You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Pep rally tug-of-war results in severed hands

James wrote:

PARKER, Colo. - It was supposed to be a celebration at Lutheran High School southeast of Denver, but the homecoming festivities turned into a tragic accident.

During a pep rally inside the school's gymnasium Friday afternoon, the senior football players took to the court to play a game of tug-of-war with the junior football players.

Witnesses say during the competition, two juniors, who had the rope wrapped around their hands, started to scream.

Sophomore Jenni Kjerstad said it was a chaotic scene inside the school.

"Hearing it was pretty gross. There was like a lot of people screaming and just all blood flying everywhere and just people running out of the room," she said.

Parker Police say the boys suffered severe injuries, partially severing their hands.

"The injuries consisted of partial amputation of the right hand on both players," said Lt. Sam Realmuto of the Parker Police Department.

The boys, Henry Barrett and Mitch Helfer, were rushed to nearby hospitals, where they had to undergo surgery to save their hands.

Barrett is listed in critical condition, while Helfer's condition was not immediately known.

Counselors were brought to the school for students who witnessed the accident or were affected by the event.

"We're praying for all you guys," said Kjerstad.

Lutheran High School says it has postponed all homecoming events until further notice.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

How do you sever your hand in a game of tug of war?  I can see getting rope burns, but losing a hand?

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

How do you sever your hand in a game of tug of war?  I can see getting rope burns, but losing a hand?

Get a grip.  big_smile

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Backslash wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Get a grip.  big_smile

I think it would have been better to let go in this case.  Suddenly, losing isn't so bad (as long as it isn't a hand).

Jesus it's like a horror movie.   OMG, they must have had the rope wrapped so tight that it ripped their hands off.   Good Grief 18

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Man. Ouch.

My school's having its homecoming week this week, hopefully no one loses their hands during it.

Board footer