

I think Snakepit #1 is better though....that's got afd style riffs all over it!

5 o clock somewhere was the shit.....

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Saikin wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

i was a huge fan of CB when it came out.. still am.
i was a huge fan of stp as well... so take that for what it is... the songs are great..it's exactly what i expected. i hold CD closer to  my heart cuz of the drama involved.. and i almost always gave axl the edge over slash. i was kinda bummed out that the material that they wrote with izzy was pretty much scrapped.. (save "do it for the kids/bomb")..and some of the songs BEGGED for axl..( "big machine" )... 7/10
libertad was another story altogether...some interesting, catchy stuff.. but too fucking quirky for it's own good.. while contraband was clearly GNR territory musically ... libertad had no distinguising features.. it was like they tried to "forge their own sound" and ended up making a sexed up "shangri la-dee-da" it's not a bad record.. i just expected much more...5/10( and that's being generous bacause i like the musicians involved)

I have never thought of Libertad as a sexed-up Shangri-La.  Interesting.

I wouldn't say that. I really like Shangri-La DeDa, I think it's STP's finest album. Libertad is far from being even close to that.

Board footer